Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #21851
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don't see why kids can't enjoy Rogue One as much as adults. Sure it's a dark episode by comparison but so was Empire back in 1980. I was 8 years old when that came out, saw it theatrically and it's been my favorite film ever since. I plan on taking my Niece and Nephew (ages 5 & 7) to see Rogue One next week. They're huge fans of the animated series Rebels and I have no doubt they'll love this entry. There isn't anything in this film they can't handle.

Now I admittedly took some issue with TFA but it wasn't so much it's more lighthearted tone as it was it's lack of originality. Despite it's shortcomings I still enjoyed it very much. I'd hate to see a concious decision being made by Disney to make one group of films for the younger audience and the other for mature audiences. Just make good SW films, tell great stories and expand the scope of the SW Universe in a creative manner.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #21852
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
These conversations got nowhere this time last year. I'll spare us all and just acknowledge those are your opinions. Just wish more could enjoy everything Disney is doing with the Star Wars franchise. They're 2 for 2 in my book. Bring on the next film.
These are our opinions? Well I'm glad you're here to tell us these things!! (see what I did there )

All I meant was, TFA was in line with the other Star Wars films to date, more kid friendly with the action and storyline. Rogue One was meant more for the adults who grew up with Star Wars, so it introduced a darker tone and more serious storyline (along with some good fan service).
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #21853
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
These are our opinions? Well I'm glad you're here to tell us these things!! (see what I did there )

All I meant was, TFA was in line with the other Star Wars films to date, more kid friendly with the action and storyline. Rogue One was meant more for the adults who grew up with Star Wars, so it introduced a darker tone and more serious storyline (along with some good fan service).
Oh is that what you meant by more "mature"? Good thing you explained the word's definition (see what I did there? ).

I think we established a while back you and I can do this all day. I was simply trying to avoid going down that road with my previous post. My views on Star Wars don't align with yours. Simple as that.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #21854
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I don't see why kids can't enjoy Rogue One as much as adults. Sure it's a dark episode by comparison but so was Empire back in 1980. I was 8 years old when that came out, saw it theatrically and it's been my favorite film ever since. I plan on taking my Niece and Nephew (ages 5 & 7) to see Rogue One next week. They're huge fans of the animated series Rebels and I have no doubt they'll love this entry. There isn't anything in this film they can't handle.

Now I admittedly took some issue with TFA but it wasn't so much it's more lighthearted tone as it was it's lack of originality. Despite it's shortcomings I still enjoyed it very much. I'd hate to see a concious decision being made by Disney to make one group of films for the younger audience and the other for mature audiences. Just make good SW films, tell great stories and expand the scope of the SW Universe in a creative manner.
Hey HB, I'll reply to your post when I have more time back at home. Just didn't want you thinking I was ignoring your post.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #21855
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Oh is that what you meant by more "mature"? Good thing you explained the word's definition (see what I did there? ).

I think we established a while back you and I can do this all day. I was simply trying to avoid going down that road with my previous post. My views on Star Wars don't align with yours. Simple as that.
Do you have some sort of inferiority complex or something? I made comments in all seriousness and you turn it into some sort of contest. Yes, my comments are my opinion, I never said they weren't. I am also trying to explain, IMO, why there were two very different vibes from the films (which doesn't mean one is bad or one is good, just different).

Jesus dude, take a chill pill...
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #21856
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

I doubt many kids could explain what was going on in the first 45 min- 1 hr. The bit with the different rebellion factions added a bit of complexity to the movie (I loved the fact they did that). Even in the first 20 min when Cassian (I think) shot the guy in the back who told him about the Death Star I doubt many kids below 10 could explain why he did it.

This was very much more of an adult film and if they were going to Kid it up they would have had to remove some of the complex plots going on.

Yes Luminous, it's my opinion.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #21857
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I've heard more than one parent say their young child got bored during the first half of Rogue One which leads me to believe the pacing is better suited for adults than many of the other Star Wars movies.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #21858
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
I've heard more than one parent say their young child got bored during the first half of Rogue One which leads me to believe the pacing is better suited for adults than many of the other Star Wars movies.
I attended my second viewing with two kids 13 and 14 and while they enjoyed it at the end the beginning of the movie did struggle to keep their attention. I can only imagine what a younger child would make of it. I personally found the first 1/3 tedious enough and I liked the movie.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #21859
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Do you have some sort of inferiority complex or something? I made comments in all seriousness and you turn it into some sort of contest. Yes, my comments are my opinion, I never said they weren't. I am also trying to explain, IMO, why there were two very different vibes from the films (which doesn't mean one is bad or one is good, just different).

Jesus dude, take a chill pill...
I'll be honest I definitely read into your first post with a sense of condescension. The whole "that movie was made for kids" line in reference to TFA seemed very reminiscent of your "sheep" comments from last year. So my apologies if I misread the tone of your post , but I don't think anyone can blame me all things considered.

Not sure why you are getting bent out of shape about the opinions comment. Is it not true? They aren't your opinions and that I don't share them? I only said that to acknowledge your comment and move on. Seems like you might be reading into my comments as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
In response to HB's post I think what ParisDean just said pretty much sums it up. It's not that I don't think my kids can handle it. It's simply that the tone and pacing of this film isn't the same as the adventurous and fun setting of the Star Wars they've experienced so far. Yes the OT has it's dark moments but the entirety of R1 is essentially all serious with very very brief moments of levity. That doesn't even go into spoiler material that adds to that feeling. R1 is a great film... for adults. However, I feel the Star Wars saga has always been a fun experience for everyone. Again, I welcome more mature SW content. I just wish this story in particular, a direct prequel to the adventurous and fun original Star Wars was a little bit more in line with it's predecessors. Clearly not everyone agrees. Just clarifying where I'm coming from.

Last edited by Luminous; 12-23-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #21860
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Eyes Wide Shut (1999) - A New York City doctor, who is married to an art curator, pushes himself on a harrowing and dangerous night-long odyssey of sexual and moral discovery after his wife admits that she once almost cheated on him.

After watching it many times around the holidays, I still find it to be a fascinating movie that looks beautiful. I love how colorful Christmas lights permeate almost every scene. And Nicole Kidman--what a statuesque beauty she was back then. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote