Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 05-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #1711
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I think they are popular because they are putting art back in movie posters. Especially for people who like old style movie posters and borderline hate the newer stuff. Even though these aren't the official advertisements they are at times better or complement the original. The Tyler Stout Avengers poster is better than what the studio is using to me. But the average modern movie goer if they even look at the poster probably would prefer the photoshop thing.
I don't know about that; the studio Avengers posters are pretty universally seen as pedestrian and common place by "the average modern movie goer". The reason the studio's go the photoshop route is to showcase the actors in the film and draw in the more casual audiences; the people who go to the movies and look at the posters and trailers in the lobby to decide what to see. That is the reason that none of the big actors have their masks on in the studio posters.

Conversely I will give Nolan/WB credit as the posters surrounding his Batman franchise, though as numerous as the stars, are very well done for the most part and do have a lot of artistic merit to them. Especially the Batman Begins ones. Even the teaser posters for TDKR are very thought provoking as were the "Why so Serious?" ones.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #1712
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
In the recent interview, Mondo talks about how they want fans to get the posters but also keep them collectible. In other words, basically avoid an X-Men #1 situation where the comic is worthless because of the number printed. But the large majority of items don't hold their value. For a long time Mondo couldn't give away their Gremlins 2 poster.
I would argue that here is where business and collectability is trumping the art and the fanbase. Why not let as many people who want the art to admire and appreciate it acquire it? I have more Mondo posters than I can display but I will happily have them be worth retail so long as I can get newer ones that appeal to me without the heartache.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #1713
dr_teng

It's the same reason Sideshow doesn't have absurdly high edition sizes, or any other statue company that keeps things collectible (see : Hot Toys), same with tons of other collectibles companies. They try to balance things between keeping it collectible and where it'll generate the most profit. If they make them common, tons of collectors will drop out simply because they're common (see : any talk about edition sizes on these forums) and Mondo will be left with huge amounts of unsold stock, whereas now, they're very rarely left with any stock.

Also, the memes artwork is up at 1988 now, I grabbed the Tom Whalen Thor, which I thought was hilarious (double rainbow!)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #1714
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

To your point though Doc doesn't Hot Toys just do a run of a product? As long as you get while the getting is good and pre-order a piece at or near release you can get one. Once the pre-order and release window is closed those products, which have no set ES save very very few exceptions, skyrocket in value.

Olly Moss has used this tactic in the past with an open order window that has an ES set AFTER customers submit their orders. Despite this those Moss pieces appreciated very nicely. There will always be those that passed for one reason or another or who are new to the hobby; therefore in a situation like this there is room for appreciation.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #1715
dr_teng

It depends, retailers DO sell out of Hot Toys pre-orders (BBTS is out of at least Hawkeye, perhaps they will be allotted more later) which means they do limit numbers prior to release. This happened with the Tron bike and Tumbler as well, though the Tron bike opened up for more orders (which makes sense, as it was delayed over a year).

I've actually got one of the two Olly Moss open ES releases that I'm aware of (Double Ghost + Pokemon) and neither of those have went up in value afaik, outside of the rare variants. Perhaps he's done another one I'm not aware of though.

There are certainly other options they can try, like the Moss one above, but something that works for one artist every six months or so on small releases doesn't sound like a sound reason to change over an apparently incredibly successful business model, you know? It'd be a good idea for them to try something new to ease frustrations though.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #1716
FROBAY
Phoenix

Gallery 1988 started cancelling orders today. Mainly if you ordered more than 1 print of a certain title
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #1717
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-c...s-summer-of-82

"The poster by Jason Edmiston will be available in either a regular version (the one with the green fire) for $45, or in the variant version with the red fire, which goes for $85. There are only 320 being printed of the regular version and 100 of the variants, all of them measuring 24 x 36". The poster will be sold at the screenings on May 11th, and while the 7:00 PM show is sold out, there are still tickets available for the 10:30 PM show."

Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1718
Awesome
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Looks like a lot of people are disappointed now.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1719
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Yeah all were hoping it to be by Ansin.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #1720
FROBAY
Phoenix

Fvck YOU MONDO with your crap edition sizes, This is just sad for the Mondo Collector - real sad. Im through with them.

What will they have about 15 variants to put online after the shows.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote