Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #1621
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
This shady move of holding out on announcing the ES until they get a good chunk of people to PO so they can make EVEN MORE of a piece doesn't help this so Called Limited Edition Statue Market.
Hey, at least its not the Deadpool 1:1 bust which straight up has no ES
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:17 AM   #1622
bonebreak2000
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Why anyone pre orders from sideshow anymore is beyond me. All it does it drive up the eventual ES
bonebreak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #1623
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

If you don't order a statue because you're afraid the Es will be high, you probably don't like the character/statue that much to begin with.

Everyone might as well get over the Es thing. Sideshow saw that the aftermarket was demanding a higher Es on a lot of their pieces so they reacted accordingly. They may have over reacted a bit, but that's all we can do now. In the end, the collectors were the ones that created these high edition sizes. If I were the head of SS and I realized how much money was being left on the table, I'd up the edition sizes too.

The funniest thing of all of this is that the same people who would complain about large edition sizes would be the ones complaining about the fact they missed a pre-order if sideshow was doing 200-300 Es runs.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #1624
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
If you don't order a statue because you're afraid the Es will be high, you probably don't like the character/statue that much to begin with.

Everyone might as well get over the Es thing. Sideshow saw that the aftermarket was demanding a higher Es on a lot of their pieces so they reacted accordingly. They may have over reacted a bit, but that's all we can do now. In the end, the collectors were the ones that created these high edition sizes. If I were the head of SS and I realized how much money was being left on the table, I'd up the edition sizes too.

The funniest thing of all of this is that the same people who would complain about large edition sizes would be the ones complaining about the fact they missed a pre-order if sideshow was doing 200-300 Es runs.
Ordering a statue with a high es straight from sideshow you might be costing your self money unless you want ex. I can buy a Wonder Woman from a local shop or from another seller right now for under 400. Why preorder a $449 from sideshow. High es pieces lose value. Never buy direct from sideshow unless you have reward points it's just blowing money. Waiting for the es is good for everyone involved. Unless you just have deep pockets and don't care about anything else
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #1625
kingdavidf
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
Ordering a statue with a high es straight from sideshow you might be costing your self money unless you want ex. I can buy a Wonder Woman from a local shop or from another seller right now for under 400. Why preorder a $449 from sideshow. High es pieces lose value. Never buy direct from sideshow unless you have reward points it's just blowing money. Waiting for the es is good for everyone involved. Unless you just have deep pockets and don't care about anything else
Well ordering from SS means I get reward points, it means I also get the statue direct from SS and I know they'll take care of me if anything goes wrong. All an Es does for me is knowing how many of them exist in the wild, it hardly affects how I feel about a statue.
kingdavidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #1626
VindictvePotato
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post

I love this deadpool statue, It speaks to me on so many levels and I want to buy it, but when the asking price is this high... I am not going to buy it without a bit of comfort knowing there might be a high chance I will get a return on my investment -- or at least break even --down the line if the need arises. I personally feel fine lopping down $300 - $400 on statues with crazy edition sizes....anything $500+ will have me planning for the future and how I can make that $700.00 -$800.00 work better for me. I don't want to speak for people, but I believe this is the concern for majority of collectors with the exception of those who are wealthy enough to feel like these prices are a drop in the bucket.

There are many nice things I want to buy but refrain from because it just doesn't make sense. This might end up being one of them unless sideshow is willing to make it make sense.
VindictvePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #1627
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindictvePotato View Post
I love this deadpool statue, It speaks to me on so many levels and I want to buy it, but when the asking price is this high... I am not going to buy it without a bit of comfort knowing there might be a high chance I will get a return on my investment
Your first mistake is treating comic book statues as investments instead of the consumerist vanity hobby that it is. Just buy the thing if you like it and can afford it.
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #1628
VindictvePotato
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaMitchell View Post
Your first mistake is treating comic book statues as investments instead of the consumerist vanity hobby that it is. Just buy the thing if you like it and can afford it.
Nope. At over $500.00, I do see it as an investment. No way around that for me.

What is my second mistake?
VindictvePotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #1629
nearmint
Phoenix

When I decide to sell a statue, I feel lucky if I make my money back. Realistically, you're going to lose money. If you take good care of the statue and know how to compose a sales post or eBay listing, you can mitigate your loss.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #1630
SashaMitchell
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindictvePotato View Post
Nope. At over $500.00, I do see it as an investment. No way around that for me.

What is my second mistake?
Do you treat every item over $500 as an investment? How are your investment returns on your washing machine and television? Have prices increased since you bought them? How about the investment returns on your car?

Your second mistake is not understanding what a depreciating asset is.
SashaMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote