Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
Frinky
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

There's nothing wrong with charging vendor's/ shop's to "hock their wares" on the site. I post on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ and they have a red star (adamantium membership) and a yellow star (adamantium membership for vendor's). There's a seperate section for vendor forum's and marketplace.

When a product get's linked to a non yellow star vendor, they delete it.

It was done out of necessity. The site has over 150,000 members.
Frinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #22
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Personally, I see there being a difference between a store coming on here and advertising their store compared to a forum member posting information about a sale they came across, or happened upon...
Yes, this is a key factor to consider and basically why the question was brought up. We're trying to figure out a way to separate what we consider truly "altruistic" notifications of sales vs a store trying to spam for the sake of generating business and taking advantage of the forum.

Should it simply be a system where stores can't advertise regardless? It should only be their customers posting about a sale or good deal they got? This way, in theory, a store can't spam the forum trying to fish for business. Of course, if we get the sense that a given members is "pushing" a store a little too much (like they're getting paid to do it or getting something for the favor), than that store's out.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #23
dr_teng

A distinction should really be made between sales from stores and sales from stores linked by unrelated people.

Perhaps have a thread where people can post misc. statue or toy deals that they stumble upon themselves, and a subforum where paying merchants get their own thread and can advertise their own sales?

Let's say Midtown Comics doesn't want to pay to have their own thread but they're having a tremendous sale, it would make sense for people to be informed about that nonetheless. But if Midtown were paying for it, they'd have their own thread and could appeal to their customers directly (and targeted advertising like that is obviously in demand).
Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
rychehitman
Galactus

Maybe just an sub section in general discussion or bst for "internet deals"? All threads about any topic that is a shopping sale can be posted there and have Teng be the mod?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #25
ComputerFly
The Phantom

Start a 'Dealer' sub-section. State that if dealers want to advertise, they need to pay for an Adamantium membership. They are only allowed 1 thread. They can update that single thread to their heart's content.

As for 'altruistic' posts, I don't see a problem letting them remain.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
insomniac
Loki

I think SF should continue to allow their members to post links to sales. I believe one of the primary purposes for forums such as this one is for collectors to help each other out and finding good deals definately falls in that category. It would be nice if the owner of the forum could be compensated for this service that they are supplying the retailers. I think if you were to allow members to continue posting links and you only want to charge retailers to post in the adamantium section you will probably get very few paid advertisers. Most retailers would believe that the users postings are adequete and the increase sales from posting in a seperate section to be minimal. I think what SF has to do is show that by paying the retailers will get significantly more traffic than simply having a user post a link in a thread. To do that SF my have to revamp their workflow a bit. A simple suggestion may be to do something like the freaks board where you have a home page and the forum within. On this home page you can post sales news and banners and links. Once the user enters the forum the HOME link will take them back to the main page and there can be additional banners in the forum similar to what you have now. This additional page may help convince the retailer that they will be getting value for their paid advertisement. Also it can be graphical and everyone likes pics.

I did a quick search and according to some web calculators SF is worth over $160,000. You get over 80000 page views so that should be worth something to advertisers.

http://www.websitevaluecalculate.com...tatueforum.com
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

there's a big difference between dealer advertisement and collectors spreading the word amongst each other of a big sale or good deal.

like any business, if you want to compete, be prepared to lower your prices if the economy dictates it. unless you'd like to wait for that one customer with a platinum card. how does anyone know if a dealer having the sale has even heard of this forum anyway?

with sales like midtown comics 40-60% off, those items weren't around for very long. the comic or statue retailer will still sell all their stock and the collectors on this forum will be the losers.

the way i see it is, if the advertisers here want to compete with occasional sales like midtown's, then they should hold an ongoing promo code for collectors from this forum. say....STATUEF. then they get the business and the collector gets a deal with a prearranged percentage off their order...win/win.

otherwise educated collectors will always seek the lowest price...unless their pockets are deep.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
I always like to know when there's a good sale going on so I'm all for allowing sales to be posted. Maybe limit them to one sticky thread in the general statue section or have a section where members can post sales and deals they've found.
I think this is the best way as well...Have like a statue Slickdeal section...
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote