Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Rocket
Art of Mod

How do you solve a problem like the X-Men?

So many of you are aware that while I read many comics from multiple companies, Marvel is predominantly where it's at for me, and the X-Men have always been my first love.

Now it kills me to see that they no longer seem to get the quality attention they deserve. The cold hard fact is, they need a shot in the arm right now. I think Fraction is doing just fine and Uncanny has been a great read for quite a while, and some of the crossovers in recent years have been brilliant, especially Second Coming.

X-Force and X-Factor have also been quality reads, I think there is just core book that is hurting the team. X-Men:Legacy. It pains me to say this because Mike Carey's run on Lucifer, and his current run on The Unwritten is nothing less than amazing, but when it comes to the X-Men, he's gotta go. I see the ads for the net big "event" in the X-verse,

and I am worried. Gambit is holding a gun? WTF?!?! I'm assuming this is almost ann Age of Apocalypse type storyline (it damn well BETTER be, I mean LOOK AT WARPATH?!!?!) but still.......

Carey has had YEARS to do something with the book, and IMO he has failed miserably. It seems like when the book first took the subheading "Legacy" he was either under instruction, or made the decision to turn it into a nostalgic rehash of past events in X history. The problem was, he simply retold stories we'd all read before!!?!?

When he began his recent arc with Rogue taking some of the younger mutants out to discover the world and search for the five mutant spikes I thought maybe he'd be onto something fresh, and he started very well in India, but Magneto and Rogue have been done to death and he hasn't captured the reader with these new characters the way Kyle and Yost did with theirs not so long ago.

I have come to the conclusion that his themes and style of writing just isn't suited to an A list book.

SO

How do you solve a problem like the X-Men?

Well on this occasion, I believe the answer is in the title. Legacy.

If we look at what has been occurring in the X-verse for the last few years the glaring theme is offense. Cyclops has become a proactive leader, who attacks first, talks second. He has grown from a timid, skinny young boy to a take no prisoners General and it has resulted in an interesting time for the team. The formation of what was\is essentially a team of killers in X-Force, is the greatest example of his new attitude, but there have been many examples in recent time.

I think that it's time for that character progression to take the next step. I think Cyclops needs to become the X Men's greatest villain. Not just for one story arc. Not just for a year or two. Forever. He needs to be made into a bigger threat than Magneto ever was. There are so many ways this could be done, so many avenues to take it but in the pursuit of great storylines I think it needs to happen.

The easiest way to do it at this point would be for a) the rest of the X-Men to find out about X-Force (some already know) causing a fracture in the team that sees many leave and Cyclops turn Utopia into a ramped up brotherhood of evil mutants (but much like Magneto, Scott thinks he is doing what's best for his people).

Scott's hardline approach taken to the next level will make him a borderline villain by default and it already seems like the next logical step of his development. I think his edgier persona started around the time of Jean's last death so maybe write that into his decline, I just want to see them do it and have the guts to keep it that way. If you go back and look at some other comic history you'll see it is actually a common theme. We have Sinestro leaving the GLC to become a zealot, Magneto and Xavier starting out with the best of intentions, even Richards and Doom were childhood friends (sort of). To see Scott take Xavier's dream and twist it further than Magneto ever could, to take everything he ever learned as a hero, the master tactician he's become, and have it used against the X Men, would bring readers back to the fold I think, and open up the window for so many stories.

Which side would Wolverine fall on? Would Alex and the Starjammers return to stop his brother? Who steps up to lead the "good" X-Men? Are they on the run? It goes on and on.

I don't think Carey is the best to handle this. I think it would need to be a grittier writer, but also someone with chops.

Ennis? TOO gritty
Remender? Maybe?
Brian K Vaughan if he can be lured back to comics on a larger scale?
But really, I think Jason Aaron is the man here. He'd do it in a way the would suit the dark future the X-Men would be faced with.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this and if you managed to read all of this and not switch off, a) you deserve a medal and b) thankyou, I would love to hear your thoughts.

The X-men need, no DESERVE, better than what they are getting on Legacy right now, I'd love to hear what others think.

Last edited by Rocket; 11-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

I wish Marvel would just "strip it" and present a self-contained, followable, managable team. Sure, all the dozens of mutants could still exist and be out there somewhere, but back-burner them. I'd like to see a 10 mutant team, made up mostly of the strong recognizable members doing what they do in the MU.
If you're a member of the X-Men, then that's the only team your on.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

You know Rod, I really like the idea of getting Scott to the edge of the abyss, and having him throw himself into it headfirst. I don't see Marvel doing it though, I see them pushing him closer and closer, but I now right when he gets to the end he'll be pulled back. I'll even go one further, they'll let him jump into the abyss, but only if he's tied to a bungee cord.
I like the Sinestro comparison, but the only difference is that we hadn't spent 40 some years with Sinestro as a lantern. It's easier to buy it, when you've just been told what a great lantern he was, but you haven't actually been around for the whole ride from being the greatest lantern to being the lantern's greatest enemy. I mean look at Hal Jordan, that's actually a better comparison to what you're proposing, and as you said, they didn't have the guts to keep it that way. The one thing I would do differently with Scott versus Hal, is that I would turn him slowly, and over the years build him into the villain you propose. He's already headed in that direction, for all we know that's in the cards. The problem is that they build them up too big too fast, and then it's over. Next thing you know, we're working on Cyclops: Rebirth.

I think protector is closer to what the "real" solution is to "fix" the X-Men, and that is... focus. It seemed like that's where they were headed after House of M. That was their "out" for getting around the millions of mutants that existed at the time. I think it's ok for there to be other teams made up of mutants, but there should only be ONE X-Men. One team to focus on. I think that's hard to do, Marvel loves having families of books, just look at how many Avengers books there are now. Astonishing X-Men was great for that reason, it was like back in the 80's when there was only one X-Men book.

I don't know what the best answer is, but I agree that something is needed. X-Men have been great in bits and pieces, but not as a whole. I think there are just too many ingredients in the stew.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I like that Idea of Cyclops becoming a Terrorist to man kind. I think during the years Scott has become much darker, and Xavier would have been ashamed of his actions
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

The problem is the X-Men has just gotten so big and confusing, it is hard to know what past continuity to use. The are a victim of their own earlier success.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
Rocket
Art of Mod

I agree guys, it would be great to strip back the X-Men to a core team (and just two "Men" titles, X-Factor and New Mutants are essentially their own beasts anyway) but greed will never allow that to happen.....although I notice the worm seems to have finally turned on Deadpool? Two more of his books are being wrapped up shortly....

As for Cyke going to the "dark side" I know that it's the natural progression of the current storyline, just as much as I know he'll come out at the back end wanting to redeem himself as a hero again. I still say screw that.

You're right about part of what made Astonishing great too Tony, that self contained world was perfect.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I agree with Marvelito, and the entire line of thinking in this thread!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Well if that picture indicates who will be in the team, their first mistake was adding that lame character Cable to the team. LOL.

Xmen has been broken for far to long. There's way too much damage done already to try to fix it. I always use to say they need to have Prof X wake up from a dream and have the team walk in and its what's wrong and show that the past 15 years of xmen was just a nightmare he was having.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

I think there should be a "Days of Future Past" type of beginning for the XMen, called "The End of All Things". in this arc (which would really be a perma-change) we'd see:

XForce outed to the world, and connections made to cyclops
XMen become outlaws again
Something "Civil War" like happens to create a crisis (not sure what since it's been used twice already 1)to start CW with Nitro blowing up some kids 2) when Volstagg fried all those people in that stadium. Maybe it can just be a law. Mutants resist, blood gets spilled there's your mutant registration act.
Relaunch the Sentinels
Kill a bunch of mutants and make it stick. Remember that grave yard in Claremont's DOFP? Start making one
Now Scott has the motivation to become even darker as friends and allies are filling up graves; finds uneasy alliances with Apoc and Magneto
XMen are forced into hiding; Wolverine is off the Avengers
Where does Steve Rogers fit into all this? Don't know
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Yeah and everyone in that picture above? I'd say 50% of them die