Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #41
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipkusing View Post
Dead serious. She's a bit off.
First time I saw it I thought it was Winona Ryder.
I was wondering why she would be in a 50's style outfit and then I remembered she played Jerry Lee Lewis's child bride in Great Balls Of Fire.

What an odd choice for a statue.

Took a little while to dawn on me that it was supposed to Audrey and then Roman Holiday quickly came to mind.

I'm a classic film buff, and it honestly didn't flash that this was Hepburn immediately.

I don't think it's an especially strong likeness, but I do think the entirety of the piece as a whole gives it enough appeal for most people to gloss over the former. Especially if you are a huge fan of hers (it's not like every other company is rushing to put out Audrey statues).

If it were 100% spot on, I could definitely see being tempted by it. As it is, it's fun to enjoy via pics, but easy enough to pass on for me.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #42
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
First time I saw it I thought it was Winona Ryder.
I was wondering why she would be in a 50's style outfit and then I remembered she played Jerry Lee Lewis's child bride in Great Balls Of Fire.

What an odd choice for a statue.

Took a little while to dawn on me that it was supposed to Audrey and then Roman Holiday quickly came to mind.

I'm a classic film buff, and it honestly didn't flash that this was Hepburn immediately.

I don't think it's an especially strong likeness, but I do think the entirety of the piece as a whole gives it enough appeal for most people to gloss over the former. Especially if you are a huge fan of hers (it's not like every other company is rushing to put out Audrey statues).

If it were 100% spot on, I could definitely see being tempted by it. As it is, it's fun to enjoy via pics, but easy enough to pass on for me.
She reminds me of 1950s Japanese women, not Audrey Hepburn.

And that's kind of a problem when the art design is done by people who aren't the same ethnicity as the subject. When I first saw the Koto ArtFX+ Batgirl, I thought it was a bootleg!!!

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 AM   #43
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Beautiful statue.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 AM   #44
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I can understand those saying there's something Japanese about her, but being a self-proclaimed classic film buff and not thinking immediately of Roman Holiday strikes me as odd. It's not like it's an obscure film.

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #45
pdenham
Teen Titans

I've seen Roman Holiday once, over a decade ago, and am patiently waiting for it hit Bd before I watch it again (I think I heard Criterion might have it).

I came to appreciate AH pretty late. First time I saw Breakfast At Tiffany's I hated it. Re-evaluating it more than a decade later, I loved it.

Actually, I think it was the bike (and the RH connection) that made me realize it was Hepburn, not the other way around.

Going by that B&W, the likeness seems better than I gave it credit for. I guess this being early Audrey, her look here doesn't immediately strike me. I still have yet to see Sabrina or Love In The Afternoon. I'm more familiar with her in the sixties. Two For The Road was the last thing I watched her in and her look is obviously quite different in that.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #46
omigeo
Alpha Flight

She does look like Audrey from that film, but Audrey to me, also had a look of a Japanese every time I saw that movie. So I think she does look like Audrey, especially from that movie.
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #47
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
And that's kind of a problem when the art design is done by people who aren't the same ethnicity as the subject. When I first saw the Koto ArtFX+ Batgirl, I thought it was a bootleg!!!
That's so not true. That's just a statue done poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
She does look like Audrey from that film, but Audrey to me, also had a look of a Japanese every time I saw that movie. So I think she does look like Audrey, especially from that movie.
Nicely said. She does look a bit Asian, just look at the pic.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #48
demonhunter
Kingpin

She looks Asian in Roman Holiday? Really?
I don't know. I'm Asian, she never struck me as looking Asian in that. Or any movie for that matter.

demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #49
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonhunter View Post
She looks Asian in Roman Holiday? Really?
I don't know. I'm Asian, she never struck me as looking Asian in that. Or any movie for that matter.

I'm with you. I don't know what them others are smoking. I immediately knew it was hepburn.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #50
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I thought this was Lucy Liu until I read the thread title.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote