Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #601
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Allegience 7/10. Canceled by NBC after eight episodes but I found it quite enjoyable. I believe the final episodes will be released on line so at least we will see a conclusion. A poor cousin of The Americans though.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #602
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Comic Book Men - Season 4

More of the same and that's fine with me. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #603
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Constantine S1 - 6/10

High points - Matt Ryan is perfect in the title role. Production value is excellent.

Low points - suffers from being a bit too procedural with the demon of the week narratives. Supporting characters aren't very interesting.

Bottom line - Tons of potential. Adapt more of the stories from the comics. Have Constantine dealing with real world evils like serial killers in addition to demons. Improve the supporting cast.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #604
protector2814
Phoenix

The Slap (American version) - 7/10. Great premise, &, up 'til the final episode of 8, great execution. In this age of "no discipline" parenting, of which I've witnessed plenty of 1st hand in my neighborhood, The Slap deals head on with this modern situation in the aftermath of a fed-up father taking the disciplining of another's child into his own hands. Modern Spock's Zachary Quinto plays the slapper. While at a cousin's barbeque, a completely out-of-control, coddled & spoiled brat of a child starts swinging a baseball bat at other children after being told that he's struck out. His parents have been boozing and are not paying attention so another (high-strung) dad attempts to handle the situation. He takes the bat from the kid, who then kicks him hard in the shin. The man overreacts and slaps the kid across the face. Lots of other stuff going on at the barbeque and the 8 episode series breaks the outside action down weekly by character in the filling of The Slap's backstory, ending in trial. I had high-hopes for this series and it's attempt to magnify modern parenting .. but it falls apart in the final episode and completely cops out in ultimately not pointing any fingers. Starts w/ a bang but ends w/ a whimper.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #605
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Grey's Anatomy: S2 ~ 4/5

Definitely enjoyed this much more than the somewhat unfocused episodes (and the abrupt ending) of season 1. The larger storyline (Izzie/Denny) that took place over the majority of the season was very well done and finished the season on a slight cliffhanger ensuring you at least tune into season 3 to truly see the conclusion.

I still can't stand Ellen Pompeo (as an actress), but at least she seemingly toned down the frequency of her 'pouty faces'. Still have a feeling though that I'll be doing plenty of eye-rolling in her direction at her 'drama' in the later seasons.

My wife wants to keep going...so we will
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #606
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I have never watched this, mostly because of other shows, but for a show to last 10 years, it obviously is popular with a lot of folk. Will probably try to watch it at some point.
just a side note on How I Met Your Mother...
I got about mid-way into season 2 before it lost me. It was always somewhat watchable, but it just never had those 'laugh out loud' moments for me that I look for when viewing a comedy sitcom. I can still watch a few of my favourite sitcoms (King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, etc.) and get legitimate laughs from them despite repeated viewings. I just don't find most 'modern' comedies funny for whatever reason (likely boils down to the characters themselves being largely uninteresting to me).
Its still likely a show I'll throw on every now and then when I want background noise, but it definitely isn't something that I'm eagerly awaiting to see the conclusion (how he met the mother).
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #607
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Zen 8/10. A three episode show from BBC about an Italian detective. Pity it was not renewed.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #608
risingstar
Jedi Order

Homeland S1 - 7.5/10

Not quite as intense as 24 but good. It's a shame that Claire Danes isn't as fine as actor as her co-stars. Thankfully, the writing is quite good so it makes up for her. Mandy Patinkon, Damian Lewis, and David Marciano put on a good show.

We're midway S2 and the writing is actually improving...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #609
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Claire Danes is amazing in this show. Not sure why you think she is weak. The show is really improving season on season.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #610
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Claire Danes is amazing in this show. Not sure why you think she is weak. The show is really improving season on season.

When it's just the standard method acting, she's fine. However, as I sometimes work with people who are bipolar, I felt her manic phases on the show sometimes looked really forced and at times didn't ring true. There's a difference between looking unwell, unstable, and insane. While I realize film and TV is often about showing extremes, it still has to make sense. They could have handled this area with a bit more subtlety and grace instead of it being so in-your-face. Mental illness is really difficult to pull off. Very few actors can do it well. So far, at least in this mental illness regard, I found Claire Dane's acting to be average. It was fine overall - but there was room for improvement in this area. JMO.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote