Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
So, anyone else out there a Night Stalker and Dark Shadows fan who picked up the Kolchak Tales Annual?
I didn't, but I really enjoyed your review of it. It was very honest, especially coming from someone who is an admitted fan of both properties.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Enjoyed the finale to Sub-Mariner. Not much of Namor in the finale, but it seemed rather fitting. Loved the look he was given, with the cold, dead eyes and pin point teeth. The double page splash was superb too.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM View Post
Enjoyed the finale to Sub-Mariner. Not much of Namor in the finale, but it seemed rather fitting. Loved the look he was given, with the cold, dead eyes and pin point teeth. The double page splash was superb too.
Many of my points, exactly, JLM!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
I didn't, but I really enjoyed your review of it. It was very honest, especially coming from someone who is an admitted fan of both properties.
Thanks, Toxie.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
WoK review will be up tomorrow! Comic read, review is in my head, I just had to write a different thing first today...
and my reviews for Cable and Secret Warriors will be up in the AM Friday as well... had a long ass photo shoot to art direct today and zero time to craft reviews that will make any sense.

great reviews Sammy and Cap'n
Old 03-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
fossa2
Like a Phoenix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
So, anyone else out there a Night Stalker and Dark Shadows fan who picked up the Kolchak Tales Annual?
Rily. He picks up *EVERYTHING*
fossa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

War of Kings #1 review now up. In short, it's good. The book, not the review.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Dawg's Reviews

Cable #12
Marvel Comics
Written by: Duane Swierczynski
Drawn by: Jamie McKelvie

I truly applaud the X-books franchise and its editorial and creative staff. A little over a year ago they decided that they wanted to have their first major crossover with various books in the line called Messiah Complex. The story was about the first mutant child being born since the Scarlett Witch wiped every mutant out except for maybe a couple hundred.

The story was a great success and by the end the various X-books had been re-organized and prioritized to follow the plights of these mutants as their own stories pertain to this new mutant birth.

Cable was the one charged with taking care of this mutant child by Cyclops and despite a traitorous Bishop doing his level best to assassinate the child at every turn through time and space, Cable has done pretty damn well at protecting the mutant child. In fact he has watched her grow to 8 years of age through time slides into the distant future.

Running from the tenacious mutant Bishop though has been costly. They can only slide forward into time and Bishop has unleashed nukes in the past to ensure he can find them much easier in a desolate wasteland of a future that he has created for his hunting ground.

Tired, dehydrated, and morally defeated this issue starts off with Cable laying unconscious in the wasteland with his now 8 year old charge “Hope” trying to revive him. They were on their way to whatever would be left of Westchester New York in hopes of finding anything they could that would help them get back to the past, or fix Cable’s time sliding device. They didn’t quite get there before Cable wore out though and it falls on hope to use some of her training to save them both.

The kid comes through pretty well as she finds an old hideaway buried in the sand and finds necessary supplies to revive Cable and help them continue their trip.

They end up in the tattered rubble of the X-Mansion/compound and discover an old uniform for Hope and a message left for Cable from Cyclops stating that Cyke believes in Cable and thinks he will complete this all important mission.

The two then time slide again before Bishop could possibly catch them and they appear in a future that Cable does NOT want to be in as it seems he instantly recognizes it. I can only assume it a timeline he is much more familiar with as with every jump he is getting closer to the timeline that he actually comes from. This will be where his greatest nemesis Stryfe, Cable and X-Force possibly show down in the coming Messiah War crossover. I can’t wait as both of these books are extremely well done.

Cable has certainly never been a lot of folks cup of tea. I have always liked the character though and in think in recent years he has lived down much of his early criticism from the 90’s with his big guns and his anti-hero vibe. Cable is being written very well and he has a clear purpose under Swierczynski and I really enjoy reading it every time I open its pages. I think if you are a fan of X-Force you should pick up a couple issues of this series when they crossover and you may decide that Cable is a helluva lot better book than you might be thinking it is.

Secret Warriors #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jonathan Hickman
Drawn by: Stefano Caselli

Nick Fury is the baddest Mo-Fo in the Marvel Universe. He knew of the skrull invasion long before anyone else did.

(Shameless plug: Have your ordered your Super Skrull statue from Bowen designs, sculpted by Keith Kopinski yet?)

Nick was able to go underground for a good “year” before anyone knew why. All along, he knew that his global police force SHIELD had been compromised by skrulls. He has been planning and recruiting super-powered individuals who are off the grid that would help him turn the tide. My favorites among these are Daisy, who produces earthquakes, and Phobos, the son of Ares and god of fear (also just a kid who likes x-box).

Nick’s plan is to find out where things when wrong and use any means necessary to burn it to the ground.

Last issue he discovered that it wasn’t just skrulls that had taken over SHIELD, but in fact the organization Hydra lead by own of his oldest foes Baron Von Strucker, had infiltrated SHIELD and many other things long before the skrull invasion.

Things just got a lot more complicated for Nick and his “caterpillars” .

This issue we get to learn about when and where SHIELD was compromised by Hydra, as well as other things that Hydra has been up to. I gotta say, the threat of Hydra feels a lot more like an actual threat again after this issue. For a long time now in the Marvel Universe, I have felt like Hydra has been used just for fodder that the good guys can punch. But Von Strucker being back in the mix certainly adds a depth of sinister intentions not there before. Von Strucker also learns at one point that Hydra had been compromised with Skrulls and what he does is pretty outrageous to the say the least. Kudos for Stefano Caselli to give this sequence amazing depth and scale as a cackling Von Strucker torches his whole organization just to clear the riff raff.

I like this series so far. I mean Nick Fury is a no brainer if you want to read a book where some ass gets kicked, but I am aloso intrigued by his recruits, I love Caselli’s art and I am digging the direction Hickman is taking. He certainly gets my vote for reviving the character that he does on the very last page.

I am on board at least for a while and I am certainly liking this book as it is very fresh.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

What I love about all the Space stuff, the fighting is brutal. People die, limbs get severed, just brutal stuff. I can't wait to finish reading WoK's and I hope they pull the GotG into it too. And I agree with you Jess about Gladiator having to convince himself it's the right thing to do. I wonder two things about the series though, will they do the obvious Gladiator turns on Vulcan to help overthrow him and will Vulcan actually stay Emperor of the Shi'ar after this?

As for Secret Warriors, I liked the first issue but with comics getting more expensive, I just can't get into another series at the moment but I'll probably get the tpb of it.
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

War of Kings was fantastic. The scene with Ronan to which Jess alludes was very poignant. I think we've yet to see the role Gladiator will play going forward. What a hell of an opening salvo of an issue!