Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #21
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Considering the film itself is absolutely abysmal, yeah I'm a bit surprised it's doing this well.

Then again people like the Fast and Furious films and Michael Bay's Transformers...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #22
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Considering the film itself is absolutely abysmal, yeah I'm a bit surprised it's doing this well.

Then again people like the Fast and Furious films and Michael Bay's Transformers...so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
That is a fair point.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #23
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
well, i didn't expect Black Panther to be the highest grossing Marvel film.

I was expecting Venom to be decent after 2nd trailer though. Only the Marvel film fans who hate anything outside of Disney Marvel Film Universe were like i hope this would be a flop but even most of them probably liked it in the end.
Black Panther isn't the highest. The three Avengers, Civil War, Iron Man 3 all made more. Don't get me wrong, it was a huge success and fully expect a second and third Black Panther to happen.

I had concerns when I saw the PG13 rating as I thought Deadpool and Logan showed R could work, but hen Venom made more than both of those so what do I know.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
An interesting choice.

Did people think that Black Panther might flop? Don't get me wrong, it did really well, especially domestically, but for me if you're in the MCU right now it is hard to imagine a bomb after Guardians of the Galaxy showed Disney and Marvel can succeed with lesser known characters. I'll be surprised if any MCU movie loses money, included the upcoming Captain Marvel.

Would you have been surprised if Venom would have lost money? Would you if Black Panther?
The definition of "flopping" being making less money than the movie cost then yes I would have believed that to be possible for both. I am not aware of the budgets for either. So I think you are intrinsically tying profits and loses into the revenue for each movie.

I get and agree that Venom feels like a smaller film but therefore less risky.
Black Panther wasn't even on my radar when it was released. I probably did expect Venom to be worse movie. Black Panther is still more surprising because even if I felt it could be better than this Venom I still expected BP to be mediocre. Also would have guessed Black Panther to cost much more and have to earn more to be profitable.

But as someone personally indicated Venom is an EXTREMELY popular CHARACTER much more so than Black Panther (even more so BEFORE Black Panther).
So to conclude, regardless of revenue I would have expected more interest in a Venom movie than a Black Panther movie and for Venom to be a cheaper movie so for Black Panther to both make more revenue and still be so profitable was still way more surprising.

Not many movies make their money now by being good movies but by hype and everyone wanting to feel like part of the crowd. Sometimes a movie being good or bad can affect this and sometimes not.
When a comic book movie hits when the public consciousness is receptive to seeing a comic movie it will make good money.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #25
adee
Green Arrow

Setting aside how surprisingly successful Venom has been, is it any good? I've seen a lot of 'it's better than I thought' and 'it's not terrible' but not many 'I loved it' comments.

There are lots of movies that make money that I think stink so it's not the best barometer for me.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
There are lots of movies that make money that I think stink so it's not the best barometer for me.
Also, some of these "fanboy" movies (I'm not using the term disparagingly) benefit from repeat viewers. I remember hearing a teenager talking about how he had seen Transformers 2 five times in IMAX.

One person watching a movie fives times is not the same as five different people watching a movie once each.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #27
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Setting aside how surprisingly successful Venom has been, is it any good? I've seen a lot of 'it's better than I thought' and 'it's not terrible' but not many 'I loved it' comments.

Movies are more now just a spectacle to see as something to do rather than being good or bad films.
A so so comedy or romance can be terrible to endure but so so special effects movies tend to be more tolerable to a larger audience.
They have become the middle ground for social activity.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM   #28
adee
Green Arrow

The success of a movie should be about more than how much it grosses. I realize it's not but it should be.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #29
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
The success of a movie should be about more than how much it grosses. I realize it's not but it should be.
Super Hero films are made to make money. If you want films which were made without any money consern, check out films which were awarded at Cannes film festival, the art films but will you like them, i'm not so sure.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #30
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Super Hero films are made to make money. If you want films which were made without any money consern, check out films which were awarded at Cannes film festival, the art films but will you like them, i'm not so sure.
Pass

I'm just saying just because Venom made a lot of money doesn't mean it couldn't still be a hot mess. I haven't seen it yet but I'm still skeptical despite it's popularity.