Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Wizard
A day without sunshine is like... night.

1/6 > 1/4?

Three years ago, I went to Awesome Con - an annual Washington, DC event of comic books, writers, artists, actors, actresses and a plethora of merch to desire and purchase. It was there that I laid eyes on Sideshow's one-quarter PF Batman in mixed media. It was truly a thing of pure geek awesomeness. I wanted it, until I saw the price - $400.

Today, I sigh remembering how I thought that price was ridiculously high. However, with the statue bug taking a big chunk of my flesh that day, I proceeded to dive willingly into the statue collecting pool.

For the most part I bypassed anything that wasn't one-quarter. The Sideshow website became my site to visit everyday. I was one of those who became infatuated with a new upstart company called, "XM Studios," just missing out by a few months on snagging its centerpiece - Magneto.

Fast forward today, and I find myself at a potential crossroads, but I don't know whether it's due to dwindling display space or rising statue prices...or maybe a combination of both.

I'm now paying more attention to the one-sixth pieces than I've ever had before. Yeah, I've picked up some great one-sixth Kotobukiya pieces, but I still coveted one-quarter. The presence of a great one-quarter captivates me to the point that I just stand and stare for a solid few minutes admiring the workmanship.

Yet, my display space has dwindled.

Yet, my "okay" with spending more money on one-quarters has dwindled. The most I have spent on a one-quarter was XM Studios Thanos, which cost me just over $1K (w/shipping). I love the piece, but I would not spend anywhere near $1K on another statue regardless of size.

Yes, Prime 1, Sideshow, XM Studios, and others continue to put out worthy one-quarter and larger statues, but I'm not realistically considering any of them unless it's sub $600, which is becoming less and less a possibility.

The contradiction of this I have going on is whether I would find someway to justify spending $600+ if I had enough space (and don't get me started on retaining the boxes).

Yet, my attention drifts towards one-sixth statues. I just discovered Tweeterhead! XM Studios is soon to start a one-sixth world wide license.

I'm excited about this, but I will be less excited if I'm paying two years ago, one-quarter prices for current one-sixth statues.

Time will tell, but I easily envision myself buying a couple more IKEA detolfs to display some new one-sixth pieces.

So, what of you - are you a one-quarter fanboy or fangirl whose eyes have begun to drift toward one-sixth statues? Do you no longer consider one-sixth statues the ugly step-child to one-quarters? Or price be damned, you will only collect one-quarter statues?
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #2
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Some 1/6 are awesome, but generally 1/6 just isnt as impressive and attention grabbing as 1/4. 1/6 and 1/8 I have, and while they take up less room they have a tendancy to make the area look more cluttered. 1/6 is good, 1/4 is best imo.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

Started 11 years ago and collected 1/4 and some GG statues and maquetts. GG stopped making Star Wars maquettes and Star Wars statues way to expensive now from them They were $100.00 when I started now $300.00. Premium Formats the same just getting to expensive. I am picking up the G.I. Joes I want from P1 and a few Robotechs and Imaginarium Art Transformers and getting out of collecting.
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
SAB380
The X-Men

Same situation.
1/6 i find too small but 1/5 scale is a nice compromise, less cost and less space while still feeling significant.
SAB380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
Mister H
Green Goblin

Depends on the sculpt. I have 1/6, 1/4 and 1/3.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #6
Swordsman
Death is hereditary.

depends on the base..i tend to find a number of the base for 1/4 statues is simply oversized, taking up unnecessary space and weight
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Choopie
Birdman

I started out in 1/6 with a quite sizable SS/Weta LOTR collection. Then I made with move to 1/4 with Lurtz, sold the 1/6 pieces and haven't looked back. 1/3 is just way too big for my display space. I have a few 1/5 but 1/4 is what I like best. The prices are the issue though. 1/4 scale prices are getting out of hand and I can't see the justification in paying 1/4 scale prices of old on 1/5 or 1/6 and taking a hit on size. Like a few here have mentioned, I'm on my way out of collecting. But if 1/4 scale would have stabilized in the $400 to $500 mark I would have been content in sticking with it.
Choopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

We can also throw in shipping has more than tripled. Then resale values are a joke now. I could justify buying piece and resale them
when I needed money and room, these day lose half what you
paid. Then to ship cost $50.00 on up, I use to ship a 1/4 coast to coast for $15.00 to $20.00
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I would say 1/6 is superior yeah. My favorite scale is 1/7 though. It is big enough to fully enjoy, but also not so big that you get the ridiculous prices and difficult spacing issues.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
SONICobra
Batman

sounds like your already priced out of 1/4 scale

if I weren't so heavily invested in 1/4 scale I would probably just go with 1/6 scale, tweeterhead is putting out some amazing stuff. track down some bowens for an awesome marvel display, prototypez also has a 1/6 scale marvel license
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote