Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Maverick177uk
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

HM Customs and Fed Ex + Mace

Has anyone in the UK received a bill from Fedex yet, I just got one through for nearly £23 for the VAT and admin costs for getting Mace into the country. Customs reckonened that thay should charge me VAT on the shipping cost value of £44 for Mace, its bloody ridiculous another example of rip off Britain, oh and Im expecting another bill for second Mace.
Mace = £40
Shipping = £25
Customs/Admin = £23
God I love this country NOT.
Ive had loads of stuff through UPS and only ever get VAT on the item not the bloody shipping.
Maverick177uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Trilogy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

They should always charge VAT/duties on the shipping, even when you don`t pay for shipping. If you get free shipping they will calculate the cost and add it to your invioce. They have to by law.
Trilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Maverick177uk

The thing is SW charged me £25 fro shipping then HM customs deem it to be £44, the package is tiny as most of you know, they just want to step on the little man again because they know this country and its prices are a joke.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Trilogy

Do you mean customs calculated the shipping cost at £44?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Trilogy

By my calculations you should have been charged approximately £18.00.

Unfortunately import fees are never exact. You could have two pieces arrive at customs together, both pieces cost the same and weigh the same and are the same size. When you get an invioce for each one, they will have different totals.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #6
Maverick177uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy View Post
Do you mean customs calculated the shipping cost at £44?
Yep SW shop charged me £25, but customs put down £44. And the other thing is Fedex charge me £7 admin costs, they should maybe factor this in when they get there deal with SW to do all there shipping, oh wait this would look bad then on you receipt from SWshop, so the customer gets another bill they didnt know about later on
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Trilogy

I would phone FedEx and enquire why they`ve charged you on a calculated shipping fee, when you have a shipping fee on the goods invoice. They will probably pass it onto their finacial department to investigate and get back to you. You may get a small refund.
Nothing you can do about the admin fee though.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
The Dark Side
Death is hereditary.

You pay VAT/duties on the value of the item which the company has stated on the shipping document and not for the postal costs. For some reason you will always get charged when a company ships by Fedex and Parcel Force. Every time I buy from SW they always use Fedex and I always get hammered with VAT/duties.
The Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Side View Post
You pay VAT/duties on the value of the item which the company has stated on the shipping document and not for the postal costs. For some reason you will always get charged when a company ships by Fedex and Parcel Force. Every time I buy from SW they always use Fedex and I always get hammered with VAT/duties.
You do pay VAT on pastal charges. You pay VAT on the total cost of the import.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #10
Maverick177uk

Ye but they shouldnt have the cheek to charge me an admin fee of £7 for processing my order, my understanding of shipping and handling is just that, just like in my email I sent to them you dont pay for a taxi ride home then get billed later for a fuel bill do you, what it states is what you should pay, in fact Im not going to let this lie, Im seriously thinking of contacting Watchdog on the BBC about it. If shipping and handling staes £25 thats what I pay, not an extra £7 for admin, that should be included in the original fee. I think if FeDEx passed this on to SWS then SWS may consider another carrier as shipping and handling costs would not look good to their customers.