Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Teague
Iron Man

Any Given Sunday in Comics?

The discussion of Nova/Cannonball brought up some other match-ups that seemed unwinnable (i.e. Batman could only beat Wonder Woman by using Superman, etc.)

This made me consider: I'm actually a fan of the any-given-Sunday rule for superhero fights. That is, I think given the right (and logical) circumstances, that a lower-powered hero might have a shot at a higher-powered one. I'm thinking Spiderman vs. Juggernaut, for example.

Or am I alone in this?
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Does this image suggest that you think I'm outstanding in my field?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Does this image suggest that you think I'm outstanding in my field?
LOL.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

As power is just one factor in determining the winner in any fight, it is certainly logical (and mind you more interesting to read) that a character of lesser strength or skill wins over a superior opponent,

Spider-Man is a great example as he seems on occasion able to beat someone on a completely different power level than himself; Juggernaut, Firelord, and Iron Man 2020 come immediately to mind.

Its part of the reason I never really found the Hulk all that interesting a character to read as, by his own definition, he never fights anyone stronger than himself.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
As power is just one factor in determining the winner in any fight, it is certainly logical (and mind you more interesting to read) that a character of lesser strength or skill wins over a superior opponent,

Spider-Man is a great example as he seems on occasion able to beat someone on a completely different power level than himself; Juggernaut, Firelord, and Iron Man 2020 come immediately to mind.

Its part of the reason I never really found the Hulk all that interesting a character to read as, by his own definition, he never fights anyone stronger than himself.
Great point about the Hulk. That's often the out, I agree. That's one reason I always really loved the Hulk stories that were more internal, or about the characters and not the power. I liked Peter David's run for exactly that reason.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Spidey doesn't beat Juggernaut, Juggernaut beats himself lol. ASM 229/230 clearly shows a "realistic" battle between Spidey and Juggy. Spidey couldn't even faze him but ultimately out witted him by making him walk in the settling concrete for the foundation of a building. You ever read the Hulk vs Batman treasury? Assumming Batman is a master fighter there is still no way humanly possible for him to strike the Hulk's nerve points and stun him at all. The Hulk's skin easily repels bullets and bombs so Batman's mightiest strikes to his nerve points would never be felt. So I guess what my point is that most of our faves, like Bats and Cap, normally win by fighting smarter than their normally overpowering oppenents. They do not win via fist a cuffs alone.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I've never read that treasury, or know all about the Hulk, but could the idea of Batman hitting an internal nerve point in the Hulk be akin to a blade of grass that can pierce a tree?

Can enough focused force get things thru his skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Spidey doesn't beat Juggernaut, Juggernaut beats himself lol. ASM 229/230 clearly shows a "realistic" battle between Spidey and Juggy. Spidey couldn't even faze him but ultimately out witted him by making him walk in the settling concrete for the foundation of a building. You ever read the Hulk vs Batman treasury? Assumming Batman is a master fighter there is still no way humanly possible for him to strike the Hulk's nerve points and stun him at all. The Hulk's skin easily repels bullets and bombs so Batman's mightiest strikes to his nerve points would never be felt. So I guess what my point is that most of our faves, like Bats and Cap, normally win by fighting smarter than their normally overpowering oppenents. They do not win via fist a cuffs alone.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Does the idea of any-given-Sunday mean they have to beat them by hand-to-hand combat? Or just outwit the higher-powered one?

If it includes out-thinking, then ITA about any-given-Sunday. I mean Batman lives off it
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Teague
Iron Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Does the idea of any-given-Sunday mean they have to beat them by hand-to-hand combat? Or just outwit the higher-powered one?

If it includes out-thinking, then ITA about any-given-Sunday. I mean Batman lives off it
Nope; outwitting is the way most lower-powered heroes win the day. Spidey isn't the only one who's done it this way (but he often did). Thing used it a couple of times to "beat" Hulk when sheer muscle didn't work. And so on.

And good point about Bats; this is pretty much his schtick!