Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #2031
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I more or less feel the same with regards to edition sizes.

But I’m guessing for many others it’s more for resale value than anything else.

I’ve yet to sell anything before and I’m currently at 66 statues in various large scales (1/6 to 1/2). However I’ve reached a tipping point whereby each addition statue will now force me to box up one or two statues for storage. I would sell them if I could, but I doubt I’ll get a reasonable price for them so I can’t be bothered at the moment.
Just sell, even if means not getting what you paid. Unless you have a hard to get in demand statue, a loss is inevitable. I've sold only 3 statues and all at loss and it feels good to free up space
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #2032
Ginormousthumbs
Blue Falcon

Hopefully I can get in on the EX. I’ve been saving my points specifically for this piece. I’ve only been collecting for a short time(3 years) but I’m almost out of room. This and XM Star Lord and Stewart GL will just about take me to my limit.
Ginormousthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #2033
myskye23
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Reasonable prices don't exist anymore. Everything that's coming out has been insanely priced. It's not only SS either. The hobby as a whole has gotten out of control.
It's unfortunate General and you're absolutely right. I started off with a Prime 1 1/3 Scale Prestige Batman that my wife bought me and I've been collecting since. At the time, I thought that statue was extremely expensive! My buddy and I always talked about Our End Game but somehow that timeline gets pushed back a lot because of all the great statues being introduced .. Lol. The only thing I've stucked to is my price points and how much I'm willing to spend on a single statue. To date, Prime 1 Doomsday is my most expensive and I can't foresee me spending nearly THAT much anymore on another statue so when this Juggs came in at $1,390, it was an easy pass for me since I could get other statues under that price point with more switch outs with more options for displaying.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #2034
Sjb
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Just sell, even if means not getting what you paid. Unless you have a hard to get in demand statue, a loss is inevitable. I've sold only 3 statues and all at loss and it feels good to free up space
Agree. I've been collecting for 20+ years, and at some point everyone meets their space/spending limit. For where I am at, I am no longer adding, but replacing. No new money is spent on this hobby. If there is something new that I want, I will prune my current collection to both make room and raise the cash.
Sjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #2035
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I have so much in storage that when I do have room to display I might have to sell a few pieces. I dread using ebay though.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #2036
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Yup. I don't buy statues thinking of selling them. I been in this game for over 20 years and in the glory days of flipping I did buy allot of the time with the intention of flipping it to buy other statues. But those days are over. So now I buy knowing I'm going to keep the statue. The problem is allot of people are doing impulse buys and when they realize that they bought the statue without really loving it when they try and sell they lose money and then get upset at SS. These days you have to really think and love a piece before pulling the trigger.
That may be part of it..
In most collectors cases, especially mine, it’s not having a set ES on PO day. It’s a shady tactic. If I knew some pieces would have a ridiculous ES- I would still buy it but maybe down the line instead of on PO. I’d rather spend my play money somewhere else(different statue, original art, etc).
Impulse buys may be a reason some get upset at SS, especially when they can’t come close to recouping their cash. That’s all true.
In my case and I’m sure many others, I’m just sick of non upfront ES and crazy prices- only to find a month or so down the line- SS offers discounts and or free shipping because they can’t unload the pieces they mass produced and overpriced.
Not to mention the secondary market is where it’s at unless it’s a low ES piece. There are rare occurrences where a higher ES piece may hold its value or more- but that’s rare.
On top of this it’s the same old mediocre QC- cheap packaging, and guessing what certain parts of your “high end” statue.
It’s not the entire hobby that’s doing this, it’s the biggest company in the game that’s doing it. Taking chances with crazy prices and the same production practices because they can afford to lose the $. And that’s being naive and thinking these statues come close to the costs they charge.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #2037
Atheris
The Maxx

Quote:
I have so much in storage that when I do have room to display I might have to sell a few pieces. I dread using ebay though.
Ebay is a scammers paradise these days. Buyers will take delivery of a package, 24 hours later put in a claim that it arrived broken with some fake googled pics and get their money back 99.9% of the time and get that free statue. Happened to me more than once, I don't go near ebay anymore.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #2038
Amazing Peter
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormousthumbs View Post
Hopefully I can get in on the EX. I’ve been saving my points specifically for this piece. I’ve only been collecting for a short time(3 years) but I’m almost out of room. This and XM Star Lord and Stewart GL will just about take me to my limit.
Haha I feel your pain I’m new as well and I’m about out of space.i have room for this juggy and 3 spots for 1/3 statues,not quite sure what I’m going to do
Amazing Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #2039
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
Ebay is a scammers paradise these days. Buyers will take delivery of a package, 24 hours later put in a claim that it arrived broken with some fake googled pics and get their money back 99.9% of the time and get that free statue. Happened to me more than once, I don't go near ebay anymore.

Chris
Yup. Really sucks. I've only had it happen to me once but that's because all my stuff is in storage so I don't sell too often. The guy broke the bust unpacking it and then filed a claim saying I didn't pack the package good. That's a lie. What happened is he dropped the thing when he was taking it out and broke it. I said my side of the story and ebay told me to tell my story walking and gave the @sshole his money back. He sent me back the broken bust though. But what I'm I going to do with a broken bust. The cost of repairing it wouldn't be worth it. Took a $120 loss. To top it off he gave me my first negative. I'm back to 100% though because a year passed without me getting another negative. The sellers have zero power. Pisses me off.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #2040
MegatronG1
The X-Men

When a buyer tries to pull that crap, force him to pay return shipping on his own dime. He'll find it not to be worth the effort to return a "broken" statue. Ebay doesn't really have any rules regarding how a seller should conduct the dispute, except that the buyer ends up getting his way. I've had to cut out partial refunds when there was no other option than getting a negative. Don't leave them any feedback, or leave a warning to other sellers if you do.

Another way of filtering out bad buyers is to block those with <10-20 feedback, their feedback left for others, their location, and their writing style, especially if they send messages asking for a lower price.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote