Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #41
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
I think I figured out what they did. They're using the Rodimus design from War for Cybertron: Kingdom. That design looks more like Hotrod than classic Rodimus. The guns he uses are the same shown with the statue. He does have his trailer that can detach and opens up but his vehicle altmode resembles Hotrod's car instead of a futuristic camper/red Kup You can google War for Cybertron: Kingdom Rodimus and you'll get plenty of pictures and toys.

The good news is if XM decides to do a Galvatron and it's from WFC:K he looks just like his classic design as do Cyclonus and Scourge.
Only problem is that the statue is supposed to be G1, not War for Cybertron. At $2k per statue, it really does need to be correct.

They are charging a premium price for these and have been taking shortcuts lately. The painting of Spike's head was barely passable and since Starscream, you don't even get an instruction manual. Instead, you get a link to a video. $2,000 and they can't be bothered to print a sheet with instructions? So years down the road, will YouTube still be there? Seems optimistic.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #42
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

It should be renamed into Hot Rod, since the only thing making it Rodimus is the gun.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #43
FeistyMidget
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
Well, there really wasn't a trailer so to speak. It wasn't like the Rodimus portion of the toy was a vehicle by itself. The back looked like a trailer, but it was just one large vehicle.
Which is why I think they must basing this off the Masterpiece line. I don't think you'd be able to design a Rodimus Prime that could logically transform from the full vehicle into robot mode and keep it visually consistent (e.g., the chest/body would be much too small). Which is why hasbro/takara designed their masterpiece figure the way they did. And probably directly impacts how xm would need to design it to get licensor approval.

This is also how later cartoons depicted him to resolve the issue of the transformation not really making any sense with the "trailer" having to roll in from offscreen to cover his legs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cgbosv9hkxk61.png
Views:	18
Size:	451.5 KB
ID:	138539   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF70DAAC-EDE3-46DA-A4FA-22238E126A24.png
Views:	18
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	138540  
FeistyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #44
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyMidget View Post
Which is why I think they must basing this off the Masterpiece line. I don't think you'd be able to design a Rodimus Prime that could logically transform from the full vehicle into robot mode and keep it visually consistent (e.g., the chest/body would be much too small). Which is why hasbro/takara designed their masterpiece figure the way they did. And probably directly impacts how xm would need to design it to get licensor approval.

This is also how later cartoons depicted him to resolve the issue of the transformation not really making any sense with the "trailer" having to roll in from offscreen to cover his legs.
I still want original G1 Rodimus alt mode. Most people who have commented thinks this looks like Hot Rod (and it does). You need something to differentiate between the two.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #45
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
I still want original G1 Rodimus alt mode. Most people who have commented thinks this looks like Hot Rod (and it does). You need something to differentiate between the two.
XM sort of got back to me. They are forwarding my questions and you guys concerns with the design department. Now we wait.

Just a heads up and I’m not defending this because I was taken by surprise by it with Optimus, but every one of my TF pieces has come with a sheet of paper showing where each piece goes in the box and that’s it. The last XM piece I got with actual instructions was LB Captain America. Spider Gwen was the last time I saw an actual poster that wasn’t a picture in the booklet that shouldn’t be called instructions. It’s obvious XM is going to push the go online for instructions route for everything soon. Megatron wasn’t even up in time at release. I had to figure him out myself lol. The bums couldn’t even include a plaque for my Bumblebee. Your concerns about what they include and the paint is warranted. I said it before, there is a noticeable quality drop from Optimus to SS so they can poop these out faster. I wrote it off as OP was their first so they took more time with it but as each one comes out I’ve noticed a small drop in quality. Sorry for the rant but it needs to be said.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #46
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

XM Studios News

"XM Studios is excited to present our next 1:10 Scale Transformers Premium Collectibles series statue, Rodimus Prime! Each handcrafted statue is individually hand-painted with the quality finish. Crafted from scratch, every nut, bolt and wire is lovingly designed and sculpted ground up by a team in mad love with the Transformers G1 era of cartoons. Inspired by one of our childhood favourite 80s cartoon, we took the G1's iconic form design and XM-ized them with modern details, to better fit in today's expectations of sophisticated robotry designs. We have spared no effort and designing these original pieces took our core team almost 2 years, resulting in an amazing balance of retro beauty with a sleek modern details."

XM Studios Facebook

GHeroes EU Master Distributor Facebook

GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #47
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #48
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
XM sort of got back to me. They are forwarding my questions and you guys concerns with the design department. Now we wait.

Just a heads up and I’m not defending this because I was taken by surprise by it with Optimus, but every one of my TF pieces has come with a sheet of paper showing where each piece goes in the box and that’s it. The last XM piece I got with actual instructions was LB Captain America. Spider Gwen was the last time I saw an actual poster that wasn’t a picture in the booklet that shouldn’t be called instructions. It’s obvious XM is going to push the go online for instructions route for everything soon. Megatron wasn’t even up in time at release. I had to figure him out myself lol. The bums couldn’t even include a plaque for my Bumblebee. Your concerns about what they include and the paint is warranted. I said it before, there is a noticeable quality drop from Optimus to SS so they can poop these out faster. I wrote it off as OP was their first so they took more time with it but as each one comes out I’ve noticed a small drop in quality. Sorry for the rant but it needs to be said.
It's not a rant. I'm in the same boat with you as I have every piece and all preorders except Nemesis Prime. Let's face it, these are premium priced statues. The cheapest one cost almost $1400 shipped and most are near or over the $2,000 mark shipped. At this price range, I expect excellent quality and a freaking instruction manual. Some of these statues are decently complex and I don't want to be looking at a video trying to figure out the next step with a piece of a statue in my hand. They're being cheap with the videos by not producing a simple instruction sheet. I'm not asking for the booklet that came with Optimus (though that would be nice).

Optimus was the best piece so far. Starscream was alright. Megatron looked good, but the two differently sized heads seemed odd. Bumblebee was alright but the paint job on Spike's head annoyed me - his hair was a brown blob and his teeth were a white blob. Even cheap DC pieces look better than what they produced.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #49
Cmac
Mephisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
We have spared no effort and designing these original pieces took our core team almost 2 years, resulting in an amazing balance of retro beauty with a sleek modern details."
Two years and they weren't even sure what they were referencing and produced an oversized Hot Rod with a Rodimus gun and called him Rodimus Prime. This is up there with Tweeterhead producing a Skeletor bust with an infant's skull.

If they do Ultra Magnus, you better hope it isn't a white Optimus.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #50
Cletus007
Fantastic Four

Just tuned in and had a first look on this piece. I like the way how they depict him. Personally i hoped for a different pose, but it's fair enough. I do understand the Hot Rod/ Rodimus debate. Really curious if Eternal gets an answer on this. And i totally understand your annoyance with the shortcuts on these pieces. A booklet or detailed instruction manuel has always been a welcome addition in the unboxing process. It's a service you can expect with premium priced statues like these.
Cletus007 is offline   Reply With Quote