Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #2451
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I will say this - Maisie Williams is 22 years old IRL. She does NOT look 22. I don't think she looks a day over 16, IRL and on GoT.

Compare Maisie Williams (22) and Sophie Turner (23). Which one has always looked more adult for their age? It's easy to see why lots of viewers could be apprehensive about seeing Arya sex scenes versus Sansa's.
How old does this actor look in their sex scene?

Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM   #2452
fuzzylover
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
1. What 11 year olds have you been around? I have a 16 year old cousin who doesn't look as old as Arya.

2. People can look younger or older than they are. I'm 34 and always get my ID checked, my 36 year old brother hasn't had his checked in a decade.

3. If that is what you see then I'd think her brutally killing would be more upsetting.

We have really warped attitudes about violence and sex in our culture.

It's also sexist because I remember people thinking it was cool that Tommen (who is younger than Arya) having sex with Margery ("nice").
Is this a serious debate we need on a Monday?

Look, my comment isn't some anti-feminist 'ooooh, showing empowered women having sex is bad, but showing a little kid murdered and pinned up to the wall with a bunch of severed limbs is okie dokie by me!'.

For the record I'm a gainfully self employed woman, lesbian, pretty left leaning and about as far from puritanical as you can get, not that you needed to know any of that. I really don't need any help with 'warped' views on sex and violence.

'It's sexist. I remember people thinking it was cool that Tommen was having sex with Margery'. Yeahhhhh well, I don't remember being an advocate of that either or high fiving anyone- thanks for lumping me with 'people'.

Congrats on having an apparently SUPER young looking family. If you have a link to some vitamins I might take to help me in this pursuit I'd appreciate it!

All I was saying is that a whollllllllle lotta heavy stuff was going down across Winterfell and I wouldn't have missed seeing Arya's pre war 'deflowering'. It felt shoehorned in. She just looks too prepubescent to me and it's a bit off putting. I don't need any education on how old these characters are supposed to be in relation to one another.

In the simplest of terms and then I will let this sleeping dog lie:

My PERSONAL EYEBALLS, which visually affirm Arya/Maisie to be a CHILD in appearance, thought it was a bit icky.
fuzzylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #2453
Augen
Metal Men

I didn't give it a second thought until coming into this thread. Others brought up their "icky" feelings on the scene.

“I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off. To my mind this is kind of frustrating, it’s madness. Ultimately, in the history of [the] world, penises entering vaginas have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure; axes entering skulls, well, not so much.”

― George R.R. Martin

This series may not be for you. That's fine, diversity is great and plenty of other stories out there.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #2454
fuzzylover

Quote:
I didn't give it a second thought until coming into this thread. Others brought up their "icky" feelings on the scene.

“I can describe an axe entering a human skull in great explicit detail and no one will blink twice at it. I provide a similar description, just as detailed, of a penis entering a vagina, and I get letters about it and people swearing off. To my mind this is kind of frustrating, it’s madness. Ultimately, in the history of [the] world, penises entering vaginas have given a lot of people a lot of pleasure; axes entering skulls, well, not so much.”

― George R.R. Martin

This series may not be for you. That's fine, diversity is great and plenty of other stories out there.
If the part below ol' George's quote is attributed to me, it's utterly laughable (subtlety isn't your strong suit) and highlights how entirely you don't know me. It also shows why my post counts on the various forums I belong to number so low, despite decades long memberships. You apparently put on your pink hat (I wasn't attempting subtlety there) and have some feminist axe to grind this morning and set your sights on a harmless passing comment of personal opinion as to how a scene in particular looked to me and doubtless other fans. My second paragraph that gave accolade to the brilliant writing this episode and the meaningful interactions apparently had no merit with you.

It's ok. I'm cool with you thinking sex in all its forms is beautiful and worth celebrating and worth including in visual storytelling- even when it involves people who (arguably) look like kids, as long as they're women.

Look, I'll give you two years. She looks closer to 13. Are we square now?

Oh and btw just a helping hand: you really have absolutely no knowledge of my personal opinions on explicit violence, but you've made it pretty crystal clear that we should all be morally outraged and disturbed by it. You'd think you'd channel this righteous indignation into a post of your own. I'm not sure you've seen how pervasive violence is in GoT, but perhaps this series may not be for you. Different strokes and all.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #2455
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

I thought the sex scene could have gone a lot further.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #2456
fuzzylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I thought the sex scene could have gone a lot further.
Could it have? Absolutely, especially in relation to what we've been given in the past.

Did we need it to? Nope. It was fine, and you could actually tell it was a pretty reserved approach to that scene.

I'm guessing it was a combination of the writers and director knowing that it wasn't vital to the storytelling, and perhaps Maisie's own comfort level with what she was willing to show.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #2457
fuzzylover

(hears the sound of furious, angry typing in the background)...

Can we please get back to how amazing this episode was last night?? I think I spent the entire episode choked up.

Brienne's knighting by Jamie though, in particular, was one of the most moving of this entire series. I've been asked a few times by friends and family 'If there is ONE character you want to see make it out alive, who would it be?' and I think I've been saying Tyrion.

Last night, however, forever muddied that water. I want them ALL to make it!!!!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #2458
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylover View Post
If the part below ol' George's quote is attributed to me, it's utterly laughable (subtlety isn't your strong suit) and highlights how entirely you don't know me. It also shows why my post counts on the various forums I belong to number so low, despite decades long memberships. You apparently put on your pink hat (I wasn't attempting subtlety there) and have some feminist axe to grind this morning and set your sights on a harmless passing comment of personal opinion as to how a scene in particular looked to me and doubtless other fans. My second paragraph that gave accolade to the brilliant writing this episode and the meaningful interactions apparently had no merit with you.

It's ok. I'm cool with you thinking sex in all its forms is beautiful and worth celebrating and worth including in visual storytelling- even when it involves people who (arguably) look like kids, as long as they're women.

Look, I'll give you two years. She looks closer to 13. Are we square now?

Oh and btw just a helping hand: you really have absolutely no knowledge of my personal opinions on explicit violence, but you've made it pretty crystal clear that we should all be morally outraged and disturbed by it. You'd think you'd channel this righteous indignation into a post of your own. I'm not sure you've seen how pervasive violence is in GoT, but perhaps this series may not be for you. Different strokes and all.
There is a massive gulf in understanding here. Agree I made a mistake trying to engage in discourse online.

I meant no personal attack, sorry if I hurt you in any way. We don't know one another and are clearly talking past one another.

We like to imagine versions of the person on the other side of the screen that puts us in a place of comfort. I projected based on conversations elsewhere and can see how they makes a feedback loop as you now have a distorted image of me.

I wish you well, I won't persist in this more as think it is not productive for either of us.

What do we think will happen next week?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #2459
fuzzylover

Quote:
There is a massive gulf in understanding here. Agree I made a mistake trying to engage in discourse online.

I meant no personal attack, sorry if I hurt you in any way. We don't know one another and are clearly talking past one another.

We like to imagine versions of the person on the other side of the screen that puts us in a place of comfort. I projected based on conversations elsewhere and can see how they makes a feedback loop as you now have a distorted image of me.

I wish you well, I won't persist in this more as think it is not productive for either of us.

What do we think will happen next week?
Fair enough, and very well put. I have to say that was as mature, civil and de-escalating a response as I've ever seen online. You have my respect!

As far as what happens this week, is anything and everything specific enough?

Carnage. There will be dying. Lots of it. I don't think we'll really get back to Cersei or anyone outside of Winterfell until this all shakes out.

I really don't want to predict deaths, but I do think that I will lament just about everybody sworn to protect Winterfell at this point. I don't want to see anyone die, not human, not dragon, not dire wolf.

To my own personal disappointment, I will have to wait a full 24 hrs to watch it, so will be avoiding any and all tv or social media. Months and months ago we bought tickets to see Cher with our other GoT obsessed friends. We had NO idea at the time that the concert was gonna conflict with the greatest tv battle ever filmed!!!

If I could Turn Back Time.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #2460
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylover View Post
My PERSONAL EYEBALLS, which visually affirm Arya/Maisie to be a CHILD in appearance, thought it was a bit icky.
You need to have your eyes checked.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote