Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #25991
built2shred
Phoenix

Gemini Man - 6/10

The movie had issues with its use of CGI and the story was kind of boring...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #25992
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
When I was a kid I remember when movies were "Banned in X number of countries" which of course made us want to watch them all the more. The ones I remember using that sales pitch were the original "I spit on your grave" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and of course, "Faces of Death"
The first "banned" movie I ever saw was Fat Girl (2001). ("Banned in Canada!" the blurb said.) It was the first time I saw an erection on screen outside of an XXX film.

Edit: Seeing the original French title now, how the English release was renamed is funny.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #25993
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Holiday Inn 7/10
I’m a sucker for the old musicals. Surprised it hasn’t been banned.
I found this on Wikipedia:

"Beginning in the 1980s, some broadcasts of the film have entirely omitted the "Abraham" musical number, staged at the Inn for Lincoln's Birthday, because of its depiction of a blackface minstrel show incorporating images and behaviors that are racist in nature. However, because Turner Classic Movies airs films uncut and unedited, the network has left the "Abraham" number intact during their screenings of Holiday Inn. AMC also aired the film intact before they became an advertiser-supported channel. To avoid advertiser objections, the edited version now airs annually on AMC."
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #25994
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
There is a musical number regarding Abraham Lincoln done in black face. This tune is in praise of Lincoln for freeing slaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I found this on Wikipedia:

"Beginning in the 1980s, some broadcasts of the film have entirely omitted the "Abraham" musical number, staged at the Inn for Lincoln's Birthday, because of its depiction of a blackface minstrel show incorporating images and behaviors that are racist in nature. However, because Turner Classic Movies airs films uncut and unedited, the network has left the "Abraham" number intact during their screenings of Holiday Inn. AMC also aired the film intact before they became an advertiser-supported channel. To avoid advertiser objections, the edited version now airs annually on AMC."
Well hot damn, I can see why that would be an issue. I do appreciated TCM not editing movies, but I can also understand the sensitivity and consideration for removing that number.

I haven't watched an old school musical in a long time. I've obviously seen A Star is Born and La La Land. Too long had passed in fact....got me craving to watch West Side Story.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #25995
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post

The Lighthouse (2019) - Two lighthouse keepers try to maintain their sanity while living on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

I saw this without much knowledge about it beforehand except that I heard it got a lot of buzz and it was a bit weird so I had no idea what kind of surprise I was in for. I knew after the first 15 minutes that I'd love it purely based on how it looks, but the story is simultaneously creepy and funny and then it gets completely mental towards the end. I predict many more viewings when it's released on disc early next year. 10/10
i've been very interested in this movie since it was brought up here, and I just found out its directed by Robert Eggers who directed one of my top 5 favorite horror movies of all time, The Witch, so now I can barely contain my excitement! Got my blu-ray copy pre-ordered, Jan 14th needs to come quicker...
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #25996
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I would like to point out that Pattinson, our future Batman, is in this film which has rave reviews. He will make a fine Bruce Wayne.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #25997
ukshaun
Hercules

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019)
9/10

Probably not the best story in the world. Tarantino offers what appears to be a slice of history, presumably reasonably accurate, based on what facts are available, about an actor named Rick Dalton and his stunt double Cliff Booth. That’s about it really. I loved every moment of it. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are great. As to be expected with a Tarantino movie, it’s packed with classic music.

The scene with Cliff and Bruce (Lee) was nothing short of entertaining. I liked how the movie doesn’t bore the viewer with Cliff Booth stunt abilities.

Margot Robbie also stars, although she speaks very little, which is probably an accurate representation of her character, who is based on Sharon Tate. Other than serving as a distraction, time out from the lives of Rick and Cliff, I couldn’t quite work out why the Sharon Tate character was in the movie, other than the fact she was living next door to Rick Dalton at the time. You can research what happened to Sharon Tate in real life, but the movie time line never reaches that moment in time. It stops short.

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood is the first Tarantino movie I’ve enjoyed since Death Proof. I was never a fan of The Hateful Eight, Django Unchained, or Inglourious Basterds
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #25998
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I think it was an alternative reality, the ending definitely threw me off guard lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #25999
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is probably best described as an alternate reality with some basis in historical fact. Basically Dalton is loosely based on Burt Reynolds and Cliff on Hal Needham. The real Hal Needham was incredibly interesting. Burt Reynolds was supposed to play the old blind guy but he passed away so he brought in Dern instead.

Previously Tarantino did an alternate reality thing with the death of Hitler in "Inglorious Basterds"
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #26000
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Hachi: A Dog’s Tale (2009) - 7/10

Good movie, and a tear jerker.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote