Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > ARH Studios

Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Frazetta did some pin-up type pictures. That might be a bigger draw.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Frazetta did some pin-up type pictures. That might be a bigger draw.
True. Its a balancing act though. With the Frazetta stuff we have to pay licensing fees... I'll look into it
ReTardist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
grphyx1
Kingpin

you are a very talented sculptor. I love the proportions are realistic, and the breasts hang properly. not pointing up like those implant bazungas
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Bob Morton
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

My take on this: very niche market with low potential to make profit. Must be a passion project.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
pdenham
Teen Titans

I'm a huge fan of Elvgren, Petty, Bolles, Runci...all those guys.

The problem with a project like this is - everyone has their own ideas of what they find attractive. It's very difficult to be all things to everyone with this kind of stuff.

Also, the only thing that is going to really distinguish pin-up art (once you get past basic competency in rendering the female form) is theme and costume/props. And then again, here is another area that is likely going to be hit and miss for potential buyers. You might come up with a really cute cowgirl themed figure, but there are going to be a ton of people for whom a 'western' theme doesn't fit with their interest or room decor. But those same people might go ga-ga over some kind of dark industrial themed piece. And vice versa.

I realize part of the appeal to something like this is the license-free aspect of it and the ability to be fully creative rather than slavishly faithful- but this is a case where I think, given the high production costs, you may make more of a splash if you actually look into licensing some specific Elvgren paintings and re-creating those. He already has a built in fan base.
Or maybe even better, look into a Betty Page or Marilyn Monroe license and that way you could be free to do your own classy cheesecake designs, while still having a 'hook' to be able to market to bases that already exist.

I'm a huge Marilyn fan too. And while I love the face (and hair) sculpt on the Blitzway, I'm just not keen on the pose or costuming. I'm likely going to pass on that and hope for a more iconic or interesting pose- but that may come at the expense of a less attractive head/hair sculpt.
See- that's the kind of mentality I expect you'll run into with a project like this.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Wow. A lot to think about. Its interesting to get everyone's take on this. I wonder if we could find 75-100 buyers. I'll see about finishing this one and you guys can tell me what you think. Thanks for all the feedback.
And also - that Blitzway Marilyn head is amaaazing.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
grphyx1
Kingpin

So you're in the ski resort area of Joisey?
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #18
ReTardist
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
So you're in the ski resort area of Joisey?
Well .. I was. I lived there for 12 years. The McFarlane art studio is in Bloomingdale NJ. But I just went through a divorce and relocated to Idaho to work with ARH. I really needed a change of scenery and I saw an opportunity to help a small company grow. Hopefully it works out.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #19
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReTardist View Post
I saw an opportunity to help a small company grow. Hopefully it works out.
The Frazetta stuff is going to put you guys on the map in a big way- especially if you nail all the associated details beyond the actual statue (like customer service, sturdy packaging, etc).

Being there at the start (relatively) is a great thing. And when you're doing stuff you love, the years just fly by so fast.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I think Erick asked about interest in Pin Up stuff some time ago. I would still be interested in Pin Up statues.

I saved ReTardist's site/blog and need to go through it this weekend. I saw some notable artwork to statues there.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote