Views:	23
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	156654

Click image for larger version

Name:	edc7d380319ab30b64f67021f97e6c46--beautiful-dolls.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	156655

I use to buy these so long ago, but stopped due to how expensive they've become. All made out of resin or porcelain and using lambs hair or other types of hair. Love how they paint the faces. Each with distinct personalities
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:24 AM   #2
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I've also been fascinated by these BJD's, but the adult looking female figures were always super rare to find, and there was always a tendency for the adult male figures to look hyper effeminate

In the main, everything I saw seemed to be aimed at a female audience, including the clothing (load-out ) themes.

All that said, I'd love to get into BJD's, especially the large scale stuff - 1/3 or 1/2 Scale. Cost isn't a huge worry for me, as these things will be cheaper than the high end statues I'm currently purchasing - and as a hobby, there'd be a lot more creative involvement for me, then I get from simply buying a statue.

Great thread.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #3
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I've also been fascinated by these BJD's, but the adult looking female figures were always super rare to find, and there was always a tendency for the adult male figures to look hyper effeminate

In the main, everything I saw seemed to be aimed at a female audience, including the clothing (load-out ) themes.

All that said, I'd love to get into BJD's, especially the large scale stuff - 1/3 or 1/2 Scale. Cost isn't a huge worry for me, as these things will be cheaper than the high end statues I'm currently purchasing - and as a hobby, there'd be a lot more creative involvement for me, then I get from simply buying a statue.

Great thread.
Yes hard to find only because when you order, they only make a few of them and close out the order.

Yes, the males tend to look like females. I personally prefer the female but there are times that you do come across some that look like males. BTW that last picture is a male but the first one could also be male, but not sure LOL

What's great about these is that you can switch out the eyes, eyelashes, hair even the body. You can also purchase clothes which are so expensive. That's why I backed away form this hobby LOL

Also if the body is are not stringed correctly, body become hard to pose. So you might have to re-string them yourself at times. If you dare to. Also the resin can discolor if your not careful with them, like leaving them out in the sun or next to heat.

Ack just to expensive and upkeeping them for me that is, LOL

Oh don't be surprise if you see in the future these BJD come in Silicone, if they haven't already.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
BTW that last picture is a male
Spoiler

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Spoiler

Old 12-13-2022, 02:43 AM   #6
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
Yes hard to find only because when you order, they only make a few of them and close out the order.

Yes, the males tend to look like females. I personally prefer the female but there are times that you do come across some that look like males. BTW that last picture is a male but the first one could also be male, but not sure LOL

What's great about these is that you can switch out the eyes, eyelashes, hair even the body. You can also purchase clothes which are so expensive. That's why I backed away form this hobby LOL

Also if the body is are not stringed correctly, body become hard to pose. So you might have to re-string them yourself at times. If you dare to. Also the resin can discolor if your not careful with them, like leaving them out in the sun or next to heat.

Ack just to expensive and upkeeping them for me that is, LOL

Oh don't be surprise if you see in the future these BJD come in Silicone, if they haven't already.
In spite of those factors - the thing that's attracting me to this medium is the potential. After reading your post, I dived onto YouTube to see what's up. Plenty of videos made by - middle aged ladies and blatantly homosexual men - both of which refer to their dolls as "their girls" .

Now, before the woke hunt me down, that wasn't intended as an attack on either group - BUT.....this shows me the product is definitely aimed at a certain demographic - to which I belong to neither.

But....that doesn't mean this figure format couldn't be a great basis for what I want.....with some work.

One thing I really really like - is the possibility to get a much better ratio of "cost / product engagement" - for around $600 I can get one of these dolls, and it will be a project that could last week's or months - giving me an hourly engagement rate of $15/hr based on the project taking 40hrs.

Compare that to a statue unboxing - which takes about 10 mins - and then you're done. If you're buying a JND piece - that's about $200/min
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote