Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
gilesw
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Fallen out of love with HT 1/6 Dark Knight

After looking at HT 1/6 Ironman and HT 1/6 Dark Knight figures, I'm falling out of love with the Dark Knight ones. Bascially, any that have some kind of fabric.

I guess the problem with them is that you can't replicate fabric in 1/6 scale fabric to have the same "fall" as fabric in life size.

I look at the Joker and his clothes seem oversized because they don't sit on him correctly. Even Batman himself, his cape doesn't really fall around him.

I have some of the 1/4 scale ones, although they are unopened, I'm wondering if they suffer from the same problem or are slightly better.

Ironman has no such issues because of course armor seems to replicate more accurately.

Anyone else feel the same or have comments?
gilesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
SONICobra
Batman

i think that's an unspoken understanding for the most part. I was never really interested in characters with cloth outfits aside from two face, but that guy took some work to look right. had to resculp/paint his face, customize his jacket etc. etc. but that's a whole nother story.

the joker 2.0 is not bad though, I was a little let down when I first opened it but after some time and well placed pins his jacket looks great.

bottom line - you have to spend some time and put some work into cloth pieces if you want them to look good. right out of the box they look terrible imo (characters with cloth outfits)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
built2shred
Phoenix

I gave Hot Toys a shot and bought several of them, but for the most part there not really my thing... Although certain ones still tempt me like Raynor and Robocop
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
gilesw

I wonder if the 1/4 scale will have less of an issue.

I have to say that I love the DK vehicles. It might be the case that I just sell the figures and keep the vehicles.

All the armoured figures are astounding and for the most part they get better and better. The armoured Whiplash is freakishly good.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
dechirico7
The Flash

Don't most Hot Toys have a fabric element?
I just got into collecting HT figures and I think the fabric elements make a lot of them. Especially figures like Loki, Joker 2.0 and Catwoman. I think it is was sets Hot Toys figures a step or two above a typical action figure.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
gilesw

For some of them, the mixed media works really well. For others they just look like they're wearing clothes two sizes too large for them.

For example, the Captain America: First Avenger figures seem to be executed well.

Gordon from DK seems fine, but I find the Dent and Joker figures look like their clothes are too big or they sit up on the body.

But I guess that is what one of the earlier posters has mentioned, you just need to put in a lot of work to get them right if you're displaying them.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
A2G
The Herculoids

if you think hot toys are off....then what do you collect? i dont think anyone puts as much detail into their product as hot toys and a few enterbay figures
A2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
dechirico7
The Flash

I just bought the Joker DX11 v.2, Batman Dx12, Bane, Loki and Catwoman and don't feel any of the tailored elements feel too big. I think they all fit excellent.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesw View Post
For some of them, the mixed media works really well. For others they just look like they're wearing clothes two sizes too large for them.

For example, the Captain America: First Avenger figures seem to be executed well.

Gordon from DK seems fine, but I find the Dent and Joker figures look like their clothes are too big or they sit up on the body.

But I guess that is what one of the earlier posters has mentioned, you just need to put in a lot of work to get them right if you're displaying them.
The problem is that when you shrink clothes down to 1:6 scale, they can be really fragile if they're actually 1:6 as thick as the real thing. So when you have characters like Two-Face who wear suits with multiple layers, the suits can look too thick and puffed up. Hot Toys is better than most when it comes to finding a balance between durability and look, but you still have some figures that need a lot of futzing or modding to look right.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
gilesw

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2G View Post
if you think hot toys are off....then what do you collect? i dont think anyone puts as much detail into their product as hot toys and a few enterbay figures
I'm not saying that they aren't the best in their category.

I'm saying that some figures seem to fall short of greatness because of this issue and it may be that there is very little that HT can do about it because of the scale.

But it significant enough an issue for me that I'm thinking about parting with mine.