Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Erick Sosa

Old 08-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #11
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenzombie View Post
Fair enough. lol

So a commissioned digital sculpt, plus the printing costs basically can be the same as a 1/6 traditional sculpt/prototype?

I'm just asking because I've read on other online places that digital not only is faster but "cheaper" than hire a traditional sculptor. So I'm just trying to understand the whole thing.
Printing in itself is cheaper than hiring a traditional sculptor indeed, but what they do not tell you is you still have to hire a cg artist do model your character... that can range, depending on the sculptor etc.... but yeah I would say $1200-$1700 for printing, depending on accessories, extra portraits or if you want your portraits in HD resolution ( better, much more detailed prints like what I use for Industry clientele ). Plus most 3-D printing places charge an extra fee for engineering ( dissecting your character with keys etc), and most do not clean the print for you, which requires a lot of sanding depending on the resolution. The higher the resolution, the less build lines on the sculpt's surface the less sanding is involved.

www.ownage.com is a great place to go, they print, clean, and engineer for a decent price, but they keep quite busy. There's also www.moddler.com and http://www.jasonwiresproductions.com/ Jason has a top of the line printer with Hd capabilities just like Ownage does, and his prices are very competitive.
So yeah, there are a few hoops to be jumped, but from my experience there are a lot of great Cg artists and they keep getting better...check out the works of Brandon Lawless..just wow!
plus the 3-D printing technology is getting to the point where it is matching the level of detail found in the original models....so yeah the next 3 years will be very interesting.

Anyway, a traditional sculpt in 1/6th may end up being cheaper after all is said and done... but it may take longer....(so there are drawbacks either way).

That being said...let's say I was commissioning an original character I had made up like my "Space Host" character, and say I wanted it done in CG, I would probably look for customers to help me pitch in for the printing, molding and casting costs, dividing said costs by the number of customers so it becomes less of a burden...otherwise it defeats the purpose...a bit expensive...unless you are rolling with cash lol.
Hope this helps

Last edited by ZKULPTOR; 08-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.
ZKULPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 AM   #12
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPang View Post
Man, is there any medium that you don't just dominate at? Clay, wax and digital- a triple threat.
I am far from dominating CG sculpting... and traditional sculpting for that matter, but thanks man, you give a guy hope, and this is no false modesty on my part I truly mean it, thanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Candela
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Batman

The paint job is Fantastic man
I will love to see at a kit
Candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #14
ZKULPTOR
MASTERING 3D!!!!!!
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candela View Post
The paint job is Fantastic man
I will love to see at a kit
Thank you, my friend! btw please read the forum rules
Old 08-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #15
docmario
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

love the face expression there
docmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #16
sjensen
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I like it, kinda has a little bit of a frank miller feel to it. I agree about not using symmetry, it really help make the face come alive.
sjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #17
demonhunter
Kingpin

Very nice.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
SilvaBrothers
Frackin!

Awesome face Erick!!
SilvaBrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
BarbarianFan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Wow, really bad ass !!
Great work Erick.
BarbarianFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Very cool Erick, I love the aggressive look to your Batman. You can really see your style translate over to the digital realm very well. Fantastic work!

https://www.facebook.com/johnclearyartworks

My ARTSTATION online portfolio - https://johnclearyartworks.artstation.com
My FACEBOOK - https://www.facebook.com/johnclearyartworks
My INSTAGRAM - https://www.instagram.com/johnclearyartworks/
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote