Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #41
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Remember this post?
I do. My comment had nothing to do with this movie. I hadn’t seen it so I wasn’t passing judgment on it. I was merely stating that some bad ideas (like Norman’s affair with Gwen, or One More Day) can come from comics just as good ideas can come from comics. I happened to like Ultimate Spider-Man, even if he’s not the Spidey I grew up with.

Last edited by wktf; 01-10-2019 at 12:27 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #42
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I do. My comment had nothing to do with this movie. I hadn’t seen it so I wasn’t passing judgment on it. I was merely stating that some bad ideas (like Norman’s affair with Gwen, or One More Day) can come from comics just as good ideas can come from comics.
True. I think I was just taken aback by how your previous post was worded. It sounded rather definitive, as if you had agreed with johnclone that it was indeed a bad idea.

To me, while ideas are important, execution is equally important. Barb Wire's story is almost identical to Casablanca's, yet Barb Wire is utterly atrocious.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:07 AM   #43
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
True. I think I was just taken aback by how your previous post was worded. It sounded rather definitive, as if you had agreed with johnclone that it was indeed a bad idea.

To me, while ideas are important, execution is equally important. Barb Wire's story is almost identical to Casablanca's, yet Barb Wire is utterly atrocious.
Interesting. No, actually, I was not agreeing (or disagreeing) with johnclone at all. Apologies that my post came across that way. I agree with your point about ideas vs execution. I’ve made this point often, as well.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:26 AM   #44
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Interesting. No, actually, I was not agreeing (or disagreeing) with johnclone at all. Apologies that my post came across that way. I agree with your point about ideas vs execution. I’ve made this point often, as well.
I feel the feels.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #45
Augen
Metal Men

This film is so hard to judge for me because have the traditional metrics of film and story telling against the emotional ties to a character.

Peter Parker holds a special place in my comic loving heart and was my favorite super hero as a kid. A nerd who gets super powers, struggles, and then emerges as this great hero? Peters will drives him past so many failures early on and to see him grow and achieve despite it all was very cathartic reading comics from the late 80s and early 90s.

Then it became apparent Marvel had no idea what to do with a Peter that got married and was going to be a dad. The only conclusion they seem to understand for Peter are...

1. Murder him
2. Ruin him

Which brings me Spider verse and how it embodies this thinking. We are presented with two distinct Peters. The first is the idealized form knew from the 90s. He is confident accomplished and married while remaining humble and likable. Naturally this Peter must be destroyed, brutally murdered by Fisk early on. (Side note: They made this Peter look like Ben Reilly which raised some clone saga questions in my mind, but won't go there).

The second Peter is a loser, he's lost everything and is cynical about his failures as a hero and a person. He has reverted back to his youth despite being older and fatter. This is the Peter we are given if he cannot be killed, he has to be miserable because for some reason character dynamic shifts bothers Marvel. Even the bittersweet ending for this Peter rang hollow for me because I have no trust they can allow him to be happy for long.

From the comics to film it seems the struggle with Peter is how to move on. They look backward as if the future is inherently worse. Peter has to die, regress, or be replaced and the only way to avoid this is rebooting him. In Spider verse they manage to do all three in one film.

I'm not going to say this was a bad movie. I completely understand why people like it and it has many great qualities. I cannot say I enjoyed it either because of my history and attachment to the character of Peter Parker.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Spiderman into the Spiderverse
5/10

Cool story, but couldn't get past the Celebrity Deathmatch animation.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #47
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
This film is so hard to judge for me because have the traditional metrics of film and story telling against the emotional ties to a character.

Peter Parker holds a special place in my comic loving heart and was my favorite super hero as a kid. A nerd who gets super powers, struggles, and then emerges as this great hero? Peters will drives him past so many failures early on and to see him grow and achieve despite it all was very cathartic reading comics from the late 80s and early 90s.

Then it became apparent Marvel had no idea what to do with a Peter that got married and was going to be a dad. The only conclusion they seem to understand for Peter are...

1. Murder him
2. Ruin him

Which brings me Spider verse and how it embodies this thinking. We are presented with two distinct Peters. The first is the idealized form knew from the 90s. He is confident accomplished and married while remaining humble and likable. Naturally this Peter must be destroyed, brutally murdered by Fisk early on. (Side note: They made this Peter look like Ben Reilly which raised some clone saga questions in my mind, but won't go there).

The second Peter is a loser, he's lost everything and is cynical about his failures as a hero and a person. He has reverted back to his youth despite being older and fatter. This is the Peter we are given if he cannot be killed, he has to be miserable because for some reason character dynamic shifts bothers Marvel. Even the bittersweet ending for this Peter rang hollow for me because I have no trust they can allow him to be happy for long.

From the comics to film it seems the struggle with Peter is how to move on. They look backward as if the future is inherently worse. Peter has to die, regress, or be replaced and the only way to avoid this is rebooting him. In Spider verse they manage to do all three in one film.

I'm not going to say this was a bad movie. I completely understand why people like it and it has many great qualities. I cannot say I enjoyed it either because of my history and attachment to the character of Peter Parker.
You make some great points. I was thrown that Spidey could be killed by The Kingpin whenhes never been a match for Spidey ever in the comics. Still, based on the portrayals of The Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, The Prowler and, of course, Miles, I made an overarching assumption that this entire story took place in the Ultimate Universe and, so, all rules regarding the Spidey I know where off limits.

This was all enforced by the Ben Reilly feel of this universe’s Peter Parker. It wasn’t any Spider-Man I know so I just stayed with it as a completely different Spider-Man universe with its own characters and rules.

I agree completely about the cage fighting feeling at the end. In fact, it was so cacophonous that I couldn’t even really follow it.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #48
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
OK, so I saw this movie today and thought it was really good. My only gripe was with the animation. I know most people say they loved the animation style, and I didn't hate it, but there were a few style choices that I'm not to fond of. I didn't care for the "comic dot" texture prevalent throughout the film, and I really didn't like the weird cyan & magenta, almost 3D (sans glasses) artifacts throughout. I get what they were trying to do with the dots, but the other thing was just odd. At times, I felt like I was watching the 3D version of the movie without the glasses. I just wish the CG animation was a little more traditional, like a Pixar movie.

Oh, and I hated the character design of the Kingpin.

Spoiler

I thought "Liv" Octavius' design was great though!

I agree on Kingpin's design. He looked like something from the mind of Tim Burton, like he stepped out of a Nightmare Before Christmas.

I was also griped once again by how they make Kingpin appear to be stronger than Spiderman which is completely laughable. He is just a regular human...a big strong dude to be sure, but a regular human. Spiderman is infinitely stronger than Kingpin. A couple of punches from Spidey and Kingpin should drop like the huge pile of $#!+e he is.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #49
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
I agree on Kingpin's design. He looked like something from the mind of Tim Burton, like he stepped out of a Nightmare Before Christmas.

I was also griped once again by how they make Kingpin appear to be stronger than Spiderman which is completely laughable. He is just a regular human...a big strong dude to be sure, but a regular human. Spiderman is infinitely stronger than Kingpin. A couple of punches from Spidey and Kingpin should drop like the huge pile of $#!+e he is.
Yep, as depicted in the pre-fiasco that is One More Day, The Back In Black storyline, between his immense strength, super speed and spider sense, Spider-Man mops the floor with The Kingpin every time if he wants to.

I don’t know if all the rules change because this is the Ultimate Universe (I assume, based on the portrayal of The Green Goblin), but Kingpin’s overpowering Spider-Man just isn’t feasible.

Also, can anyone explain Kingpin’s motivation? Where are Vanessa and his son? In a different universe? If so, how did they get there? How did Fisk know they’re there? That whole part just left me scratching my head. I did have to step out of the film for a minute told two, so I may have missed something.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #50
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Also, can anyone explain Kingpin’s motivation? Where are Vanessa and his son? In a different universe? If so, how did they get there? How did Fisk know they’re there? That whole part just left me scratching my head. I did have to step out of the film for a minute told two, so I may have missed something.
The Vanessa and son of Kingpin's universe died in an accident. He makes the LHC to find and get their inter-dimensional duplicates to hopefully connect and reunite with them... no matter the universal costs to everyone and everything else.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote