Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Retailers' perspective on Marvel's and others' slump in sales:

http://www.newsarama.com/34710-comic...-about-it.html

Sadly, the underlying message is that this is a dying form of entertainment. Comics now have virtually zero visibility. Most kids today have never even seen a comic book. I still have vivid memories of the time I handed my 8 year old niece a bunch of comics books and hearing her say, "Wow! What kind of a book is this??".

I think kids remain a very viable audience, however, parents aren't going to spend $4 on a part 6 of 9 and/or commit to finding the earlier ones and buying the later ones. I think we all know what needs to be done, i.e., simpler and more concise storylines, be much more affordable, and to tone down the sexual and violent themes. Adult fans may need to pass on the baton to the next generation.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Retailers' perspective on Marvel's and others' slump in sales:

http://www.newsarama.com/34710-comic...-about-it.html
Regarding the comment about competing with online retailers like Amazon, even though I do it too, I know buying from Cheap Graphic Novels doesn't help either. Those omnibus discounts are just too big to resist.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Regarding the comment about competing with online retailers like Amazon, even though I do it too, I know buying from Cheap Graphic Novels doesn't help either. Those omnibus discounts are just too big to resist.
My retailers won't stock Omnibuses any more as they're too expensive and have limited appeal. As a result, I've been driven away from my LCS and go to CGN for my Omnibuses and Masterworks.

And, as you note, the CGN discounts are just too huge to pass up.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
SONICobra
Batman

article pretty much sums up where im at unfortunately... marvel has always been my go to over dc but i just cant to it anymore. the characters are unrecognizable and you have to buy 4-8+ titles just to complete a storyline due to all the damn cross overs and "events". im just sick of it, after i move im trimming my pull down quite a bit and will just collect select stories / titles in trade i find interesting

i used to dream of opening a comic store... its unfortunate that will never happen

YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF MARVEL
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote