Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prototypez

Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #1461
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I see your point, but the release order would test the potenial of the line and mix the sales. For example, if you start with a Ryu and Akuma, as they have done, people bought and they are very satisfied as you mentioned and they should, they may now be inclined to buy a Sagat or Dalshim, becaue they would feel that this is for real, that they are going beyond the A players and to support the cause. What i try to say is FOR ME, not having them all is not possible, as the most iconics for me are Sagat and Bison and there is really not representations out there. Just stop to think, even from a market perspective, where can you find a 1/6 Fei long? Zangief? People who love SF would need to buy this or cry. I see your point about how difficult it is to have a complete line released, but if it is so , please do not advertise likewise. The thing is that so far we have had just two characters, Ken is delayed, but will be release soon. I hope that I am wrong and they release all
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #1462
MegatronG1
The X-Men

It would be easier if he dropped the bust and extras, save a few cents on the fancy boxes, and focused only on 1/6 scale with three releases every quarter. Also, more marketing. Most people don't even know who PCS is, much less Prototypez. PCS has done a lot to hurt the perception of SF statues, that I'd wager that it will affect other statue makers in some indirect way.

And then competitive players of SF don't even collect.

BBTS slashed the price on Akuma a few weeks back. That should say enough for the health of the line.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #1463
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I agree with you, but unfortunately people usually do not go back in quality. Now people are used to those extras, bust and fancy box. Perhaps offer a simpler ver and a special would be the way out. From the marketing perspective, YES, they need to do something about, because a lot of people do not know them
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #1464
BobHarris
Doh!

Ah I see what you mean Balthazar. You feel you have to keep buying to support the cause and get to the characters that you prefer.. even though you may never will. I really hope for you and other likeminded people that they will get there. But if BBTS slashed the prices because they couldn't sell Akuma, then I fear what will happen to less popular characters. Would be a shame if this PRototypez line doesn't get the recognition it deserves..I prefer Ericks interpretation way over PCS's.

Also you are right some characters never seem to get much attention, statue wise. I don't think a Dudley or Hugo even exists on pretty much any scale..even though they are both great and iconic for SFIII.

But what I'm saying is a manufacturer may have good intentions when announcing a full line, but lots of things can happen down the road that forces them to stop. But for now it's only speculation. I really don't think there is much to worry about at this point.

Marketing may help boost the sales but I also think this is a very niche market. So you would have to spend a lot of money on marketing, targeting a vast amount of people to reach the few with an interest in this hobby of ours.
Most people don't care for figures and if they do, then they don't want to spend more than +- $50. I live in the Netherlands so for anyone outside of the States like me, things get expensive quickly. I payed $390 for Akuma, $145 on shipping and $120 on customs. I mean one could buy a Playstation 4 pro and some games for that kind of money. I think it's totally worth it, but there are very few like me.
BobHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #1465
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I think normally a line like this would be in trouble but PrototypeZ is a super small company of what 3 people? Thats low overhead, plus all sculpting is done in house. The licensing cost is the only issue from what I can see. Plus correct me if I’m wrong they all have other jobs too- theyre not completely depending on this.

The line may or may not last but I dont think it can be measured by the same requirements as other companies.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #1466
GrabberOrange
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Wow BBTS had quite the discount, I would have been tempted to double up at that price. I believe this line will complete, but as a safety net for completest I would like the release to go in order of the series at least. SFII original cast (down to 7), SFII Championship bosses (4), Super SFII Turbo (down to 4). Or at minimum release the new challengers last...
GrabberOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #1467
ovirfo
Fantastic Four

A good way to finish would be to do as XM. Take out a final prototype and announce a preorder period. And just make a number close to the orders. You avoid losses and they are more exclusive.
ovirfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 AM   #1468
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
It would be easier if he dropped the bust and extras, save a few cents on the fancy boxes, and focused only on 1/6 scale with three releases every quarter. Also, more marketing. Most people don't even know who PCS is, much less Prototypez. PCS has done a lot to hurt the perception of SF statues, that I'd wager that it will affect other statue makers in some indirect way.

And then competitive players of SF don't even collect.

BBTS slashed the price on Akuma a few weeks back. That should say enough for the health of the line.
Boxes are not fancy they are for endurance during shipping. It’s a black box with a picture

I will support Eric and company those that have these in hands know the quality is there and extras are different enough for it to warrent the price. Unlike a head with just a serious and screaming portrait offered by other companies.

It’s a niche market and it will be hard to sell in this age Eric knows this and is planning accordingly for the future of this line. Damn shame these weren’t announced 5 years ago.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote