Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 07-22-2018, 09:52 PM   #71
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
I don't work there, but I've been told the same thing several times about not being able to sell display items. A manager (and fellow collector on the side) assured me the policy was true and that "technically" the merchandise in the case belonged to the vendor and was not theirs to sell. I'll take him at his word.
That makes sense since Koto's statues are usually displayed in their own islands/kiosks. Maybe Koto (or Diamond) sends their own employees to re-stock / re-arrange those things the way that outside vendors re-stock baseball cards at Target and Walmart.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #72
golem216
Frackin!

Quote:
I don't work there, but I've been told the same thing several times about not being able to sell display items. A manager (and fellow collector on the side) assured me the policy was true and that "technically" the merchandise in the case belonged to the vendor and was not theirs to sell. I'll take him at his word. I had a similar run-in at a Best Buy years ago over a turntable that was on display. It was out of stock, was not being reordered, was out of the system and the last one in the entire chain nationwide. The salesperson still refused and I asked was it a museum piece earmarked for the Smithsonian? He got testy and stormed off. I got a manager and explained the status (which had been verified by the salesperson) and the manager went, "Makes sense to me. Sell it to him." I got the item (from a very POed salesperson), but don't expect this to work at B&N unless WHEN they go out of business (and they will relatively soon, I'm afraid) and liquidate everything, IMHO.
It sounds like I was just lucky in the past then. I guess if they don't want a sale, they don't want a sale. I ended up getting the Emperor Palpatine and 2 Royal Guard set for $100 after 25% coupon plus 10% for membership. Not bad for a 3-pack.
golem216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #73
Gothamite
Phoenix

Gorilla Grodd is being clearanced now.

Quote:
I don't work there, but I've been told the same thing several times about not being able to sell display items. A manager (and fellow collector on the side) assured me the policy was true and that "technically" the merchandise in the case belonged to the vendor and was not theirs to sell. I'll take him at his word. I had a similar run-in at a Best Buy years ago over a turntable that was on display. It was out of stock, was not being reordered, was out of the system and the last one in the entire chain nationwide. The salesperson still refused and I asked was it a museum piece earmarked for the Smithsonian? He got testy and stormed off. I got a manager and explained the status (which had been verified by the salesperson) and the manager went, "Makes sense to me. Sell it to him." I got the item (from a very POed salesperson), but don't expect this to work at B&N unless WHEN they go out of business (and they will relatively soon, I'm afraid) and liquidate everything, IMHO.
Btw, JoeWorf, Best Buy doesn't sell its display statues, either. They get sent to a graveyard of statues, sorted, and listed on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Brok...T/223080756493

Old 08-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #74
heypaul
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Any idea how much some of the Kotos would be with the 30% discount? Not sure what their starting price is - do they just do MSRP?
heypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 PM   #75
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by heypaul View Post
Any idea how much some of the Kotos would be with the 30% discount? Not sure what their starting price is - do they just do MSRP?
Yes.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:01 PM   #76
heypaul

Thanks. I will probably just wait until they are 75% off then.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #77
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Thanks. I will probably just wait until they are 75% off then.
I challenge you to wait until $2 final clearance.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:42 PM   #78
heypaul

Haha, I saw that Thor on the shelf something like a year ago when I was last at Barnes & Noble, so I'm pretty sure at least that one will last until $2 clearance.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #79
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Haha, I saw that Thor on the shelf something like a year ago when I was last at Barnes & Noble, so I'm pretty sure at least that one will last until $2 clearance.
I believe Captain Cold was part of previous clearance sales as well.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 PM   #80
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Btw, JoeWorf, Best Buy doesn't sell its display statues, either. They get sent to a graveyard of statues, sorted, and listed on eBay.
Thanks for the heads up. Sadly, the B&Ns in my area that have in the past even stocked any collectibles have let their inventory dwindle to almost zilch. Not even worth the trip these days. Except for a boatload of POP! figures and a stray ARTFX+ or ancient DC Direct figure they're barren. Last time I checked their website they didn't seem to be stocking much of anything new. It's the usual cycle... slow sales, cut inventory, reduce staff, fewer consumer offerings, diminished service = customers shop elsewhere, continued declining sales (nothing to buy), more layoffs, less product.... Going out of Business Sale. Finis. Remember, these guys used to own GameStop, which is in a bit of a slump due to streaming and online options. Blockbuster vs Netflix / B&N vs Amazon, etc. McDonald's better pray that no one comes up with Star Trek style food replicators... oh wait, they have... 3-D printers!
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote