Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #23091
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Concussion - 8/10. Very disturbing but extremely well made film.
The story of Mike Webster, Steeler great, is a eye opener about the toll the sport takes on a person. It's just a sad and rough story.

I love football. It has always been my favorite sport. But even I know that the cost of my entertainment, and those men's longterm quality of life situations are NOT worth the billions of dollars the NFL makes to keep the game as it was. Measures have to be taken to give players the tools to make educated choices and I still don't think the NFL gives players, or parents/kids growing up playing the game all of the information.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #23092
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The story of Mike Webster, Steeler great, is a eye opener about the toll the sport takes on a person. It's just a sad and rough story.

I love football. It has always been my favorite sport. But even I know that the cost of my entertainment, and those men's longterm quality of life situations are NOT worth the billions of dollars the NFL makes to keep the game as it was. Measures have to be taken to give players the tools to make educated choices and I still don't think the NFL gives players, or parents/kids growing up playing the game all of the information.
Thats why when Calvin Johnson left my Lions, while others were upset, I wss happy for him. Get out with your brain intact, can't be mad at him for that.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #23093
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

1922 - netflix original film

8/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #23094
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Thats why when Calvin Johnson left my Lions, while others were upset, I wss happy for him. Get out with your brain intact, can't be mad at him for that.
Wait....wait....you're a Lions fan?! I'm a Michigander and I'm not even a Lions fan. I want them to do well because it means good things for Detroit, but I just can't. I left them decades ago for the Vikings (I know, not much of an upgrade but I love Cris Carter).

My fiancé is also a Lions fan. He was before I met him. He loved Barry Sander and Calvin Johnson - has both their jerseys. We both respected the reasons that under which Megatron retired. Sad, but smart. I wonder how well players like Rodgers and Romo will fair later on in life.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 PM   #23095
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Wait....wait....you're a Lions fan?! I'm a Michigander and I'm not even a Lions fan. I want them to do well because it means good things for Detroit, but I just can't. I left them decades ago for the Vikings (I know, not much of an upgrade but I love Cris Carter).

My fiancé is also a Lions fan. He was before I met him. He loved Barry Sander and Calvin Johnson - has both their jerseys. We both respected the reasons that under which Megatron retired. Sad, but smart. I wonder how well players like Rodgers and Romo will fair later on in life.
I hope you don't think this is an advance towards you, but your fiance is one lucky SOB. You're into comics, statues, video games.... AND sports? Either he's lucky or I call bullsh!t.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #23096
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The Funhouse - 6.5/10

Fun 80's horror flick. One of Tobe Hooper's best right behind Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist. Some real creepy elements and the setting is pretty great. Probably not as well known as other horror films simply because it came out at a time when the genre was peeking and it got buried amongst a ton of cliched slasher movies. This is a unique film though, which is saying something for this genre, especially back in 1981. Worth a look if you've never seen it.

very underrated and undernoticed horror movie, I watched this while going on an old horror movie binge a couple years back and I remember being pleasantly surprised with how good this movie was compared to the others I watched
Old 11-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #23097
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Friday the 13th - 6.5/10

Started my marathon off with the original. It'd been years since seeing this film and to my surprise it's probably the one I enjoyed the most of the first 4 films. Sure Jason isn't the killer here but the setting and mood are far and away the best of the series and it actually has a nice element of mystery to it with a classic shocking climax.

Friday the 13th Part 2 - 6/10

Pretty decent follow up to the original. Of course the biggest deal here is the introduction of an adult Jason as the unstoppable killer. The return to the camp setting is welcome, something I think hurts the subsequent sequels.

Friday the 13th Part 3 - 4/10

Things start to go off the rails with the third entry. Outside of Jason getting his trademark hockey mask and his supposed death at the end, not much is notable here. It's totally cliche and as one of the first 3D films of the 80's there's an over reliance on gimmicky effects which stick out like a sore thumb.

Friday the 13th The Final Chapter - 5.5/10

I seem to remember liking this one more. Upon revisiting it there are some cool elements with the introduction of Tommy but the supporting cast of clueless oversexed teenagers is downright awful. The setting isn't all that great either as more emphasis should have been placed on the Crystal Lake setting. Instead it's all but an afterthought. Until the showdown with Tommy V Jason at the end it's very by the numbers.

Final Chapter is one of my favorite F13 movies, I just watched it on halloween while carving my predator pumpkin

I'd give it a 7.5/10
Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #23098
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Planet Hulk......er.....Thor Ragnarok 9/10 Really enjoyed the movie, was a lot of fun and action.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #23099
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Thor 3 6-7/10

Based on what I have been hearing I went in expecting an action comedy vs a super-hero movie. And that’s what I got. Action scenes were pretty good. Comedy was a lot of one liners. Liked it better than 2 but not as good as 1.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #23100
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Thor 3- Very entertaining with no seriousness. It was more of a comedy. 7/10

Planet of the Apes 3- A good end to the trilogy 8/10
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote