Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #21
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
I also have a policy that I try hard not to break. I don't like to spend more than 200 for an in con piece.
That's a rule that would have to be broken nowadays with any name artist as the current rates are generally well over that level.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #22
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Thinking about this thread made me go to my CAF gallery in search of some con commissions I have picked up over the years – here are a of the better experiences I have had:

Skottie Young – Skottie is an amazing artist and really great at shows. He is also an example of an artist who is pretty pricey to get to do an at home commission so convention pieces are a good way to go. I was absolutely blown away watching him do this and even more so with the final result.
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=909157

Tom Fowler – Tom was great to work with and I got a good vibe right away when I met him at Heroes a couple years ago. I asked and paid for a B&W piece and he ended up adding color as he said he felt the piece needed it with no upcharge. Great experience.
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1026180

I am also realizing how much I prefer the at home option with a con pick up as I have a lot of pieces that were arranged prior to a show and picked up at the artist’s table. I also have a bunch of con commissions that need uploaded to CAF. I also bring along a sketch book for art that is $50 and below as another good option.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
dcd747
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Some of the names I've had success with delivering a great piece at a show:
Jim Calafiore
Chrissie Zullo
Ale Garza
Tom Raney
Uko Smith
Mike McKone
Eddy Barrows
Ken Lashley

Most all of those names, however, definitely required a multi-day convention commitment.
dcd747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #24
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Tim KILLED a commission for me at a show. Herb did the same via the at home route. I also got something done by Herb at a show and while I liked it there was clearly less time invested. I did not mind however as I got more enjoyment out of interacting with Herb and the piece always reminds me of the first time I met him. He is EXTREMELY busy at shows with constant lines and people wanting to talk. All 3 were great experiences.
That's the thing about Trimpe, the guy has a ton of stories and is super nice so talking to him is a blast. Makes the experience worth it no matter what you decide to do - he also has a bunch of pre-drawn stuff there to take a look at. His pencils are super tight so even if you decide to just do something in pencil to save some money, he delivers!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #25
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Skottie Young for sure and a great guy
Art Adams if you can get on his list at a convention
Dave Wachter
Creaturebox
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #26
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I have had great experiences with both Scott Kolins and Joe Prado. Joe is coming back to Detroit this year and I will probably get another commission from him then.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:26 PM   #27
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Skottie Young for sure and a great guy
Art Adams if you can get on his list at a convention
Dave Wachter
Creaturebox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs1162 View Post
I have had great experiences with both Scott Kolins and Joe Prado. Joe is coming back to Detroit this year and I will probably get another commission from him then.
Very good con experiences with these guys as well

CAF

Last edited by JadeGiant; 01-22-2015 at 02:44 PM.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #28
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
Thanks for starting this this thread. I usually try to get pre done pieces. Artists can be very distracted at cons making it hard to draw between shaking folks hands, signing autographs and selling OA. Having said that there are a few folks who really do amazing pieces at cons for a great price.
I agree here with Ari. Getting in touch with an artist pre-con is the best way to go. Unless you want to catch your piece being worked on that is.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #29
prizzy726
The Spirit

I actually prefer getting at con commissions, mostly because I like interacting with the artist whose work I am getting. Also, the waiting horror stories scare me. But the not-knowing-what-you're-going-to-get is also scary. My best at con experiences have been:

Todd Nauck
Stephane Roux
Michael Dooney
Daniel Govar

These, plus all the guys mentioned already, produce great work for the price and are easy to work with.
prizzy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #30
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Adi Granov is my current go to artist at conventions.