Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

GREEN LANTERN Premium Format Exclusive – Sideshow Collectibles - Statueforum Review

Sideshow Collectibles – Green Lantern Premium Format exclusive – Statueforum Review

“In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power, Green Lantern's light”

Sideshow Collectibles proudly presents the indomitable emerald crusader of the intergalactic police force, the Green Lantern premium format statue. This is Sideshow’s second interpretation of the renowned Guardian of Sector 2814, and it does not disappoint. Sculpted in a commanding museum-like pose, Sideshow offers a classic interpretation of DC’s power ring wielding leader of the Green Lantern Corps.

Green Lantern is generally defined by his era, i.e., the golden, silver, or modern age era. The Golden age era Green Lantern (i.e., Alan Scott) first appeared in All American Comics #16 published by All American Publications in July 1940. He was created by legendary comics artist and creator, Martin Nodell. His tremendous superhero exploits, both in his own title and in the pages of Justice Society comics, righteously graced newsstands for over a decade (1940-1951). Unfortunately, popularity in superhero comics began to decline in the early 50s, due largely to a media-driven controversy regarding the impact comics may have had on children’s delinquent behavior, at which point, reader interest shifted more towards western, science fiction and romance books. However, in the mid to late 50s, as earlier fears and prejudices regarding comics were deservedly debunked, new interest in superheroes comics resurfaced, due largely to the vivid and unprecedented imaginations of Jack Kirby, Julius Schwartz, Joe Kubert, and Carmine Infantino.

DC capitalized on the demand for thrilling new superhero adventures in comics and reintroduced Green Lantern to a new generation of readers by redesigning his costume and completely revamping his origin. In Showcase Comics #22 (July 1959), the writer and artist team of John Brome and Gil Kane introduced what would soon become known as the greatest of all sector guardians: The Hal Jordan Green Lantern.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

The regular edition Green Lantern

The battery operated lantern - on and off.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

The power ring reflection.

The translucent staircase base made of power ring energy.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sideshow Collectibles – Green Lantern Premium Format exclusive – Statueforum Review

The team behind the design and development of the Green Lantern Premium Format are as follows: Walter O’Neil, Pablo Viggiano, and Whitney Mitchell (Design), Mike Allen and Chadwick Anderson (mold and cast), Mike Najera and Anthony Mestas (paint) and the Sideshow Collectibles Design and Development Team.

The Green Lantern PF stands a towering 24.5 inches tall. The statue is also approximately 13 inches wide and 12 inches deep, and weighs approximately 13 pounds. Both the exclusive (edition size of 1250) and the regular edition (edition size of 2500) retail at $449.99. Sideshow began shipping out this statue to clients in January, 2017.

As I write this review, both the regular and exclusive editions are still available for purchase on the Sideshow website.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
risingstar
Jedi Order

Sideshow Collectibles proudly presents the Interstellar Guardian of Sector 2018: the Green Lantern premium format statue. Modern age comics fans who have been hoping Sideshow would revisit Green Lantern should be pleased with this latest interpretation of the emerald crusader. Fans disappointed with the perceived smaller scale of the prior interpretation produced in 2012 may lay all of their fears to rest as this sculpt displays beautifully with the other the Justice League premium formats produced by Sideshow.

Walter, Pablo, and Whitney present the fanbase with a delightful sculpt which pays terrific homage to fan favorite artists of the silver and early-modern age eras, i.e., Gil Kane, Neal Adams, Joe Staton, Romeo Tanghal, Dave Gibbons, Dick Dillan, and Mike Sekowsky, to name but a few. Although numerous costume interpretations of Green Lantern have been created over the years (i.e., by artists Ivan Reis, Jim Lee, and Ethan Van Sciver and others) as well as other would-be wielders of the power ring (i.e., John Stewart, Guy Gardner, and Kyle Raynor), none would ever reach Hal Jordan’s popularity, determination, and fearlessness. He truly is the one true Green Lantern. To those wondering, the later interpretations of Green Lantern’s costume featured black tights from the waist down to his green boots.

Sculpture: This is a wonderful sculpture. It exudes the audacious nature of the green gladiator of the spaceways. He stands resolute, defiant, and bold. The sculptors have successfully presented the fanbase with a definitive and classic era Green Lantern, though without the pre-New-52 distinguishing strands of gray in his hair, which is fine.

Green Lantern ascends what seems to be a translucent green stairway courtesy of his power ring, much like the yellow construct which appears on the base of the remarkable Sinestro premium format produced in 2014. The colors of the base are delightfully bright and present as a stark contrast to the colors featured on the other Justice League premium format statues. While it’s unclear if the base is part of an alien design or some kind of smorgasbord of power ring energy, it doesn’t matter. It nonetheless looks like something Green Lantern could conjure up so it works, even if we’re not sure what we’re looking at.

Sideshow offers the fanbase two distinct display options, i.e., a clenched fist forearm piece and second forearm piece wielding a light-up lantern (the latter is only available with the exclusive), both of which look fabulous. Although the light up lantern piece is made of plastic, as is the translucent base, that issue aside, it looks impressive. There’s an easily employed dial at the bottom of the lantern which can be used to turn the lantern on and off. Thankfully, Sideshow included an instructions leaflet so fans can learn how to properly turn on the lantern and replace the battery, if necessary.

There’s something unmistakably classic about this pose. At the risk of sounding biased, as I may have in the past regarding poses of this nature, I think it’s definitive of the silver age era when looking heroic was the standard as opposed to looking gritty and tortured. This is another one of those moments, I think, where the museum pose was the ideal pose.

The statue comes in 6 pieces: The Green Lantern body, one right forearm, two left forearms (one of which features the light-up lantern), one portrait, and the translucent green base.

Rating: 8.5/10

Paint/Mixed media: Silver, green, white and black are the main colors featured on this piece. I really like the choice of gloss in some places and mat in others. I must admit, I absolutely love the power ring reflection effect on his right fist. It’s a winning design choice as it totally works.

There were no painting over lines, smudges, or off-centered eyes, or other paint imperfections we sometimes see on sculpts, which is another positive. The paints on the base feature some impressive shading too. There’s no cloth-like material used on this sculpture, however, the base is made of a delightfully colorful resin, which looks wonderful. Nice job overall.

Rating 9/10

Production and Build quality: This is an area where the piece may lose some points. As a general rule, I’m not a fan of the use of plastic as it often looks and feels toyish, for lack of a more polite term. The light-up lantern piece in particular feels fragile, and the lights on mine flickered at times, which could mean something, or not. The base appeared to be made of plastic as well, which didn’t sit all that well with me either. However, if you can get past the greater than usual amount of plastic on a premium format, this piece does look quite impressive. Incidentally, the lantern can be taken apart, in case you need to replace the battery. However, I would highly recommend doing so extremely carefully.

Like the Darkseid premium format, I was a bit surprised at how hollow the base felt. As stated in earlier reviews, while I’m not a fan of heavy pieces in general, I’m even less of fan of thin pieces as it raises the risk of damage. However, the sculpt feels solid, which a plus. However, the sculpture (right foot peg) didn’t fit as flush into the slot on the base as it should have, as there is a space between the underside of his boot and the base.

The magnets work perfectly. There’s no tilting or imbalance to the statue or cause to be concerned about long term leaning issues, though I do have some long-term concern about the plastics and hollow base, as these may show some wear more easily than porcelain, at least I think so.

Rating 7/10

Design: I should simply cut and paste this paragraph from earlier reviews. In my opinion, the classic pose typically wins over the action pose as it’s the type of pose you can display with most things in most places. The inspiration for the classic pose works well here, even if it lacks in originality. However, to be honest, it would be nice to see a museum-type pose we haven’t seen before on other pieces.

Rating: 8.5/10

Overall, I think this piece successfully does what it set out to do, despite the noted shortcomings. In my opinion, it is a definite improvement from the prior Green Lantern release which simply did not fit well with other Justice League premium format releases in either design or scale. If you can get past the plastics issue on this latest release, which shouldn’t be a huge deal overall, you should be really happy with this one. This one is worth buying. Absolutely.

Overall rating: 8.25/10 (A-)

Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 01-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Great review, and AMAZING pics
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote