Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
One thing I seriously didn’t even realize after last issue is that Mjolnir was partially shattered from Thor’s fight with Bor. And, despite possessing the Odinpower, Thor seems to be at a loss to repair his weapon. I’m not sure I understand why this is so, as the Odinpower has been able to do so before.
simple.

In Norse mythology, it's NOT the Asgardians themselves who developed the weapons, tools...etc

it's the dwarves.

it'll be interesting if Blake(Thor) sets out a journey for the dwarves and Sif's current body.
I'm just not sure if dwarves even exist in the Marvel U or not.
well...there's frost giant!! so perhaps there might be dwarves.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
simple.

In Norse mythology, it's NOT the Asgardians themselves who developed the weapons, tools...etc

it's the dwarves.

it'll be interesting if Blake(Thor) sets out a journey for the dwarves and Sif's current body.
Joe Quesada is the magic dwarf.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
simple.

it's the dwarves.

I have a feeling the dwarves do exist. After Thor brought back the Asgardians we saw other entities like the Frost Giants, Hela and others appear. Just because the dwarves weren't shown doesn't mean they're now not around.

Still and all, knowing that Mjolnir was forged by the dwarves for Odin it still seems to me that the Odinpower by itself should be able to restore Mjolnir. But, then, in Thor Disassembled he did have Surtur restore the broken Mjolnir so it likely is the case that even with the Odinpower he still needs a forger to do this.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecallahan View Post

Also, on the GR front, I'm just going to have to follow it in TPB's at this point I believe, this current arc of Aaron's is his last so no big loss I think (on the collecting front, I loved his first TPB!).
Well, when you get to this issue wait 'til you see how Tony Moore handles Ketch's transforming into the Ghost Rider. It's a major gross-out in the spirit of the best grade B horror films!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #25
protector2814
Phoenix

For such a soft book, What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader really moved me in a way no comic book has ever done and I tribute Gaiman's insight to that. I found it to be very powerful and the female reveal was completely unexpected, made perfect sense and bordered on a comic book religous affirmation for me.
Bruce/Batman's continued religous and spiritual denials through the entire 2nd part were amazing especially when one considers that he was in the midst of a theological experience.
I believe that we'll be met by others that have crossed over and it soothes me to feel this way. For this reason alone, I found this book extremely rewarding on a personal level. This was a DC' The Last or The End, akin to the Marvel final stories only more serious. I viewed the final panels as an almost Eastern, philosophical end is the beginning kind of thing. You know, the "we've all been here before" idea. When the female mentions that she's only seen true happiness once, on the face of a boy reading a children's book he may have been a few years too old for, well....that really meant somethiing to me; perfect happiness, profound loss, and a lifetime of invited conflict....man, this book was important on some levels. I loved it. Batman was/is born to do what it is he does. Sad, in a way, very sad.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
bat_collector
Galactus

great post protector!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #27
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I've got a question to pose to you guys. Is there any prominent Asgardians who haven't been accounted for yet? I've wondered about that human short-order cook. Maybe he's just a lucky mortal, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a big twist coming our way in Thor.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #28
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Still behind on my reading, only read Mighty Avengers from this week's haul. I'm not sure what I think to this new run yet, but the Loki premise is fantastic, and adding Pietro to the roster is a bonus. I just wish I could figure out exactly what his new costume looks like...

Last edited by JDH; 04-24-2009 at 05:55 AM.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
I've got a question to pose to you guys. Is there any prominent Asgardians who haven't been accounted for yet? I've wondered about that human short-order cook. Maybe he's just a lucky mortal, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a big twist coming our way in Thor.
Maybe it's the Executioner finally being reborn?
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #30
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Dawg’s Reviews

Elektra #2 (of 5)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Zeb Wells
Drawn by: Clay Mann
Elektra is a great character in the Marvel Universe. She has fallen victim for far to long to bad stories and failed attempts at making her relevant and unique outside of the Daredevil mythos. I simply ask why would they try to take her away from that corner of the Marvel U.? That is where she was introduced, where she fits incredibly well as a supporting character and a stand alone character, and the ninja/ street level action suit her best.

So along comes Zeb Wells and Clay Mann to tell us a new Elektra story. So far I have to say that it’s very promising. Elektra has been stripped down to what her character was born to do and that is basically ninja-!%&!%&!%&!%&!%&slap anyone in her way.

Elektra has been in Norman Osborn and HAMMER custody since SHIELD was disbanded. Though a little bad assery Elektra was able to break free in the first issue. This issue continues where we left off and Elektra is being faced down by a plethora of HAMMER agents with gun beads at her head. I have to think that this is where Elektra shines the most and she pulls a rabbit out of a hat and dodges bullets, uses HAMMER’s equipment and facilities against the agents to continue her prison break. Not only that but she cuts through these guys like they were nothing on his way all the while she is at half capacity due to her many existing injuries.

Elektra kicking so much ass was not even the best part of the story in issue two however. To me it was what happens next as Foggy Nelson happens upon Elektra rummaging through Matt Murdock’s files and office. Foggy displeased and over protective of Matt admonishes Elektra for coming back anywhere near Matt’s life and tells her to leave, but things get a bit complicated when she slumps to the floor from blood loss and exhaustion from her escape. This is what I am talking about… Taking Elektra back into the corner of the Marvel Universe where she belongs… even if on the fringe of it. It was great to see that the first place she went was to Matt whom she has more history with than any other character.

To top it all off Norman Osborn is displeased with his crew in HAMMER and tells Bullseye (Dark Hawkeye) that it is time for him to pay a visit to his favorite ninja assassin. Bullseye vs. Elektra sounds most excellent doesn’t it?

For their work on this mini series so far I can simple say to Zeb Wells and Clay Mann… Well played sirs…

Daredevil #118
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Michael Lark

How awesome is this book?

QUITE AWESOME!

I love Daredevil. I was very excited to review this book this month as I know it’s one of Joe’s mainstays, much like Spider-Man is for me in the Mighty Reviews. Not only that, but I get to review this book when it centers around a Kingpin/Daredevil arc. It’s a good day tater’

Daredevil and the Kingpin have struck an accord. They are pooling their resources to wipe out he hand in “their” turf. It’s very much “The enemy of my enemy is my friend” type of pact. The Kingpin has an axe to grind against the Hand as does Daredevil and Lady Bullseye beware.

Of course dealing with the Kingpin of crime does come with its negatives as everyone surround Matt, believes that he’s finally lost it. Let’s face it… Matt Murdock is a tragic character. The dude can’t have anything go his way for more than 5 minutes. Mr. Fear’s toxins and poison gas has driven his wife Milla insane and her parents have taken her away from Matt. He has had an affair with Dakota North. Foggy has just about had it with Matt for how he is on this self destructive path especially when he hears a message announcing his teaming with the Kingpin right on his own answering machine.

At a glance it would certainly seem that Matt has made some bad choices. His supporting cast certainly thinks so. This is what makes Daredevil such a great character though. We all make choices every day that we rationalize as the best we can do with what we’ve been given. Matt Murdock is no different. He is flawed and he is human and yet he’s still a hero. There’s something believable about that and you can’t help but feel for the character all the while thinking about his mistakes as being obvious.

Meanwhile, the Kingpin is reintroducing himself to the criminal underworld of New York and pays a visit to the incarcerated Owl. Seeing the criminals freeze in fear of the Kingpin is fantastic, no matter how bad ass they think they are. It really sets up how important and feared the Kingpin truly is.

Not much else happens per se in this issue, but the game is set in motion. The end goal is to put Lady Bullseye and the hand out of commission. The players are setting up their own version of the game and it’s going to be dynamite by the time we come to a resolution. It truly is great to have such a layered story happening in this title, but then again, it's what we have come to expect from this creative team and this title in general. Easily my pick of the week.