Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #11
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrez View Post
It is great and I'm not trying to be snarky here but can someone help me understand what's going on with Juggernaut?

Is his left arm coming out of his chest and going through Wolverine's right leg? Or is there a spike or something on his chest that's going into the leg? Is the arm between the legs?
That square piece that you’re looking at is actually part of Juggs’ helmet. My girlfriend asked me the same thing. His left arm is on the other side of Wolvies legs, but I know what you’re seeing. I actually think Jae did an outstanding job of juggling all the characters and different delays. It’ll be even clearer once June Cora it
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
What was the wait time?
Thanks for the kind words...and yeah, this was one of the major wait times....3 years.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I think Juggy is giving Wolverine a low blow with his left arm.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
Thanks for the kind words...and yeah, this was one of the major wait times....3 years.
DAMN! That's one hell of a wait. Does the wait tarnish the piece for you in any way?

I know it did for me with EVS but EVS is easy to hate. Jae seems like a nice guy that just can't keep to any type of schedule.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Tons of detail on this – nice to see Jae put this level of work into the piece. Congratulations!

I have the same question as Ken – are you able to appreciate the art purely for the aesthetic of the piece? Or does the excessive wait time taint the art when you look at it? I know we talk a lot on this subject and each person’s perspective can be different. Wait time and quality/frequency of communication are huge keys in how I view a piece of artwork personally. If one is bad (ie long wait) but the other is really good (frequent detailed communication) it is possible to enjoy a piece that takes a long time to arrive. If both are bad – almost certainly I will punt on the piece. I just passed one year on a piece and every email I have sent gets a quick and detailed response so I am content to continue waiting. I even got a prelim that was so detailed that I thought it was the completed piece (looking at it on my phone at least).

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Tons of detail on this – nice to see Jae put this level of work into the piece. Congratulations!

I have the same question as Ken – are you able to appreciate the art purely for the aesthetic of the piece? Or does the excessive wait time taint the art when you look at it? I know we talk a lot on this subject and each person’s perspective can be different. Wait time and quality/frequency of communication are huge keys in how I view a piece of artwork personally. If one is bad (ie long wait) but the other is really good (frequent detailed communication) it is possible to enjoy a piece that takes a long time to arrive. If both are bad – almost certainly I will punt on the piece. I just passed one year on a piece and every email I have sent gets a quick and detailed response so I am content to continue waiting. I even got a prelim that was so detailed that I thought it was the completed piece (looking at it on my phone at least).
In this case, the wait didn’t turn me off the art...partially because the piece turned out beyond what I expected and now that it’s in hand, I feel like I got an amazing, all-time piece for a price (IMO) well below market value....but in saying that, it was frustrating at times, and for a long time, I didn’t expect the piece to actually be completed.

Jae is a really nice guy, and he was consistent with his responses, and he was open and transparent about missing deadlines and how long the piece was taking him....that helps too. This actually isn’t even the longest I’ve waited for a piece, not even the second longest. Now, I’m not justifying this kind of business practice, because it is terrible, and happens to us waaaaay more often than it should, but in this instance, I’m just really happy with the finished product, and Jae and I have a pretty good relationship. He does offer refunds to those unwilling to wait, so anyone commissioning him should expect to wait a while for their piece, and if they don’t want to, Jaes been open about refunds, and if you don’t want your money hanging out in the abyss, he’ll refund....again, it’s far from A good business practice.

Given the insanity of the art market these days, it seems like those monster pieces only come if you’re really lucky, patient, or rich....and in this case, this is an all time piece for me, and it was patience that helped get it done....and maybe I was lucky too, because I know there are a lot of these 22x17 pieces that a lot of collectors are waiting on...it’s really tough to comment on this objectively because I have my piece in hand and I love it...the many people still on the list that have waited as long as me will feel MUCH differently
Old 05-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #17
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

That's a fair response and I am very glad to hear it. Again, congrats!

I don't follow Jae very closely at all but what pieces I do see are done in ink IIRC. Curious why you went pencil vs inks?

CAF
Old 05-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #18
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
That's a fair response and I am very glad to hear it. Again, congrats!

I don't follow Jae very closely at all but what pieces I do see are done in ink IIRC. Curious why you went pencil vs inks?
Back when i first commissioned the piece, Jae and I were going back and forth, and I mentioned to him that his pencilled Wolverine covers were some of my favorite modern covers, and he said the, if i preferred, he'd do the piece in pencils...I jumped at the opportunity because I'd missed out on all those pencil wolvie covers...and his pencils were kind of what got me on him in the first place.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
whd
Suicide Squad

That looks well worth the wait! Would make a great cover too! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
JadeGiant
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
Back when i first commissioned the piece, Jae and I were going back and forth, and I mentioned to him that his pencilled Wolverine covers were some of my favorite modern covers, and he said the, if i preferred, he'd do the piece in pencils...I jumped at the opportunity because I'd missed out on all those pencil wolvie covers...and his pencils were kind of what got me on him in the first place.
That's awesome, glad you got what you wanted and are happy with the piece.

CAF