Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-22-2005, 03:25 AM   #1
isculpt
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Beginner questions

Here are some questions for a beginning sculpter.

What affordable materials do i need to make a good solid armature?

How do you make eyes?

Whats the best time to bake Super Sculpey?

Please show me pics of the tools you guys use.

and thats it for now thanks.
isculpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Bengalslair
U talkin' to me?

Isculpt, welcome...and boy have you hit the jack pot for sculpting info! Now, you are likely to get a slew of different opinions...that's good! The great thing about this process is the many different approaches you can take.

Armature Wire-Let's see...there is aluminum that you can purchase at art/hobby supply stores. You can also get aluminum grounding wire at your local hardware. solid copper wire works good. I seen people use clothes line wire. If worse comes to worse...get in the closet and drag out coat hangers (there a little more difficult to bend, but it's a cheap alternative). Remember to strip the plastic off the wire especially if you plan to use super sculpey. Another thing you may want to pick up is a thin gauge wire to wrap your amature with...this provides "grip" for the clat to adhere too. One other note, if you chose to use wax then armature wire may not be required.

Eyes-Again everybody is different some guys/girls use ball barrings (metal or plastic), some purchase eyes from doll supply store. Taxidermist another good resource. However, a lot of individual usually sculpt the eyes because its an opportunity to sculpt soul into a character.

Bake time-This is debateable...most of the information I have seen is DO NOT follow the instructions on the box or you will end up burning your piece (boy does it stink). Most of the time you want to reduce heart and increase bake time, which I will have to get back with you about.

Tools-Well you have your hands (hopefully) that's a good start. Eyes...check. Everyone will, once again, have a different opinion. You will find that many folks will inevitably make their own. A good website is Dan Perez. Also, Check out The Complete Sculptor and micro-mark because they have assortments of tool to choose from. Never the less, try all sorts of things. Try things that you wouldn't even think of.

hope this helps, and if you have any more questions fire away

-Rick
Bengalslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
isculpt

Thank you for the answers, and now i have come up with more batch of questions.

Where would i get these ball bearings for the eyes?

How would is starts sculpt? ((Example, like do you draw what you want then begin etc.))

How thick should the wire be? I ahve some but i dont know if its thick enough

How do you mke a proportionate Armature?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #4
the nooch
Frackin!

You can get ball bearings at the hardware stre sometimes. I have also used glass beads that you can get in all different sizes at a sewing or bead store.

You can start a sculpture with a drawing. i do many sketches to get an idea of the piece and then do a more finished sketch. I also have a lot of different reference for the piece, ie. closthing, likenesses, stills from movies. whatever helps.

The wire should be thick enough to stand on it's own and support the weight of your clay. You don't want to go bigger than a coat hanger wire but the wire you get at the hardware store is the best, I find. I also add tin foil around the armature which gives it some more area for the clay to adhere to and you use less clay. Sculpey don't grow on trees, ya know!

For proportions you can do an outline drawing of the piece in the size you want and then lay the wire on it as if it were a skeleton. It is best to think of the wire as a skeleton and use whatever proportions are appropriate, for a human or a dinosaur or horse or whatever. For fantasy sculptures you can use your own discretion but it is good to base the armature proportions on something simmilar. If you are sculpting a gryphan, lets say. you can use and outline of a lion combined with an eagle and lay the wire out inside the outline to make a skeleton based loosely on the skeletons of those animals. The legs and the spine are all you really need to get a good proportion. You don't have to fo nuts with ribs and fingers and such.

Hope that helps.
the nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
isculpt

One question or two actually

How do you stick the foil onto the wire?

Where would i find ball bearings and aluminum wire?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
Bengalslair
U talkin' to me?

The foil is just crumpled around the wire because after you start to add clay the foil does not move. The foil is used to add bulk, and aides in the baking process.

Do you have art supply stores in your area: eg. **** Blick, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby? If not Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, True Value etc. would have this stuff. Sometimes these items can be found at Wal*Mart.

Ball Bearings can be found at brake supply store, or BB's for air pistol (Don't shoot your eye out)
Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
Lay-Z-boy
Sinister Six

You use floral wire to lock the crumpled aluminum foil in place.( on the armature )

Where to get :
Floral wire and plastic ball bearings at any crafts store or Wall-Mart.
Ground Aluminum wire from Radio Shack.

-U
Lay-Z-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
isculpt

another batch, this time its about busts

Are armatures need to make busts like statues?

Say you want to make a superhero with a cape, where would the cape end?

Thanks everyone
Old 06-26-2005, 01:49 AM   #9
isculpt

I just bought an 11 piece clay sculpting tool set by loew cornell, i boght this from Micheals

If u ahve seen this or have it plzx tell me wat each one does thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #10
Bengalslair
U talkin' to me?

Isculpt,
Not familiar with the name, but that does not mean that I have not seen the set before.

There is really no mystery to application of tools because they are merely an extension of your hands. It all boils down to adding and subtracting clay. Also, you will probably find that you use one more than another. So, experiment and post some photos of your work.