Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
feste
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Too much, too fast--controlling spending

As I watch SDCC drop another pile of great statues and bust on us and notice quite a few of us joking about the cost, I was wondering how others deal with the very real issue of collection vs. cost. If I only bought from one company, I think I could handle it. For example, Bowen only releases so much product per month. But when I add Sideshow, DST, DCD for my superhero collecting, I simply run into months where too many preorders hit at once and my credit card takes a dive. There was a run where I couldn't even dig out for a few months.

I only collect superheroes now, having given up Star Wars to save money. I know some of us collect many different lines of statues/busts. Are their lines you've given up to save money? How do others manage? Do you just buy from one company to avoid this problem?

I'm also running out of space, but that's another problem for another time.
feste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Nightwinger
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

As bueatiful as ALOT of stuff is.
I ONLY stick to Superhero stuff.

I LOVE alot of the Star Wars stuff. The Clone Wars animated stuff...

But,I enjoy it from afar,only.
Nightwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
paulieb60
Kindly Asked To Leave

The way to avoid it is to only buy what you really like. I know that's easier said than done but listening to some of these people on here I've got to wonder where their priorities are. All of them can't be making that much money to have that much disposable income. Collecting for the sake of collecting is an addiction. Who are you favorite movie and comic book characters? Once you narrow that down, decide on how much time, money and space that you want to devote to resin statues of fictional characters. For example I love Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four/Dr. Doom. I have Bowen FS of these characters. I don't want and certainly don't need multiple versions of these things to lead a full and happy life. Sure Dath Maul looks cool but he's in a small portion of a basically lame flick. He didn't make the cut. It took me a long time to get to this stage in my life and I feel quite liberated. What do I do with the extra dough? Let's see: Put some in the bank, go out with real (not internet forum) friends, enjoy good meals and concerts, go on vacations and actually experience life, give to my favorite charities, buy clothing that I can wear to something other than a comic con and not look like a dork. I'm not saying to give up your possesions or your collection, just prune the branches a little. You'll be glad that you did.
paulieb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
bat_collector
Galactus

I sold all my star wars stuff due to this. I have ordered the 1/4 boba fett, but only becuase I think that's the definitive version of the one character I love in star wars.

Other than that, just superhero stuff for me. And I try not to collect a full set of something that includes characters I do not like.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I only stick with my fav characters in superhero area, and anything street fighter i buy up!

So now i am selling off everythig else i can thats in my storage closet (Star wars, transformers etc.) to buy up all these great items. Plus when something new hits i see what i can part with to make some cash for the new and bigger and better items.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulieb60
The way to avoid it is to only buy what you really like. I know that's easier said than done but listening to some of these people on here I've got to wonder where their priorities are. All of them can't be making that much money to have that much disposable income. Collecting for the sake of collecting is an addiction. Who are you favorite movie and comic book characters? Once you narrow that down, decide on how much time, money and space that you want to devote to resin statues of fictional characters. For example I love Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four/Dr. Doom. I have Bowen FS of these characters. I don't want and certainly don't need multiple versions of these things to lead a full and happy life. Sure Dath Maul looks cool but he's in a small portion of a basically lame flick. He didn't make the cut. It took me a long time to get to this stage in my life and I feel quite liberated. What do I do with the extra dough? Let's see: Put some in the bank, go out with real (not internet forum) friends, enjoy good meals and concerts, go on vacations and actually experience life, give to my favorite charities, buy clothing that I can wear to something other than a comic con and not look like a dork. I'm not saying to give up your possesions or your collection, just prune the branches a little. You'll be glad that you did.
That's a very healthy and rational approach you take. I think while there are a group of collectors out there who have both the means and the space to collect just about everything in sight, most collectors do not. I remember when I first started out it was easy keeping up because there just wasn't that much product. No more. And the recent explosion of product, much of it quite nice has got me to the point where I know there are decisions to be made. I'll just have to learn to admire some things from afar and get that which I truly want and can display. It's just that old habits die hard but die they must.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This is a really good thread as most of us experience this to some degree (nobody buys everything that appeals to them). I tend to prioritize it in my head and as stuff is released I make decisions. For me, Hulk stuff is my first passion and I try to make sure I have funds to buy any Hulk stuff that appeals to me. If I keep up and can get other pieces, I pick them up as well. I try to get the Bowen stuff that I like and plan in advance as we get plenty of notice of stuff before it comes out. BD Apoc is an example of something that was a sure thing for me as I love the sculpt. I was planning to pre-order this when the new PF Hulks were announced. Now I have to rethink this and make sure I can get them all. PF's first and then APoc if funds are available.

It can get frustrating for sure
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
feste
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Another thought I had was the preorder problem. Since release dates move so much, my "budget" gets thrown all out of whack from preorders. But you have to preorder for many items...so I'm at the mercy of the calendar and when items ship. Thankfully, both Bowen and Sideshow have cancelled orders for me when the money hasn't been there, even though I preordered.
feste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
Crom
Loki

I buy something only if i can display it, imeediately or in teh future months. I also only buy Bowen, not because I don't like other companies product but because of consistency, price and how closely it meets my tastes.

As mcuh as I would love to start buying GG's star Wars full-size status, I just can't justify the cost. Superheroes are my first favorite. If Star Wars was my favorite or DC heroes, I would probably buy exclusively Gentle Giant, Sideshow or DC Direct. I might buy the occassional piece which I think can stand on its own, like a Frazetta statue. It really does mean a lot to me that my collection displays well. I like the feeling of continuity in the Bowen line, both MB & FS. If I had more money I would likely buy mre stuff, but I don't think the "philosophy" of my collecting would change drastically.

As other say, buy what you like. Bus also, when you buy that product ask yourself where you plan to put it. If it is going to sit in a box for two years, is it really worth it?
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #10
yodanut
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
And the recent explosion of product, much of it quite nice has got me to the point where I know there are decisions to be made. I'll just have to learn to admire some things from afar and get that which I truly want and can display. It's just that old habits die hard but die they must.
This is where I'm at right now....struggling to draw the line. Getting way into debt and there's just TOO much stuff coming out. Not to mention the fact that although I have a room that's just for statues....I'm almost at full capacity. With all these announcements, I've pretty much hit the breaking point. I started about two years ago, buying everything I liked while catching up too. Now, I have a huge credit card debt and every time I think I'm almost caught up, there's another con with about $2K worth of stuff that I want. Liking something can no longer be my basis for a purchase. Ahh...but it's soooo hard.

C'mon...there has to be a Collectors Anonymous group, somewhere.
yodanut is offline   Reply With Quote