Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Is Collecting Worth It?

I sometimes ask myself that, more an more actualy.

The most of the time when I think about this is when I can't sell the stuff I want to sell and when I do sell I don't break even from the money I purchased the collectible for. I started this hobby because of the memories an the value the character's have to me from when I was a child or character's that I think are realy well developed story wise and charatcer deisgns wise.

After I started selling im realy asking myself is it worth it. I answer myself Yes because the statue's I have are character's I like and have pesonal value to me. I also answer myself No it cost way to much money and when selling you loose to much money it's not good. One of the thing's that I realy regret buying is all those Kotobukiya Star Wars vinyl statue's you can't sell them gain so now I just have alot of those in my closet a total waist of money.

W1 got me thinking he want's to cut down on his collecting because he want a house and that's a realy good thing to use money on better than statues if you ask me.

There are still some statue's I would like to get and keep but all in all im don't want to use too much money on collecting. I only want to buy statue's if it realy means something to me and I know that I will definetly want this one in my collection. too many times have I bought a statue because oh that super hero is kinda cool.

Way too many of my statue's I think are either corny or tacky to have on display so they are boxed or being boxed.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

It's worth it. The "buying a house" point is a good one. We purchased a home 7 years ago and I just had to re-prioritize. Mortgage, tuitions, utilities, groceries, retirement, large emergency fund, etc..., these all have to come first. Now, I really have to budget for my hobby. I buy only a few a year so I make certain that they're the characters I know and love. I never consider the resale factor. Maybe I will one day or let my children handle it when I'm gone.
If you buy every cool statue that comes out you'll spend a ton of money and may ultimately end up with a lot of product you wish you hadn't picked up stuffed into a rented apartment.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Juggernaut
The Falcon

That's exactly what happened I am in a rented apartment I only have one room because I still live home and I have bought alot of stuff I regret.
I should have gotten those money in the bank instead.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
misbitski
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Use Google docs and keep track of how much you spend or recoup from sales. It helps to have that grand total as a reminder IMO.

In the end, sales usually result in a wash. You make $$ on some and lose on others. It's too hard to predict. Just collect what you like and limit it to things you'd like to display and have room for. Also, stick to what has at least some resale value. Generally, Bowen and SSC are the only pieces that tend to hold their value. Anything else should be a guilty pleasure, not an "investment" choice.

Personally, I was trying to save for a house too, but with the market sucking, there aren't too many places you can invest money that it's worth it. Stock market is extremely weak. Your best bet is a money market account, which might yield like 5%. At least with statues, you get some enjoyment out of it. The only downside is that it can take a while to sell these things (finding the buyer, shipping, etc.)

Keep in mind, I've only been collecting these for a year, but I do have a sizable collection at this point. I try to keep it manageable though for my own sanity. My girlfriend hates all the boxes
misbitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

When I first joined the forum, someone in a thread said, if you're doing this to invest your being foolish. Along the lines of what misbiski said, there are alot beter ways to invest. (I don't know them. ) But anyway, that helped me get what I like and I also get BDCC exclusives because hell I pay for the club I figure I should get them. I too am in the process of buying a home. Fortunately I don't HAVE to sell anything, but I have never displayed my collection (Only my first two that I bought are out and displayed.) There are some that I want to sell to help pay for furniture and what not but to get to your point, Juggs, I think its worth it for the reasons you stated: characters that I have an affinity for, the memories and feelings they evoke, and hey its geeky to some people, but its a part of me that I enjoy and when I get my display room together and the statues come out of the closet I know one person that will feel it was worth it, The collector in me.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #6
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I only collect what I like and I like very little that`s being made right now so it`s fine with me I also have self control when it comes to buying anything not just statues.
If you aren`t having fun or it costs too much I say stop collecting and take a break.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

If you buy alot of statues -
I know this may sound weird. But, for one year or even six months, don't buy any statues (or just 2 or three if you would normally buy alot). In your mind's eye, buy the statues you normally would, only put that money in a seperate account. After the time passes, you should see a ton of dough squirreled away. Then, you'll see how much money you'd be able to throw at a home or condo if you were a bit more conservative with your statue money. You may miss a statue that you feel you shouldn't have missed, but you'll get over it and be fine. You can even go back and hunt for it when you're more squared away (providing it's not a clear Ice Man)
Don't get into the trap of having to buy a statue. You have to do many things in life, you can live and even be a collector if you miss one or two or three... Eliminate stress. Have fun. Consider the future.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
You have to do many things in life, you can live and even be a collector if you miss one or two or three... Eliminate stress. Have fun. Consider the future.
Good stuff.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
demonhunter
Kingpin

I think if one were to invest in collectibles as a means of gaining profit, I would advise him to invest in other things. Like financial products, investment schemes. Invest in bonds. Invest in property. Mutual funds. Those would be better at making better returns.

We bought a house about 3 years ago, and because of my commitment to the monthly instalments of the house, I don't spend much on other things like collectible statues.

I collect just for the pleasure of having some of these excellent work of art at home. It is also because I have always loved some of the characters, my heroes like Superman, Spiderman and etc. I rarely think of selling them off. I did try to sell some before, and local buyers were not very keen, unless I threw it out at very cheap prices.

I have seen one local guy trying to sell his Moore Witchblade statue for about 3 years now. Nobody wants it. That's just one of the many examples. At a very affordable price.

I say, collect just for the love of it and the enjoyment of admiring these 3D artwork.

For me, I tell myself not to use credit cards for buying statues. If I can put aside some money every month, and when I have saved enough, then I buy.If not, well I guess there would be next time.

The statues are worth it to me because I just enjoy them.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

If I had not bought my house a couple of years ago, I really don't think there is any way I would have gotten into statue collecting as big as I have now. C.J.'s instincts are correct IMO: owning a home is an incredible thing and should be a priority over trying to buy statues, no matter how cool they are. In the long run, owning a house is worth so much more than a statue collection.

On the flip side, my home office is where I keep my statue collection and it's my favorite room of the house.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote