Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 07-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #31
Gino
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Here's the facts surrounding the weathering job.
I've handled all the helmets in the archives, as well as the one now owned by propstore (previously owned by S.Sansweet).
I can tell you that the weathering on all the originals still around have a LOT of variance to them.
Some had more intense weathering, some had less, but they were all done in the same manner.
When I weathered the prototype legend, I modeled it directly off the original we used from the archives (which had about a medium level of weathering compared to the others). Some were lighter, some were heavier. The one we modeled the prototype after was about in the middle.
If you don't prefer the styling of the weathering of the prototype, then what that really means is that you don't really prefer the look of the weathering on the original helmets, not that we did a poor job replicating it. It actually is a very close match.

If you closely examine the weathering on the original helmets, they appear to be a bit on the random sloppy side. But that's how they were done for the film.
Paint overspray. But performed in a deliberate random way if that makes sense.
On film they look great and the weathering doesn't really stand out with the rest of the costume and environment. Holding the helmet in your hands the weathering just sort of becomes more 'noticeable'. It's like you are for the first time, truly noticing the details and styling of the original helmets.

But rather than perform an idealized weathering job, we chose to match the weathering as it was done for the originals.
And since we had fantastic in-hand reference of an original helmet, that was the one I used to match the weathering to.

For the efx prototypes, we used the original production molds for everything except for the faceplate, chin cup, and eye lens.
For those pieces, we took molds from the interior of a screen-used helmet.
All these molds were vac-formed and assembled into a 1st gen helmet of the production molds, and then molded from the outside to produce fiberglass pieces.

Here's a shot of a guy wearing the weathered Legend at NYCC this past Oct.
For me seeing it on a person just drives home how important using original molds is regarding the correct look.
Just awesome. Looks straight out of the movie. And in a shot like this, the weathering just looks totally as it should and you don't really notice it standing out.

Now if you just have a preference for 'as first built - clean' props, then that's an entirely different thing.

Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #32
Darth Mystery
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkno4u View Post
I like the Scout blaster but as long it is a lump of resin (as all Scout blasters were) I'll easily pass on that - my favorite blaster is, and will always be, the Stormtrooper E-11 ANH blaster - and in that case nothing will beat the one I have maybe except a screen used one.
I would pay that amount just for the blaster, but this thing is made of resin?!? Really?!?
Give me back MASTER REPLICAS !!!

Sorry to say and i am really sorry to say, but these so called buckets are just not worth the cash LE or Legend.

This is coming from a die hard 'Dark Side' person.
Darth Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #33
DynamicMenace
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Here's the facts surrounding the weathering job.
I've handled all the helmets in the archives, as well as the one now owned by propstore (previously owned by S.Sansweet).
I can tell you that the weathering on all the originals still around have a LOT of variance to them.
Some had more intense weathering, some had less, but they were all done in the same manner.
When I weathered the prototype legend, I modeled it directly off the original we used from the archives (which had about a medium level of weathering compared to the others). Some were lighter, some were heavier. The one we modeled the prototype after was about in the middle.
If you don't prefer the styling of the weathering of the prototype, then what that really means is that you don't really prefer the look of the weathering on the original helmets, not that we did a poor job replicating it. It actually is a very close match.

If you closely examine the weathering on the original helmets, they appear to be a bit on the random sloppy side. But that's how they were done for the film.
Paint overspray. But performed in a deliberate random way if that makes sense.
On film they look great and the weathering doesn't really stand out with the rest of the costume and environment. Holding the helmet in your hands the weathering just sort of becomes more 'noticeable'. It's like you are for the first time, truly noticing the details and styling of the original helmets.

But rather than perform an idealized weathering job, we chose to match the weathering as it was done for the originals.
And since we had fantastic in-hand reference of an original helmet, that was the one I used to match the weathering to.

For the efx prototypes, we used the original production molds for everything except for the faceplate, chin cup, and eye lens.
For those pieces, we took molds from the interior of a screen-used helmet.
All these molds were vac-formed and assembled into a 1st gen helmet of the production molds, and then molded from the outside to produce fiberglass pieces.

Here's a shot of a guy wearing the weathered Legend at NYCC this past Oct.
For me seeing it on a person just drives home how important using original molds is regarding the correct look.
Just awesome. Looks straight out of the movie. And in a shot like this, the weathering just looks totally as it should and you don't really notice it standing out.

Now if you just have a preference for 'as first built - clean' props, then that's an entirely different thing.

thanks for the long detailed explanation Gino,
i see now that the weathering on the Original Scout helmets did in fact look like black spray paint. and is more than likely what they used to weather them.

i probably should have done a bit more research on those before i shot off.

but ill be honest with you. i think you may have gone a bit over board with the weathering compared to some of the film used helmets and helmets in the archive whch can be seen here at starwarshelmets.com http://www.starwarshelmets.com/real_Biker_Scouts.htm

i think the weathering should have been done more subtly and not so pronounced. to have it look more authentic to the originals in the film.
but thats just my own personal opinion and taste.

so i have a question,
why is that EFX states that , "the master molds were made from the "original master tools" ILM used to make the screen-used helmets. There was no digital scanning or 3D modeling used, only original parts and tooling"?
why dont they mention the fact that the entire front face was derived from a screen used helemt has your stating here? rather than making folks believe that the entire helmet was derived from the "original master tools" used for the helemt for the film? why didn't they state what your stating now in the description on the EFX website about the front face plate chin cup and eye lens?

or is it that little part "only original parts and tooling" of the description is supposed to cover all that you have mentioned here about the helmet's faceplate chin cup and lens?
DynamicMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #34
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicMenace View Post
but ill be honest with you. i think you may have gone a bit over board with the weathering compared to some of the film used helmets and helmets in the archive whch can be seen here at starwarshelmets.com http://www.starwarshelmets.com/real_Biker_Scouts.htm

i think the weathering should have been done more subtly and not so pronounced. to have it look more authentic to the originals in the film.
but thats just my own personal opinion and taste.
Like I said, there were helmets weathered more severely and some more lightly, we went with one right down the middle. This is really more about your personal preference for lighter weathering vs how they were done for the film.
Because I can assure you, some of the originals had a a LOT more severe weathering than our prototype.

Quote:
so i have a question,
why is that EFX states that , "the master molds were made from the "original master tools" ILM used to make the screen-used helmets. There was no digital scanning or 3D modeling used, only original parts and tooling"?
why dont they mention the fact that the entire front face was derived from a screen used helemt has your stating here? rather than making folks believe that the entire helmet was derived from the "original master tools" used for the helemt for the film? why didn't they state what your stating now in the description on the EFX website about the front face plate chin cup and eye lens?

or is it that little part "only original parts and tooling" of the description is supposed to cover all that you have mentioned here about the helmet's faceplate chin cup and lens?

Actually, we've stated what we used to create our prototypes from the very first announcement. Go to the first post of the announcement thread on RPF or Rebelscum which is where you'll usually find the most info (simply because that's where a large portion of our customers are).
In fact, I've reiterated it on the forums on multiple occasions as well.

To repeat once again:
We used original molds for both back/cap halves, and both halves of the visor. We molded a screen-used helmet from the archives from the inside of the parts for the faceplate, lens, and chin cup. And we also molded the resin snout detail piece.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #35
DynamicMenace

aahh i see. thanks for the insight. didn't realize all the crucial and in depth info about the helmet was on another site.
to many sites to keep up with.
one would think it would have been a good idea to list all of that on the EFX website to inform the customers who actually have to go there to make a purchase so they know exactly what they are getting.
i for one am like that and want to know exactly what i am getting on a purchase of this magnitude.
i will say though its good to know that the helmet has film linage to a degree. and it is a nice looking one at that. you guys did a good job replicating it.

it would have been cool if you could post a photo of the helmet that you used for reference for the weathering.
but im sure LFL wouldn't let you right? lol

well, my preference is to be film accurate. and i can only go off of what i see on film and in other photos on other sites that refer to them. and i just dont see one that resembles the one you did that had that much weathering. . but if you say it is then i guess ill just have to take your word for it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #36
Gino

Quote:
it would have been cool if you could post a photo of the helmet that you used for reference for the weathering.
but im sure LFL wouldn't let you right? lol

Here's a shot of the original helmet we referenced that Bryan posted over on Rebelscum:

Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #37
DynamicMenace

aah ha, cool.
any reason why you decided not to add the other accents of the weathering? such as the rust colored markings on the visor. at least thats what they look like.
ive notice some of that on the other films used helmets as well.

you guys just trying to keep things simple and didn't feel that it was necessary or needed?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #38
Gino

I think that was prob post filming. I do not remember seeing any other helmets with rust colored weathering. If there were any others it was most definitely the exception as opposed to the standard.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 AM   #39
DynamicMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
I think that was prob post filming. I do not remember seeing any other helmets with rust colored weathering. If there were any others it was most definitely the exception as opposed to the standard.
of course it would be post filing. you weren't there when they were filming the movie were you? LOL now your confusing me...lol
what do you mean you dont remember seeing any? isn't the image you posted the helemt you used for reference for the weathering? if so then that has the rust colored accents on the visor. take a closer look and you can clearly see them on the side of the visor.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #40
Gino

Go back and re read my post.
You are starting to smell like a prop den troll.