Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Thumbs up Is The Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile Black or Grey?

Hi, folks.I just want to ask, is the hot toys 1989 batmobile black, or grey in colour?[I've asked this question before, but from the pictures I've seen on various forums, it's clear that some appear to be grey, and others appear to be black.]I have a feeling that hot toys might have done this on purpose, to accommodate people wanting a 1989 set up[grey batmobile], while others will have a 1992 set up[black batmobile] when hot toys eventually release the batman returns figures.In closing, if anyone reading this has the hot toys 1989 batmobile and would be kind enough to post pics of it to compare to others, that would be great.Cheers!
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
msisaac
A day without sunshine is like... night.

It's black. The 1989 Batmobile in the movie was mostly black (with some dark purple mixed in, if I remember correctly). The 1992 Batmobile didn't have the purple and was completely black, although it was a glossy black instead of the matte black from the 1989 version, I think. I have the Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile and I can tell you that it's definitely and darkly black. And awesome. Completely awesome.
msisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Thumbs up The 1989 Batmobile Was Actually Grey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msisaac View Post
It's black. The 1989 Batmobile in the movie was mostly black (with some dark purple mixed in, if I remember correctly). The 1992 Batmobile didn't have the purple and was completely black, although it was a glossy black instead of the matte black from the 1989 version, I think. I have the Hot Toys 1989 Batmobile and I can tell you that it's definitely and darkly black. And awesome. Completely awesome.
Hey msisaac, the batmobile in the 1989 batman movie was actually grey in colour, [although it was hard to tell, because you would only see the batmobile at night, causing it to look black in colour], where as the batmobile in the 1992 batman movie was a glossy black colour[which I think the cinemaquette batmobile was based on, given it's glossy black look].As I mentioned before, I think hot toys may have made black and grey batmobiles on purpose, to accommodate those wanting both a 1989 and 1992 set up.Not only that, the hot toys batmobile comes with features from both the 1989 and 1992 versions, which are=
1989=machine guns and grappling hook
1992=clown trippers[those long blades attached to each side of the batmobile], hydraulic 360 degree platform, and bat discs].Cheers!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
msisaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Hey msisaac, the batmobile in the 1989 batman movie was actually grey in colour, [although it was hard to tell, because you would only see the batmobile at night, causing it to look black in colour], where as the batmobile in the 1992 batman movie was a glossy black colour[which I think the cinemaquette batmobile was based on, given it's glossy black look].As I mentioned before, I think hot toys may have made black and grey batmobiles on purpose, to accommodate those wanting both a 1989 and 1992 set up.Not only that, the hot toys batmobile comes with features from both the 1989 and 1992 versions, which are=
1989=machine guns and grappling hook
1992=clown trippers[those long blades attached to each side of the batmobile], hydraulic 360 degree platform, and bat discs].Cheers!
The 1989 was matte black with other colors layered in. In an interview with Anton Furst, here's what he said:

"The Batmobile was built in kevlar," Furst noted, "which is a polycarbonate that is extremely light and yet very strong. It is the same material used to make racing cars. We then had a custom paint job done on it. There were about six different layers of colors to give the car the finish of a beetle--a lot of colors coming through the blackness so that it had a three-dimensional quality to it rather than just being a flat black. We did not go to a full gloss on it--we left it with a slight matte finish to make it look more like a war machine."

Victorious-Jay over at the RPF said this: "The real 89 number 1 car was painted a matte black with the metalic pearl added in different areas. Green somewhere, blue somewhere, etc. "

The car may have looked grey in certain lighting because of the layered effects, but it was mostly matte black.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by msisaac View Post
The 1989 was matte black with other colors layered in. In an interview with Anton Furst, here's what he said:

"The Batmobile was built in kevlar," Furst noted, "which is a polycarbonate that is extremely light and yet very strong. It is the same material used to make racing cars. We then had a custom paint job done on it. There were about six different layers of colors to give the car the finish of a beetle--a lot of colors coming through the blackness so that it had a three-dimensional quality to it rather than just being a flat black. We did not go to a full gloss on it--we left it with a slight matte finish to make it look more like a war machine."

Victorious-Jay over at the RPF said this: "The real 89 number 1 car was painted a matte black with the metalic pearl added in different areas. Green somewhere, blue somewhere, etc. "

The car may have looked grey in certain lighting because of the layered effects, but it was mostly matte black.
Hey msisaac, thanks for the info!Every time I watched the 1989 batman movie, the batmobile always appeared to be grey[the first time you see it when batman says to Vicki vale,''Get in the car...'' and when you see it, it looks grey to me, but from what you've said, would it have just been the lighting in that particular shot that only made it look grey?Cheers!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Hey msisaac, I just wanted to ask, if the batmobile in the 1989 batman movie was black, why do you think hot toys showed it off as being grey?[If you check out some of the pictures they first showed of it, it clearly had a grey matte finish to it, maybe they thought it was grey too, until someone informed them it was actually black like you told me, i'm not sure].Cheers!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

seems like none of you have watched the Batmobile documentary on the DKR extras disc...
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
msisaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
seems like none of you have watched the Batmobile documentary on the DKR extras disc...
Care to elaborate? You're right, I haven't seen the documentary, so I'm interested to know what it stated about the 89 Batmobile.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
mrslick32
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Hey msisaac, I just wanted to ask, if the batmobile in the 1989 batman movie was black, why do you think hot toys showed it off as being grey?[If you check out some of the pictures they first showed of it, it clearly had a grey matte finish to it, maybe they thought it was grey too, until someone informed them it was actually black like you told me, i'm not sure].Cheers!
The 89 Batmobile from Hot Toys is matte black. I just got mine today. I've posted some pics on the 89 Batmobile thread and you'll see from my pics that the color is black.

Some pictures might show it as grey because that's how cameras normally work. Without going into too much technical detail, most cameras will turn black colors into grey if you don't adjust the settings of the camera.

I hope this helps.
mrslick32 is offline   Reply With Quote