Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #381
risingstar
Jedi Order

Spider-Man - Human Torch mini series (2011) by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton. This five issue mini series snapshots the remarkable and sometimes contentious relationship between Spiderman and the Human Torch. The story begins during year-1 at Marvel when Peter was still in high school and ends in the present, when he's a university professor. It's actually quite a touching story as the two have been through so much together over the years. As a long time Spidey and FF fan, I remembered most of these moments in real time. It took me back.

risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #382
Babytoxie
Ghost

I had forgotten about that one! As it's drawn by Templeton, I'll have to check it out.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #383
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I think Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is one of the best on-going comics out there right now. I like it more than the zombie Archie book that's being written right now by Aguirre-Sacasa. Both books reference classic film & books in the horror genre', but Sabrina uses more of them. This is absolutely written for the true fan of Horror. Lots of surprises!

BT - " Also, the reliance on earthtones in his watercolors gives the impression of an eternal October."

Great point!
I just finished this and was really disappointed. The story felt slow and plodding and the art at some points was so poor as to almost take me out of the story. Was surprised, but there it is.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #384
protector2814
Phoenix

Sorry that you didn't care for it. Oh well, we can't see eye-to-eye on everything.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #385
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Sorry that you didn't care for it. Oh well, we can't see eye-to-eye on everything.
True, alas, though this may well be the only example over the last several years.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #386
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Issue #1 of 'Reborn' by Mark Millar and Greg Capullo is pretty great. Can't wait for issue #2.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #387
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Just finished Gotham Central omnibus. I enjoyed this one a lot. Very cool to see the Gotham universe without a focus on Batman. There is one issue towards the end that must have been a one shot as part of an event at the time...it made no sense. A few arcs near the start had Batman come in at the end and "save the day", which I thought took away from the great story beforehand. Otherwise, great book.

Also recently finished Invincible ultimate collection volume 1. It was a quick, enjoyable read with a bit of a twist. I can see why the series is so popular.
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #388
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I read some mangas

Street Fighter Gaiden vol. 1 by Itou Mami
It was fun. It was kind of hard to tell what happened in some action panels but other than that i have no problem with the book. The Story is in the form of an indipendent short stories. I don't have a particular favorite among them, i enjoyed all of them. The light hearted fun extras of the book where they show Mr. Bison's love for heir braiding really put a smile on my face lol he braids Vega's heir ...LMAO... lol

Street Fighter Gaiden vol. 2 by Itou Mami
I really enjoyed this second volume too. There were two stories in this volume. First Ken and Ryu's first fight against Akuma which was started with a Ken mini story where Ken came to Japan to visit his master's grave cause it's the anniversary of the death of his master, Gouken. And at the end of the mini first part, Ken found his master's grave stone broken when he came to his master's grave next to the temple where he and Ryu trained under their master Gauken and Ken totally outraged by the insident then came the 2 part Cammy story where Cammy fought against Vega, a Shadaloo organization member from Cammy's unknown past and then 1 part Cammy, Chun Li and Fei Long story where Chun and Cammy were bodyguard for the movie star Fei Long. Fei long got attacked but Chun and Cammy easly defeated the attackers only to find out that Fei Long wanted them in his next movie and all this attack was a set up to show how skillful they were to his director. Cammy and Chun beated Fei Long when they found out that... and then Cammy got really attacked by an mysterious sniper... sniper missed and Cammy imidiatly got the sniper guy. then we came back to Ryu and Ken vs Akuma for the first time fight two part. Ken looked around the Temple for Ryu and felt this chi coming from Akuma, and found Akuma instead. They started to fight after changing some words, Akuma was like you should totally kill people, that's the way of the fist and Ken was like no way. Ryu felt that ken was in danger when Akuma and Ken started to fight so Ryu imidiatly started to look for them after falling from a tree that he was sleeping on... when Ryu came where Ken and Akuma fight, Akuma already totally kicked Ken's butt. then Ryu came and Akuma and Ryu started to fight and Akuma totally kicked Ryu's butt too wispering to Ryu at the end of the fight ''as long as you are a martial artist our paths will cross again.'' then Akume left. Ken and Ryu helped each other get up and checked each other out to see if they were ok and then they were like Akuma just left... well lets get better at fighting and kick his butt next time we meet ! (that's the spirit lol) as you can see, it's pretty much light hearted fun (except that one part where Vega sliced open a guy's throat with his claw... That wasn't light hearted lol) and i don't know why Akuma just didn't kill Ken and Ryu like he killed their master Gouken in this version of the story. It was better explained in the graphic novel: Street Fighter Classic: Hadoken and that was Akuma saw potential in Ryu to be a rival to himself so let him live and become an exceptinal fighter like himself till the next Street Fighter tournament... but there was no such an explanation in this manga but it was fun overall.

Berserk vol. 26 by Kentaro Miura
oh man... that Grunbeld apostle guy was huge... even dwarfed Zod... :O I don't know, even if Guts was in a good condition, he could take Grundbeld out. Guts really took a painful beating from Grunbeld, and he had already taken a terrible beating before that from Slan... that darn super sadist evil God hand woman. (actually came to propose an apostle position to Guts :O that was pretty interesting, i wonder where it would go if the skull knight didn't show up) And those rapist trolls were gross, don't get me wrong, i dug that gross design. lol And the berserker armors design after it took the Gut's inner animals shape was sick, that was a really really rad design. The manga ended in a very high climax, Guts wore the berserker armor with the help of the gang and was going back to kick Grunbeld's butt... and then they fought some and it ended there.

Berserk vol. 27 by Kentaro Miura
Unfortunatly the Grunbeld vs Guts fight didn't come to a conculution. Schierke had to make an astral journey in to Guts in berserker armor and she reached out to Guts who was lost in the armor's control in total rage. When Guts regained his control, he quited fighting against Grunbeld and went to rescue of the gang and then they ran away. The fight was happening at the forest of the witch Flora, so she interveined and stoped Grunbeld from following Guts and the gang.

Then we got in Emperor Ganishka story. He totally concured midland, and rebeled as an apostle against the lord of the all apostles Griffith. Ganishka's totally a monster. His evil rituals of making pregnant women give birth to demon babies is totally gross and messed up... And he feeds people to his crocodiles in a pitt and watches while it happens... ewww but it was totally in halloween spirit.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #389
risingstar
Jedi Order

Saga - TPB Volume 6 - written by Brian K. Vaughn and illustrated by Fiona Staples - collects issues 31-36. 7/10

As it had been a while since I read volume 5, I actually felt a bit lost at first, but eventually got my bearings. All this to say, this was a decent read even though so very little happens. The collected 6 issues could have easily been told in 2 issues. I liked it. However, as this book is continuous, you really have to start with volume 1 as you'll have no idea what's going on otherwise. Quite original storytelling but really slow in telling it. It's almost like watching Lost spread out over 18 seasons.

imgupload
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #390
xXx
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Neither a Marvel or DC book, and Don't know if anyone posted on this book! But, I just finished reading this, if you love the Lone Ranger, Here's a Really Good book to pick up and read, The Lone Ranger Omnibus Vol.1! Brett Matthews, Sergio Cariello, Paul Pope and John Cassady did a really good job in creating this story, Several surprises in the book and if you know any of the Lone Ranger history, they even hint of a Future hero in the story! And not bad for $26 dollars on amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/Lone-Ranger-O...ranger+omnibus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Ranger Omnibus vol 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	99665  
xXx is offline   Reply With Quote