Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #31
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
They say this was always intended to be a three season show, but I think there were things being sown into the narrative setting things up for the future. The flamboyant guy, forget his name, was off to Egypt. I assumed he'd return with a mummy from his trip, setting up the next monster, along with Jekyll and Hyde of course. The Hartigan character was interesting and had potential. I'm sure the psychiatrist had some back story to uncover. I was also hopeful we'd get the invisible man. Oh well, it was a good show, but can't say I don't welcome having one less show to watch.
I think that's damage control by Showtime and Logan.

I'm guessing this wasn't a ratings juggernaut for Showtime, so they decided to cancel and tacked on that "Series Finale" b/s to try and not piss off the fans.

Regardless, I have no reason to keep my Showtime subscription now.
candyrocket786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #32
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I think that's damage control by Showtime and Logan.

I'm guessing this wasn't a ratings juggernaut for Showtime, so they decided to cancel and tacked on that "Series Finale" b/s to try and not piss off the fans.

Regardless, I have no reason to keep my Showtime subscription now.
Exactly. I myself had no inclination that this was it or that it was heading towards a finale until THE END popped up onscreen. The show was definitely not a big ratings getter, nor did it have much media buzz and I think ultimately that's what killed it. I don't doubt that Vanessa's arc was written as a three season arc, but I believe that had the ratings been better there were more stories to tell.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #33
FROBAY
Phoenix

Nooooooo
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #34
Vallos
Jubilee

The ending, or cancellation, as I'm inclined to believe, sheds light on some of the developments, or lack thereof, during this season. The pace of character development was overly quick. The show always displayed good writing, even during this season, so I truly believe Showtime told the producers they would be pulling the plug sometime during the first half of principle photography, leading John Logan to compress the story. How else could you get Ethan turning from light to dark to light again in two episodes and Vanessa eagerly anticipating a battle, to waving a white flag in one episode? These guys are too good for such shortcomings.

I am going to miss this show dearly. It was my 1B to Game of Thrones' 1A.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #35
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
I don't recall them ever doing that with any of the "pay" channels shows. These shows are usually in the can by the time they air, as opposed to the network ones. It's probably due to the shorter seasons, but they usually cancel them after the season is done.
Didn't that happen with Deadwood? Penny Dread was one of the most enjoyable shows I've ever seen. The ending was a bit less than lackluster, but I don't hold that against the rest of the series. It did seem to wrap up way too quickly, and the final few eps definitely had some questionable cheese factors. Still, it didn't ruin my opinion of the show, as a whole. Great stuff!
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #36
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Didn't that happen with Deadwood?
It's been about ten years so I could be wrong, but I believe Deadwood was canceled either right before or right after the third season. Plus it did air a full third season and there were strong rumors that it would get a two hour finale at some point. It's been a while since I've watched it but while it didn't have a definitive finale, I don't recall any major loose ends being unresolved, not unlike PD. I really need to watch Deadwood again, it's been a while and I really loved it when it was on.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #37
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
They say this was always intended to be a three season show, but I think there were things being sown into the narrative setting things up for the future. The flamboyant guy, forget his name, was off to Egypt. I assumed he'd return with a mummy from his trip, setting up the next monster, along with Jekyll and Hyde of course. The Hartigan character was interesting and had potential. I'm sure the psychiatrist had some back story to uncover. I was also hopeful we'd get the invisible man. Oh well, it was a good show, but can't say I don't welcome having one less show to watch.
In the novel, "Dracula," Dr. Seward was a man and the head of an asylum where Renfield and other patients were receiving treatment. His offices became the central meeting point for Van Helsing and the other vampire hunters as they pursued Dracula. I had hopes that this Dr. Seward would join Sir Malcom in this series as one of the regular members of their team. But, when Van Helsing was killed so quickly in season one I figured they'd potentially be playing fast and loose with these classic characters going forward.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #38
Marvelito

I did not know that, I'm ashamed to say I've never read Bram Stoker's novel, but I figured Dr. Seward had a bigger role to play. It's a shame they could not keep the show going, I know there was plenty more story to tell.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #39
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

"Dracula" is well worth the read. I've read it several times and I always find it gripping. I love that it's told through chronologically ordered journal entries from multiple people, so you get the primal sense of fear each character is feeling from his or her own perspective.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 AM   #40
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
"Dracula" is well worth the read. I've read it several times and I always find it gripping. I love that it's told through chronologically ordered journal entries from multiple people, so you get the primal sense of fear each character is feeling from his or her own perspective.
Interesting, I appreciate the insight. I will definitely have to give it a long overdue read.