Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Johnneeukca
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Baloney!

DC is a major company (still backed by Warner Bros.?) with significant financial supports and backing. Bowen Designs is a much smaller company (for example), but you dont every one of their MB/FS being gradually raised in price! They still hover around $45-$55, and the FS pieces also, between $140-$175, depending on the piece.

Agreed there are some pieces that are more expensive, usually because they're slightly larger (i.e. BA Thor and Terrax) but overall the costs have been consistent.

DC is just "corporate" greedy and they continue to lack empathy and consideration for the fans they produce these pieces for in the first place.

Which part is baloney? The part where markets increase their prices because they know they have a winning product? Or my suggestion that DC will blame the increase on expenses? I don't know anything about any financial backing DC get, but I'd expect that regardless of who "backs" them they still have a duty to turn a profit. All other things being equal you're probably right that DC is latching onto this product to make more money and fine go ahead and call it "corporate greed".

Either way the fact that "other small companies" don't increase their prices is, I'm sure, a business decision. But as long as there is a demand, the prices will keep going up. In which case I guess you could look at it like Ebay. And if you're looking at it like Ebay, I suggest you try and buy a Hulk v Spidey or a SS Iron Man or a Soulfire:Grace from someone who bought one JUST to resell.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
bat_collector
Galactus

Well, I think for the size of the product and the quality, its worth every penny to me.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #13
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Well, I think for the size of the product and the quality, its worth every penny to me.
Definitely worth it. I'm actually shocked that the Risso sculpt jumped up to over $100 bucks so quickly (EBay). I hope the Bolland/Jones/Ross pieces do as well...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
bat_collector
Galactus

and the most surprsing thing about the risso one? 7,000 edition size
Old 11-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #15
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
and the most surprsing thing about the risso one? 7,000 edition size
Exactly! A larger edition size, and a relatively quick boom in the secondary market. Nice!

I feel kinda bad for not being a completist on these (missing the Bisley, Kubert and Mignola), but they just didnt speak to me. When am I gonna learn?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #16
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Exactly! A larger edition size, and a relatively quick boom in the secondary market. Nice!

I feel kinda bad for not being a completist on these (missing the Bisley, Kubert and Mignola), but they just didnt speak to me. When am I gonna learn?
they make a great, great, great set

I am in the minority, but I live the bisley one
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I have them all and they look great together.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
snappahead
Producer
Producer

No doubt, this line is the best thing to come out of DCD. Incredible stable of sculptors creating pieces inspired by top comic artists is a real winner. Combine the good price and perfect display size for a line like this and I'm in love. Is there any talk about other characters getting this treatment? A Superman b/w line? Flash? I know they didn't have b/w comic series, but the Batmans are so cool I wouldn't mind seeing other characters get this treatment. That color GL mini statue looks promising. Gil Kane inspired goodness...except for the rod going into his crotch that is.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #19
The Bat
Frackin!

I have them all except the Risso, and they are incredible!!!
I'm most impressed with the fact that they waited this long for a Ross and a Jim Lee.
For any Batman fan, a Ross and a Lee are most, but the fact that they went in another direction, a Risso, a Rude, a Jones, etc, before a Ross and a Lee, reallly shows the caring that goes into the line.
Ross is my favorite Batman artist, and I was crossing my fingers that they would do one, son now I'm stoked. But in general, they've done a great job, even with the price increase.
And for the record, I'm just as stoked for the Pope and Wagner, until the Ross comes along.
Great job all around... sculptors, artists, DC... just a great line. The BEST in my opinion.
The Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #20
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I dont think other heroes would translate as well to the B&W treatment. Batman is just such an iconic and gothic hero that it works like magic.

Superman in B&W would seem drab to me, IMHO.