Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
John Carter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

Speed Racer (2008)
Excellent choices.

Quote:
No, not joking. But to be clear, I'm not judging it as an adaptation because I haven't read the ERB novels. I'm judging it on its own merits. I enjoyed the story, I thought the CGI was excellent for the time the film was made, and I found Dejah Thoris scorchingly hot.

Not a bad way to spend a few hours.
Couldn't agree more.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #22
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
No, not joking. But to be clear, I'm not judging it as an adaptation because I haven't read the ERB novels. I'm judging it on its own merits. I enjoyed the story, I thought the CGI was excellent for the time the film was made, and I found Dejah Thoris scorchingly hot.

Not a bad way to spend a few hours.
Fair enough. But that is why it flopped so badly. Had they made the movie as its own thing, it would probably have done better. Adapting the story from ERB was bound to bring more scrutiny than if they had written their own version of that kind of storyline. And BOY did the scrutiny come in droves! If I recall correctly, the loss they took on John Carter negated an entire year's worth of profits comanywide.

I totally agree on Dejah Thoris. Lynn Collins is super hot. Just FYI, if they had been more faithful to the books, you would have liked her even more. In the movie she wears waaaaaay more clothing than ERB described.

Glad you enjoyed it though. I just couldn't cuz of my inner ERB nerd.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKni9hT View Post
Fair enough. But that is why it flopped so badly. Had they made the movie as its own thing, it would probably have done better. Adapting the story from ERB was bound to bring more scrutiny than if they had written their own version of that kind of storyline. And BOY did the scrutiny come in droves! If I recall correctly, the loss they took on John Carter negated an entire year's worth of profits comanywide.
I think it flopped so badly because of a horrible marketing campaign. If you're going to give a movie the generic title "John Carter", your trailers and promotional materials better be very clear about the basic story line, and they weren't. The general public didn't know what the heck it was.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote