Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

View Poll Results: DC Comics will revert back to original continuity in 1 to 2 years
Yes they will 30 76.92%
No they wont 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #171
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Go over to Newserama. Looks like a massive reboot.
Yeah, I've seen that article. I've read Geoff Johns' interview and not once does he say they're doing away with the New 52. Here are some quotes from Johns from his interview with CBR:

- "The whole point of 'Rebirth,' for all of us, is to get back to the essence of the characters,"

- "I really see this as an opportunity, and like I've said before, take all the characters and thematics that we love -- from the past and the present -- and build a story that brought them all together, revealed new secrets and truths and mysteries, and moved it all ahead. "

- "So although I won't spoil the story of 'DC Universe: Rebirth', I will say it's a mystery that explores what I think is perhaps the central element that's gotten lost: legacy."

That last quote is the closest thing his interview suggests that this relaunch will bring back elements from the pre-New 52 universe. Again, nothing that suggests the New 52 is simply being tossed aside though. Evidence of this is when Johns reiterates the fact that Rebirth isn't a reboot like the New 52 was:

- "Some things alter and change, but it's more character-driven, and it's also more about revealing secrets and mysteries within the DC Universe about 'Flashpoint' and The New 52 that are part of a bigger tapestry."

So far it seems to me that people are reading into this relaunch what they want to read into it. I'm not saying the New 52 is here to stay, but I also haven't seen anything to suggest it's being phased out either.

Last edited by Luminous; 02-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #172
protector2814
Phoenix

I just read the interview & still have no idea what the hell's going on.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...to-dc-universe

Open for interpretation is how I'd peg it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #173
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Where did you hear that? The only specifics I've seen are that it's a bunch of new #1 issues. Nothing to suggest reverting away from the New 52 universe though.
www.newsarama.com

Go to the article whose title is "DC Rolls Back the New 52 With Rebirth."

Last edited by wktf; 02-19-2016 at 11:20 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #174
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
www.newsarama.com

Go to the article whose title is "DC Rolls Back the New 52 With Rebirth."
Again, I've read that article. And while Newsarama chose the "Rolls Back the New 52" wording, nothing that Johns said definitively suggests that is what is happening.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #175
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Again, I've read that article. And while Newsarama chose the "Rolls Back the New 52" wording, nothing that Johns said definitively suggests that is what is happening.
The article says, "'The whole point of 'Rebirth,' for all of us, is to get back to the essence of the characters,' Johns said. "

I may be interpreting this too liberally, but the use of the phrase "get back to" tells me that Johns acknowledges DC's current take on their characters has moved those characters way from what he refers to as their "essence" or, what I'd call, their "core." And "back to" what? What came before the current DC universe? The pre-52 universe.

And, from this article...

http://www.newsarama.com/28045-dc-s-...takeaways.html

...you get the following:

" Kicking off with a series of "Rebirth Specials" then spilling into the new #1 issues and new series, the relaunch appears to be returning some of the characters to a status similar to their pre-"New 52" concepts, while also introducing new ideas. Two comic series will return to their original, pre-Flashpoint numbering: Action Comics #957 and Detective Comics #954."

Last edited by wktf; 02-19-2016 at 11:38 AM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #176
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I think that we're staying in the New 52, but they are going to shift the tone back to the pre-New 52. They are talking a lot about "legacy" which is missing from the current universe because you can't start with a legacy you have to build to it. They also said that everything from Action Comics #1 all the way through to the New 52 is relevant, so... who knows, to be honest. When Barry Allen and Hal Jordan came back those were "Rebirths" and were done within current continuity, no reboots. Apparently you can look at those two examples for what's being done to the entire DC Universe.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #177
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

good lord, how can you keep it all straight if some characters still have pre-52 history and some don't and they are all in the same universe. It's like trying to figure out the X-men.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #178
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
good lord, how can you keep it all straight if some characters still have pre-52 history and some don't and they are all in the same universe. It's like trying to figure out the X-men.
It's really not like that at all, at least not for any of the books I've read. No one truly had any real pre-52 history, but some had gone through some of the major events as they had before. I think at the beginning everyone was trying to make it all fit or figure out what had happened and what hadn't, but after a while most people reading the books just forgot about all that and focused on what was in front of them. I have always been more of a Marvel reader, but I read DC when big things happen or when there has been a good run here or there on different characters. I get what Johns is saying about the feeling missing from the books though. For all the complaints about DC's loooong history making things too convoluted or "heavy" I think the fact that they had so much history is what made their books so unique and gave them the feeling they now lack. You can't have "legacy" without history, and since they basically wiped out their history, we find ourselves waiting for a "Rebirth".
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #179
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
I think that we're staying in the New 52, but they are going to shift the tone back to the pre-New 52. They are talking a lot about "legacy" which is missing from the current universe because you can't start with a legacy you have to build to it. They also said that everything from Action Comics #1 all the way through to the New 52 is relevant, so... who knows, to be honest. When Barry Allen and Hal Jordan came back those were "Rebirths" and were done within current continuity, no reboots. Apparently you can look at those two examples for what's being done to the entire DC Universe.
This is what I got from the interview as well. Getting back to the "legacy" of the characters means that the rich history of certain characters needs to be reincorporated. Just because they want to acknowledge and revisit the iconic themes that made so many characters important doesn't mean they're going to undo the ground work they've built with the New 52. Johns said some things would change, but not that everything was reverting back to pre-New 52.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #180
ABDGUY
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

From newsarama:

DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns told fans that the first issue of Rebirth begins with a mysterious narrator saying, "I love this world, but there's something missing…”

That implies that Rebirth is "righting" some "wrongs" done by the "New 52" relaunch -- maintaining those ideas from the current DCU that work, but also returning some "missing" characters and concepts to the DC timeline.
ABDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote