Hellfire Club

In his ebay feedback :'(

"never sent item,never responded to emails,had to open case to get refund

Item #:121266378573

Buyer:-t***t02/19/14"
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 AM   #82
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Everyone can feel free to hate on me for this post but...

I think enough is enough on this topic, people have made their point/said their piece on this issue and I think it is best put to bed. I don't think that 9 page trash threads are in the spirit of this forum, nor do they paint a positive picture of it's enthusiests.

Please don't take this as accepting of artist behaviour, it isn't, I feel for anyone who has spent hard earned on anything and not been delivered a product.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:30 AM   #83
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post

I think enough is enough on this topic, people have made their point/said their piece on this issue and I think it is best put to bed. I don't think that 9 page trash threads are in the spirit of this forum, nor do they paint a positive picture of it's enthusiests.

Please don't take this as accepting of artist behaviour, it isn't, I feel for anyone who has spent hard earned on anything and not been delivered a product.
I have to respectfully disagree. Nothing has been put to bed as commissions are still outstanding. I haven't spoken on the topic yet, but I too have been waiting for an EVS piece...since Nov 2013. Paid for...shipping included (as he promised to complete it the following week). Numerous conventions have been attended by friends (and members of this community) willing to pick up for me and still nothing. The only responses that I've gotten were due to getting his rep involved. He was taking a CGC sketch opp at the time, knowing that numerous collectors were owed commissions (myself included), he promptly replied to emails, promising quick completion, only to back out on those promises, and continue to not respond to emails once the heat died down.

I am more patient than most as I'm fine with a long wait period as long as communication is consistent. I'm not even talking weekly, one email per month "checking in" is usually my standard. "Just dropping you a note to see if you have any updates on my commission. I'll be attending (insert con here) and can pick-up there, but if it's not complete, I have a good friend attending (insert con here) and he's willing to pick-up for me."

I currently have 4 outstanding commissions longer than a year. One is approaching the 4 year mark, but the other artists have communicated with me, and in the 4 year case, this artist has completed 2 amazing pieces for me in that span. On the topic of wait periods too, I recently hopped on James Harren's list courtesy of all-round superstar - Felix Lu. Felix communicated with me that the piece will likely not be done until NYCC...no problem...I'm more than willing to wait that long for a piece from someone as talented as James and more than willing to deal with Felix any chance I get.

It's really great that Chris U commented on this one. All too often, this type of situation can appear to pit collector vs artist, when in actuality, it's not like this at all. EVS' antics really create distrust amongst the community, and I've really begun to notice this distrust. I recently sold a piece to another collector that experienced a week-long delay in shipping for some reason. This collector demanded a refund if the piece didn't show up by Friday. Luckily, the piece arrived, but I was in danger of losing out on a) cash or b) respect from a prominent member of the community all because of a week long shipping delay that was completely out of my hands. Now, I'm not blaming the collector for responding this way, I blame the distrust and dissension that guys like EVS have caused...numerous cases of collectors and artists alike engaging in shady deals.

I have real difficulty with this blatant disrespect...not just as a hobbyist, collector, or just member of our community, but as a person. In any walk of life, it is totally unacceptable to simply take someone's money for services promised, only to never deliver on such promises, then intentionally avoid all contact with that person.

I understand what you're saying Lordry, as these kinds of forums can appear to outside parties as a whine-fest and may take a little away from the awesomeness that is this forum...sharing and discussing art, but I really feel like it's necessary. We really don't have too many (if any) other venues to have our voices heard on these matters, so we need to take advantage of the ones we have.

Overall, these situations hurt Artists, Collectors, and everyone in the community. There are just too many awesome people in the comic-world that don't deserve to be treated this way.

No offense, Dude....I just feel like this thread is necessary.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:37 AM   #84
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I agree Punisher. This isnt a case of a witch hunt getting started before there's real proof that the artist is guilty. It seems pretty clear that Ethan is bad news. No offense Ethan...I'd love for you to prove everyone wrong. I dare you in fact

I get upset for the same reason Punisher mentioned. Every time an artist makes a lousy experience for a collector, they not only damage that persons faith in artists, but that story is then spread around the net until the whole community is aware of it. This is a small collecting world we're operating in.

It doesnt take too many drops to poison the well and as someone who has gone through pains to protect this market and his own reputation, I get really frustrated when I see other artists pissing in the pool with little to no regard for collectors or their fellow artists who're swimming.

I get the impression sometimes that commission work is seen as inferior or less important than the published work by some artists and if thats the case, please come a little closer so I can slap you in the mouth. Commissions are no different than any other type of work and deserves to be taken as seriously and handled just as professionally. You're not doing collectors a favor by completing the work you've been paid to do and if by some chance, you can't finish the work in the time you gave, you need to go out of your way to communicate with the client. It's really that simple.

COMMUNICATE. Your commission clients are fans of yours and will understand delays. They want very much to believe in you. They've already taken you at your word and have entrusted you with their hard earned money. Don't take that lightly. They will give you every benefit of the doubt and never lose faith in you as long as you communicate and do the right thing to take care of them. But, dont abuse that faith. This is a fantastic community of artists and collectors. Don't be one of the bad ones that spoils it for everyone. Be a professional.

End of rant.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #85
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

x3.

I've been through nearly the identical scenario with another artist and its about the worst experience that you can have in this hobby. Its not about a long wait, its about the runaround, the promises that never were, the taking money from others while you are on indefinite wait, the disappearances, etc.

With con season around the corner I think threads like these not only can help people avoid headaches with someone like an EVS but also serve as a reminder to do your diligence before dropping hundreds of dollars on an artist.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #86
Edward-G
Frackin!

Well said, Punisher1919, snappahead and carlito1978. With situations like this and the fall of the C$ making commissions more expensive, I'll take even greater care during the upcoming con season.
Edward-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #87
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
x3.

I've been through nearly the identical scenario with another artist and its about the worst experience that you can have in this hobby. Its not about a long wait, its about the runaround, the promises that never were, the taking money from others while you are on indefinite wait, the disappearances, etc.

With con season around the corner I think threads like these not only can help people avoid headaches with someone like an EVS but also serve as a reminder to do your diligence before dropping hundreds of dollars on an artist.
There's too much tomfoolery from some artists doing commissions imo- enough that I've decided to scale back on them even though I'd rather not. I want to make sure to keep my enjoyment of the hobby, and with the number of bad commission experiences mounting I figure it'll be easier to keep my love of the art if I make my involvement more minimal. Sucks, but then again it's helping me be more responsible and putting that $ toward school loans instead.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #88
Mfinn123
Hydra

I respectfully disagree. EVS owes many people commissions for far too long and apparently this is a longstanding practice -- I do not think it should be stopped. Part of the hobby is also making folks aware of the danger signs -- I'd be happy if this went on for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post

Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #89
Shiz
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain88 View Post
That's good advice sir. I will definitely be doing that. Thanks for the information.
Let me know how it works out!
Shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:27 PM   #90
Underdog07
Hercules

Any update?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote