Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #11
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

I've gotten desensitized to the prices in that nothing shocks me anymore (either asking prices or what people end up paying for stuff at auctions). I got in the game long enough ago and paid so much less than current market value for similar pieces, I just can't bring myself to spend today's asking prices on something even if I really like it.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

For sure, it creeped up on me and before I knew it I was looking at art purchases through a different lens. I have self corrected somewhat once realizing but there isn't a whole lot you can do about it ... you have to spend more money to keep acquiring art at previous rates or cut back. I have decided to cut back in 2018 - we'll see how it goes.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Not sure what 2018 will bring for me art collecting wise. It's definitely an interesting time where I can no longer afford what I collected in the past.

If a Ron Lim Silver Surfer cover came up for auction, I'm pretty sure I couldn't come close to winning it. They were expensive for me in 2005 and 2009. Now I'm pretty sure they are out of reach unless I started selling stuff off.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

It's definitely a seller's market, which has made me get pretty selective in recent years. I keep thinking prices will cool off and slow down, but the market shows no signs of that. Artist's Alley at every show I go to is packed. Granted, not all of those people are buying, but the hobby has definitely attracted new collectors (which ups competition, demand, etc and drives prices up). I just play it pretty safe now as to where & how I spend my money, because with some artists you can recoup your money if need be, but with many others you can't.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It has definitely gotten to a point for me where I will be slowing down. I will still focus on the pockets of the hobby where this trend hasn't had a huge impact. Good for my wallet - bad for my addiction.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:23 AM   #16
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

Not at all. Pricing has always and continues to determine my purchases. I've given myself a little more leeway in terms of what I spend now that I have a full-time job, but overall my $300 spending limit remains intact. Very seldom will I exceed it, and even then it's never by much.

What has changed is what I collect, not how much I'm willing to pay. I don't collect anything DC or Marvel-related anymore, so my range of art subjects has shrunken quite a lot and the lineup of artists who can handle my current preferences is more limited. But in terms of pricing? I'm pretty much where I've always been.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:53 AM   #17
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
I've gotten desensitized to the prices in that nothing shocks me anymore (either asking prices or what people end up paying for stuff at auctions). I got in the game long enough ago and paid so much less than current market value for similar pieces, I just can't bring myself to spend today's asking prices on something even if I really like it.
This seems to be what I went through when I decided to stop collecting all together. The prices just seemed too insane and it wasn't fun collecting anymore.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
tandt71
Doh!

The current prices being asked for many commissions and original art seems to mirror the housing market that led to the economic crisis in America. These prices cannot be sustained forever. It is simple supply vs demand. As soon as the middle class collector stops paying the current market value the prices will come down. Everyone has to eat and that includes an artist. As soon as they can no longer get $100-300 for a head sketch they will be back to doing full figure sketches for $60.
tandt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

The pricing for originals is and always will be a pretty subjective thing just like any original art as it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. I actually thin original prices are much more worthy of the medium and more reasonable for what you get then say the rising cost of the statues we buy or art prints which I think is out of hand.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #20
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandt71 View Post
The current prices being asked for many commissions and original art seems to mirror the housing market that led to the economic crisis in America. These prices cannot be sustained forever. It is simple supply vs demand. As soon as the middle class collector stops paying the current market value the prices will come down. Everyone has to eat and that includes an artist. As soon as they can no longer get $100-300 for a head sketch they will be back to doing full figure sketches for $60.
You can still get full figure sketches for $60, just not from a published professional
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote