Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Boxes

So I have hundreds of statue boxes (plus maybe 20 dupe statues) in a storage unit that's costing me almost $300/month. I don't plan on selling any statues, but I may have to move them for a renovation at some point.
I hate to do it, but I think I have to toss the boxes - unless anyone has any other ideas?
btw, if anyone is in the L.A. area and wants to peruse my storage unit for your own needs, you're welcome to do so.
How do other people manage their boxes?
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Definitely keep the boxes.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
Augen
Metal Men

Depending on your situation have space within the house or an exterior unit to store them. If you're paying $300 a month may see how expensive building one would be. Even $6000 would pay for itself in two years.

If space is at an absolute premium then can pitch them and only ever expect to sell a piece in person and at a reduced rate. Also, moving will be a massive headache without the boxes.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
MegatronG1
The X-Men

I'd ditch the storage unit, keep boxes of only the most fragile or rare items. For the rest, buy rolls of bubble wrap, and use generous amounts on each item when moving.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Use them to add R value to your attic.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
wrlord
Fantastic Four

Thank for the input, guys. Mulling over how i can creatively use space in the house - don't really have an attic and our garage is small, but we are talking about rebuilding it....
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Use them to ad R value to your attic.
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
How do other people manage their boxes?
Welcome to the double edge sword of this hobby. Me personally I’d find a way to keep the boxes. If you plan on keeping and not reselling I’d still keep them because you never know down the road. I refuse to buy incomplete aftermarket statues ocd or not. This was a big problem for me as well. I store my boxes in my basement then they started to trickle into the garage. The past few months I've been selling some stuff off to rein in my collection and spending being a newer collector falling into all the pit falls from this hobby. I’d like to get a pod or storage unit but I’d be afraid the pod would get hot and musty in the summer and can’t justify $300 a month to store cardboard and styrofoam.
eternalblue02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
grphyx1
Kingpin

That is pretty rough. Is this the cheapest storage space you can find? I totally feel your pain.

I have a lot of storage space in my home but it's pretty close to being tapped out. You should start by parting with your dupes, then see which one is worthy of keeping the box. in a few years no one will care about these things. Millenials won't want statues.
grphyx1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #9
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
That is pretty rough. Is this the cheapest storage space you can find? I totally feel your pain.

I have a lot of storage space in my home but it's pretty close to being tapped out. You should start by parting with your dupes, then see which one is worthy of keeping the box. in a few years no one will care about these things. Millenials won't want statues.
I'd guess millenials (22-37) make a significant portion of consumer base. Lot of collectors on YouTube are millenials. The next generation coming up I have no idea, but the market as a whole is small for high end nerd collectibles.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #10
grphyx1
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'd guess millenials (22-37) make a significant portion of consumer base. Lot of collectors on YouTube are millenials. The next generation coming up I have no idea, but the market as a whole is small for high end nerd collectibles.
37 is classified as a millennial? I guess I should've said future generation. You're correct a bunch in young ones do collect
grphyx1 is online now   Reply With Quote