Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 07-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #171
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Catching up on this thread... did anyone say there is going to be a Hawkgirl? Might be interested in that one...
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #172
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorpoll View Post
I went and put a deposit down through Spec Fiction. I believe in the end it will be a bit cheaper than SS. Also has the ability to spread out payments in case I want to add another purchase.
It was over $40 to ship a relatively light and not very big X-23 box to the east coast. I'm dreading what this is going to run. I was being 'worst case scenario' I thought and figuring about $200, but I honestly don't know what to expect.

I originally had the dual options on order direct with IS with a free shipping coupon. But hearing a few bad customer service stories, I cancelled and shifted over to SS and downgraded to the one set of wings. I'll probably be paying the same amount as I would have for the both wings at IS, but I feel a little more secure with SS's customer service. That's worth something.

Also, depending on if there are delays with this, I may have to shift my delivery time frame. SS sounds like they will be easier to get a hold of and deal with should that need arise.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #173
vorpoll
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
It was over $40 to ship a relatively light and not very big X-23 box to the east coast. I'm dreading what this is going to run. I was being 'worst case scenario' I thought and figuring about $200, but I honestly don't know what to expect.

I originally had the dual options on order direct with IS with a free shipping coupon. But hearing a few bad customer service stories, I cancelled and shifted over to SS and downgraded to the one set of wings. I'll probably be paying the same amount as I would have for the both wings at IS, but I feel a little more secure with SS's customer service. That's worth something.

Also, depending on if there are delays with this, I may have to shift my delivery time frame. SS sounds like they will be easier to get a hold of and deal with should that need arise.
I also had that option with free shipping. I have had other orders with SF so I went with them again. I also like their multiple options in case I get something broken (which i have never had to use yet).
vorpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:30 PM   #174
pdenham
Teen Titans

Here's how I spent part of this lazy Sunday afternoon...

obviously I had to guesstimate some proportions, but I think I got the main boundary points, and elements like the circumference of the base, pretty close.

It tops out, at that little piece triangle of board on the right side- right at 41" and width with the open flaps is 22".
Depth-wise I'm off by 3" at 26", but as long as I'm not underestimating I'll be good. It's going to be massive, no doubt about it.

One oddity I noticed about the height-
in the solicit photos they show the staff extending quite a ways past the topmost edge of the wings- Proportionally it looks like 7" of the 41" total height.
In the con set up, however, the top blade of the staff is very close to his hand, and the the tip doesn't extend all that far above the wing edges- maybe 3"-4" inches tops.
The difference seems to be where the staff is resting- either in the deep space between the center segment of the base and the outer circular segment (as at the con), or resting higher on the rim of that circular segment (in the prototype photos).
If that staff angle is adjustable, that extra 3"-4" I could shave off would help a lot.
As it was, I figured I'd be fashioning my own shorter one anyway.

Also, studying the photos more closely, it looks like the base may break down into three sections. That would make it possible to seriously compact this for the shipping boxes.

This is the space I was hoping to use. The surface top there is 24" deep by 22.75" wide. pretty much spot on for Mr. Hol.
The only problem is the pitched side wall.

I've had everything from the Galactus maquette to the Wolverine Legendary scale in this spot and they've all fit just fine. I'll probably need to pull the cabinet out about 6" at least to get enough space in back. Not really crazy about that as it's going to be breathing down my neck as I sit here at the computer. Unfortunately my options in this room are limited, and everything in here now- bookcases, etc fits just about perfectly where they are.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #175
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

That's a valiant effort to approximate the dimensions of this piece, pdenham. I can definitely see where the pitched wall could present a problem. Hopefully you can make it work and are able to add this piece in your display.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:12 AM   #176
pdenham
Teen Titans

Thanks.

Yeah, I would really hate to have to cancel this.

When I ordered it I was thinking "screw it" I'll find a way to make it fit somewhere. Having this construct now will help me get a better handle on that.

Do you have a comfortable spot ready for yours, or are do you have to do some re-arranging too?
Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #177
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

I am rearranging my collection room so I plan to make room for it. I really don't want to put in an area where it looks jammed in so I am coming up with a plan that will hopefully work.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #178
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

This is going to be a really special piece. Probably THE only Hawkman that will get made in a larger scale. Looking forward to seeing it in hand.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #179
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
I am rearranging my collection room so I plan to make room for it. I really don't want to put in an area where it looks jammed in so I am coming up with a plan that will hopefully work.
Yeah. Something like this demands room to breathe. You should also have ready viewing access to at least three sides.

Shoving it into the corner would be a very unsatisfying, and strictly temp, solution.
I have a couple other options, but everything is a trade off.

The option with the least amount of inconvenience would be to just let it go. I know that other stuff will come along in time that would captivate me just as much- but I can't shake what a ridiculous $ value this piece is at the moment. Compare the price to what Sideshow is asking for Juggernaut. Then imagine, three or four years from now, what Sideshow, or anyone else for that matter, would be charging for something like this.

Not to mention how close anyone else could ever come to equaling or bettering the basic art design for this particular character.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #180
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Yeah. Something like this demands room to breathe. You should also have ready viewing access to at least three sides.

Shoving it into the corner would be a very unsatisfying, and strictly temp, solution.
I have a couple other options, but everything is a trade off.

The option with the least amount of inconvenience would be to just let it go. I know that other stuff will come along in time that would captivate me just as much- but I can't shake what a ridiculous $ value this piece is at the moment. Compare the price to what Sideshow is asking for Juggernaut. Then imagine, three or four years from now, what Sideshow, or anyone else for that matter, would be charging for something like this.

Not to mention how close anyone else could ever come to equaling or bettering the basic art design for this particular character.
I feel the same way about this piece. It definitely is a tremendous value and we probably won't see anything quite like it for a very long time. It is a very special piece and I will do my level best to keep my order and make it a part of my collection.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are ultimately able to add it to your collection as well.