Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #591
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Communication and truthful communication are two different things, though...
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #592
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmauney View Post
Communication and truthful communication are two different things, though...
Speak on it mauney! Speak on it!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #593
bnmauney

Ah, to hell with it, this has bothered me for long enough, so I'm just going to lay all the cards out on the table.

So, I've known Jaime, at least somewhat personally, for a long time. I wouldn't say that we've ever been friends, but definitely acquaintances. We both live in the same small town in Western North Carolina, where everyone knows everyone, and we've had a number of mutual friends, and travelled in some of the same social circles, over the years. I've even travelled to a few cons with him and some of our mutual friends back in the early '00s. Granted, I haven't personally spoken to Jaime in maybe ten years or so, but I have seen him around town numerous times. So, yeah, I know Jaime.

I'm not speaking as someone who's had any sort of business dealings with him whatsoever, and I certainly don't have any axes to grind. As a matter of fact, while I've always felt that Jaime was talented, I've never really been a huge fan of his art. It's not something that ever appealed to me, in the same way that I've never really been a Todd MacFarlane fan.

So, all that backstory out of the way, several years back when I first started lurking on these forums, before I ever even signed up or posted, I was a little amused to see that Jaime had been trying to set himself up online as a commission artist. But, I figured, good for him if he was finally doing something with his talent. Then, I started reading threads such as this one where people were commenting on his lateness and excuses. My first thought was that it was pretty much par for the course. Whatever, it wasn't really my business.

However, when I saw his posts concerning all of the various "catastrophes" that had occurred in his life, well, that almost broke me there. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that many of them simply weren't true. Out of curiosity, I'd even attempted to verify some of the things that he was claiming, because I thought that they were so outlandish, and never could. I mean, if even some of these things were even remotely true, then someone would've heard something. Remember, small town and all that. Yet, I chose to keep my mouth shut because I wasn't really involved.

And, honestly, this has always bothered me. I think that there's a lot of good folk in the comic art collecting community, and especially on these forums, and I love being a part of them in my own small way. I've been ripped off and lied to by some artists in the past, and I really hate to see it happen to others. Especially when it's being perpetrated by someone I know. I can't help but think that if I'd spoken up earlier that maybe it would've saved someone at least a little bit of a headache.

So, why am I going on about it all now? Well, simply put, Jaime had been off the radar for awhile and I was hoping that maybe he'd cleaned up his act. Truthfully, that still may be the case, I don't know. What I do know is that I'd just like for others to know exactly what they're getting into and what type of person that they're dealing with when they do business with him. As most all of us know, it's up to each of us to weigh the risks vs. rewards in this hobby. Personally, I just like to have as much information as possible when making such decisions.

OK, time to step off the ol' .
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 PM   #594
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

interesting post. thanks for sharing.

I would say that my year and a half ride on this line was filled with some of the strangest and most inconsistent excuses I've experienced in my commission collecting and ended with no art in the end. supposedly my commission was completed but went to the shredder since he didn't like the outcome (this after having been lost in a flood, buried in a basement, then an attic, and possibly eaten by a wolf [all except the wolf were actual excuses given to me]).

talented artist for sure but I wouldn't put any money upfront for a non finished piece.

biggs did offer to make things square with me after the fact - I told him sure as long as I didn't have to put any money upfront. never heard from him again...
Old 09-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #595
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Save yourself some head aches and just buy from his eBay sales.
He has a 100% feedback rating on ebay lol
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #596
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Reading through this entire thread was a hell of a ride.

Sounds like Mr. Biggs has some form of curse on him.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #597
Lucky Baru

What is described in this thread was not my experience with Jamie. He finished 2 commissions in 8 weeks for me. He communicated the entire time, answered my questions, and explained why he missed his second deadline with me. It should be noted that he missed that deadline by three days a he was sick.

I can't speak for other people's experience with him, but I was pleased with the entire process and like the 2 commissions he finished for me.
Lucky Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #598
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

I just got a commission spot reserved yesterday and he said I was looking into mid January for completion. I feel good about this one . I did half deposit up front but through PayPal goods and services which he was fine with. Once I get this deal done I’m hoping to get another done and cap it there. It’s as close to McFarlane as I’ll ever get in original art form.
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #599
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Just get his ebay pieces. Not worth the hassle for a commish imo
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #600
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby1938 View Post
I just got a commission spot reserved yesterday and he said I was looking into mid January for completion. I feel good about this one . I did half deposit up front but through PayPal goods and services which he was fine with. Once I get this deal done I’m hoping to get another done and cap it there. It’s as close to McFarlane as I’ll ever get in original art form.
Can you share his pricing?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote