Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #1021
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Wishful thinking but if this could be true it'd be awesome for us all. They never said they weren't doing a Phoenix at all. They just said no variants.
It's a slippery slope if they try to get literal like that. It would rub people the wrong way.

Not to mention that given the freeze on mutant characters because of the whole FOX thing, I believe what Igo said is very much the case. That and may be the XM regular Phoenix being just released even if it's not meant to be sold on the USA. I think it played a part as well.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #1022
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasalone View Post
I'm sorry, but you guys really crack me up with the cognitive dissonance. All the time pior to Phoenix moaning over variants and now that phoneix doesn't have them, it is an outrage. Guys, never change haha.
I think people moan and complain about being blindsided by variants more than variants existing. The nature of this hobby and these comics outfits almost guarantees that when warranted there will be a variant.

You give people a heads up on the 3 Hulk PFs and it goes over better than a Modern Batman, Classic Catwoman or Green Ivy later on. There is a world of difference.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #1023
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
I think people moan and complain about being blindsided by variants more than variants existing. The nature of this hobby and these comics outfits almost guarantees that when warranted there will be a variant.

You give people a heads up on the 3 Hulk PFs and it goes over better than a Modern Batman, Classic Catwoman or Green Ivy later on. There is a world of difference.

I agree. At the very least, it allows for people to choose which one they might want to buy the most.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #1024
adee
Green Arrow

yep I personally don't like variants in general but I really dislike them because of what SolidLiquidFox describes. If this or any other piece had a variant(s) released at the same time I wouldn't mind at all.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM   #1025
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Back in the day the variants were sometimes the exclusives. Remember Elektra PF white outfit? Grey Hulk PF? Most recently the Conan dio with black ape.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #1026
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
In Sideshow's defense, I'm sure their decision is based upon how the original statue sells in the initial run.

Whose to say if SS ever discusses a potential variant at the beginning of the original production (more than likely the answer is yes), but if sales are good, then it only makes sense to return to the well and try again with a variant.

Milk the cow for all she's worth I say.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #1027
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasalone View Post
I'm sorry, but you guys really crack me up with the cognitive dissonance. All the time pior to Phoenix moaning over variants and now that phoneix doesn't have them, it is an outrage. Guys, never change haha.
Is there really an outrage over this Phoenix not having variants though? Some people want variants, some don't, and it's being discussed. Where's the problem?

Quote:
It's a slippery slope if they try to get literal like that. It would rub people the wrong way.

Not to mention that given the freeze on mutant characters because of the whole FOX thing, I believe what Igo said is very much the case. That and may be the XM regular Phoenix being just released even if it's not meant to be sold on the USA. I think it played a part as well.
It's been repeatedly said by SSAlex over and over that sideshow hasn't had a freeze on X-Men. Right down to the fact she recently said more X-Men are coming and gave a small hint at who. I believe what she said is the case, otherwise she'd be lying. Anything beyond what SSAlex or Igo says is speculation, theory and possible scenarios...

Somebody's always gonna find a way to be rubbed the wrong way but...

What they did with Catwoman, who got rubbed the wrong way there? Because it was done before it's not impossible for that type of thing to be done again, but why is that a slippery slope?

Maybe XM Phoenix had something to do with it. There's been quite a bit of character overlap between sideshow and XM so I doubt it had anything to do with it, but I don't know.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #1028
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

As a consumer, all things being equal, wouldn't you like the option to choose up front on which Catwoman version to buy?

My comment on the slippery slope was in regards to the "no Dark Phoenix" variant comment by Igo and the previous poster saying that nobody said anything about no Phoenix variants. A hypothetical loophole to hitting us with a green Phoenix (or any color) down the road. Very unlikely but that's what Peedi was saying. No harm no foul and just speculating out loud.

Anyways...going from what Igo said, why would a regular plain green Phoenix variant (or any color) not be approved by Marvel? They approve stuff like arctic white Black Widow....why not a regular green Phoenix or any Dark Phoenix variant??? A solid female sculpt that's ripe for the variant treatment of a heavily requested character where variants actually make sense. Sort of like how the XM Phoenix thread specifically says on it's title "Not Dark Phoenix".

There are restrictions somewhere.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #1029
adee
Green Arrow

I much prefer a new sculpt of a character as opposed to a variant of the same statue. It just makes a much cooler display imo.

I just dislike how they release a piece then months or even years later come out with a new version of the same statue.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #1030
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
As a consumer, all things being equal, wouldn't you like the option to choose up front on which Catwoman version to buy?

My comment on the slippery slope was in regards to the "no Dark Phoenix" variant comment by Igo and the previous poster saying that nobody said anything about no Phoenix variants. A hypothetical loophole to hitting us with a green Phoenix (or any color) down the road. Very unlikely but that's what Peedi was saying. No harm no foul and just speculating out loud.

Anyways...going from what Igo said, why would a regular plain green Phoenix variant (or any color) not be approved by Marvel? They approve stuff like arctic white Black Widow....why not a regular green Phoenix or any Dark Phoenix variant??? A solid female sculpt that's ripe for the variant treatment of a heavily requested character where variants actually make sense. Sort of like how the XM Phoenix thread specifically says on it's title "Not Dark Phoenix".

There are restrictions somewhere.
I see what you're saying.

As for why the variant wasn't approved, that's a good question. Like you said there's obviously some restriction somewhere, but at the same time SSAlex keeps saying there's no restriction that prevents them from making more X-Men. Whatever stopped them from doing a variant of this I think it has more to do with this particular situation than it does being an overall "X-Men" thing. But...I don't know, I just trust Alex when she says there's no restrictions on sideshow making X-Men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I much prefer a new sculpt of a character as opposed to a variant of the same statue. It just makes a much cooler display imo.
In general I do, too. But I think for anybody, what you prefer is based on your situation. Because I have and LOVE XM Phoenix despite its criticism (including my own criticism, it certainly ain't perfect) I was hoping sideshow did Dark Phoenix so I got my wish...I probably wouldn't buy this if it were standard Phoenix...but if I didn't have or didn't like the XM I might've been one of those hoping for a Green variant to fill that void. I don't need or want another green at this point. But I would've jumped all over a White variant.

But on the other hand, Batman though. I have the original Batman PF and I thought I wanted a blue variant until they made a blue variant and I realized while I wanted a classic Batman in blue I didn't want essentially the same statue over again. If I didn't have or like the original my story would be different.

I think variants can make sense for costumes that are one offs or little used in the comics, like White Storm (which I have, which completely goes against what I said for Batman) and Black Widow. For the tiny appearances those costumes had they didn't need to be new sculpts and it made sense they'd be limited as their appeal won't be as high as their standard color that everybody knows.

Where I personally think variants shouldn't be done is things like Spider-Man/Symbiote/Black Costume Spider-Man. To me they're so different and deserve a different sculpt. But I know there are people who have the Spidey Com or old PF so they prefer the current Symbiote variant.

So to sum that wall of text up, lol, despite our personal opinions it's obvious sideshow will never and can't fully cater to one person's ideals...variant, no variant, mirror image, whatever the case may be, somebody's always going to not like whatever decision is being made.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote