Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
moonlightdrive21
Hellboy

Stupid Comedy Trend in Marvel Movies

So, how many of you are for or against the direction Disney has been going in to add a lot more stupid comedy into the Marvel movies that have the classic comic book characters? I just came back from seeing Thor and threw up a little in my mouth.

I get how Disney would want to change up the standard formula that’s been used for hero movies. But if a change is needed, why not go darker like they did with “Logan” instead of dumbing it down to middle school level humor like they did with this latest Thor movie?

On the flip side, the over the top comedy approach DID work for Deadpool and Guardians, which were good flicks, and in my view had better comedy writing that worked for those characters.

What do you fellas think?
moonlightdrive21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 AM   #2
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightdrive21 View Post
So, how many of you are for or against the direction Disney has been going in to add a lot more stupid comedy into the Marvel movies that have the classic comic book characters? I just came back from seeing Thor and threw up a little in my mouth.

I get how Disney would want to change up the standard formula that’s been used for hero movies. But if a change is needed, why not go darker like they did with “Logan” instead of dumbing it down to middle school level humor like they did with this latest Thor movie?

On the flip side, the over the top comedy approach DID work for Deadpool and Guardians, which were good flicks, and in my view had better comedy writing that worked for those characters.

What do you fellas think?
Hate it. Wanted to walk out of Guardians because of all the forced comedy, just not a fan. Loved Marvel Phase 1 but those days seem long over unfortunately.

I didn't care for Logan either though, too much the other direction and they ruined the characters.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I was disappointed in Thor ragnorak. I’ve been reading superhero books for a while and I’ve never seen the level of comedy in the books that are in the movie. I’d like to see superhero comics more serious. Winter soldier was , IMO, the best marvel movie. comedy was subtle and the story was great as was the action.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #4
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Wanted to walk out of Guardians because of all the forced comedy, just not a fan.
I was really shocked by Volume 2. The scene where Yondu kills almost everyone on a spaceship was played either for laughs or to show how "cool" he was...but I just kept thinking, it's an unnecessary massacre.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
moonlightdrive21
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Hate it. Wanted to walk out of Guardians because of all the forced comedy, just not a fan. Loved Marvel Phase 1 but those days seem long over unfortunately.

I didn't care for Logan either though, too much the other direction and they ruined the characters.

I didn’t like most of the Guardians 2 humor either.

Even the last Spiderman, while not drenched with the same kind of stupid comedy bits, felt too much like “Saved by the Bell” for me - really juvenile. Too bad because there were plenty of good parts to it. Though lots of people said they loved it. Makes me scratch my head.

In the case of Thor, part of the reason it was hard to take is because these are characters that they established as serious characters in the prior movies,not to mention in the original comics.
moonlightdrive21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

From a family perspective the comedy trend works well, kids will always like it.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Has anyone seen the trailer for Black Panther? Does that look like a comedy to you?

I enjoyed Thor and I thought the humor was great. The first scene seemed a bit forced but other than that, I enjoyed it. When I first read comics as a kid, they were fun to read, they weren't all serious. That's what I got out of Thor, a fun comic book movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

It’s definitely gone way too far. You can make a kid friendly movie that has a few jokes and is still a good, well constructed story- any of the Cap films for example.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Mister H
Gen 13

I think we’re starting to see the downward turn for Marvel movies unfortunately. They are starting to resemble the 60’s Batman tv show. Let’s hope this new pattern doesn’t find its way into Black Panther and the next Avengers movie.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Has anyone seen the trailer for Black Panther? Does that look like a comedy to you?

I enjoyed Thor and I thought the humor was great. The first scene seemed a bit forced but other than that, I enjoyed it. When I first read comics as a kid, they were fun to read, they weren't all serious. That's what I got out of Thor, a fun comic book movie.
And that is really what they are going for. Something the majority of people will like. I was happy with it because it put a smile on my face. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think a lot of viewers need to take a step back and enjoy the marvel movies for what they are - just fun popcorn comic movies. Like... I'm sorry you feel that adding humour to a comic movie makes it bad... but maybe realize that you just saw Thor fight Gladiator Hulk in front of the Grandmaster. In a movie. It was awesome.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote