Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #1711
COI

They are lowering edition sizes, and they are announcing them in a relatively timely manner for most pieces.

For this piece however, you have a red-hot character and a super ambitious sculpt that probably took a lot of time and money to make. So yeah, they're gonna try to sell as many of these as they can to capitalize on this particular hype train.

The whole reason everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for the ES on this one is because it's a winner. SS also knows it's a winner, so first one to flinch loses.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #1712
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The whole reason everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for the ES on this one is because it's a winner. SS also knows it's a winner, so first one to flinch loses.
forps
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #1713
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
forps
CBG
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #1714
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsinwing1989 View Post
and CBG is waiting for after market.
yes true. It's the new higher prices and massive ex Es with the tons of regs to me who working by the hr at a grocery store near minimum wage to po now or after Es is set. I will own this for sure. Harbottle is one of my favorites. So I buy after release months down the road when collectors need to sell for life reasons. But if the Es is 500-1000, I will po right after Es is set.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #1715
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
But if the Es is 500-1000
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #1716
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
It's for the ex? I didn't mean the entire run of the reg and ex. SS made the turtles at 500? The leopard girl was 500 etc... so we can't be sure yet.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #1717
SONICobra
Batman

leopard girl aint no red sock face guy
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #1718
generalzodlives
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

I think they should announce the ES for all their EX pieces on day 1. They can use whatever system they're using now for the regs.
generalzodlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #1719
dafadcariad
Blue Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
leopard girl aint no red sock face guy

I just snorted out my orange juice.
dafadcariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #1720
ctuckr68
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Most collectors care about resale value because they're spending more than they can afford to lose, and they use the investment angle to justify buying whatever they want. If they only bought things as consumers and not investors, for the sake of ownership, they would have far less and they wouldn't be able to keep up with the Jones'. Most people buy one car, one washing machine, etc to use; they don't collect multiples.

I agree that I think it's better to just spend what you can afford to lose, and not worry about resale and edition sizes, but if everyone thought like that this hobby would shrink drastically. This whole market is propped up on the idea that you can eventually cash out and profit, as are most collectible markets.
I dont think that description applies to most collectors even though probably true in a lot of cases. I get the impression from forums at least that more people are concerned with purchase price losses more so than resale losses. It may be semantics regarding the two, but theres a big difference in my mind. I hate paying more than i need to pay for anything. Its a real kick in the shorts to pay full price for something only to see it cheaper a short time later from coupons, discounts, or even on the secondary market. The recent trend in prices has made every piece a high probability for losing money. I have one piece on PO from last year and i have no more intentions of PO'ing another piece at full price ever again. Ive reached the conclusion its better to buy later and risk a higher price than to consistently throw away money PO'ing what i want. So in essence, yes, i am concerned with resale value, but primarily as it relates to what im paying up front, and not with a mindset of what ill gain unloading an item. I think most collectors tend to look at resale value in similar terms. Thats the impression i get at least. Flippers/investors are an entirely different story though. Theres probably a discussion to be made on if they make up most "collectors" too.
ctuckr68 is offline   Reply With Quote