Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Tweeterhead

Old 12-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #171
pdenham
Teen Titans

Unless the pose revolves around him actively charging his ring, I personally think it's cheesy- as well as creatively lazy- to include the lantern.

But then again, people keep buying Batman standing with one knee up on a gargoyle, so what do I know?
Spoiler
not much, obviously.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #172
Kebron
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You mean...
Ha! Yep. That one. didnt realize it was already suggested.
Kebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 PM   #173
Kebron
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Unless the pose revolves around him actively charging his ring, I personally think it's cheesy- as well as creatively lazy- to include the lantern.

But then again, people keep buying Batman standing with one knee up on a gargoyle, so what do I know?
Spoiler
not much, obviously.
Different tastes I guess. I find the battery to be a essential part of the character thus I like it to be included in someway. Doesn’t mean I won’t buy it if it doesn’t have it the statue does look great on its own.
Kebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #174
pdenham
Teen Titans

Chad wants this line to be a DC equivalent to what Bowen did with Marvel and that means a lot of stoic, museum poses.

I get it, that's fine. the simpler they are, the lower he can keep the price point.

But then if you are going to get more creative and into quasi-action style themes, why does it have to be more similar than different to what all the other companies are doing with their interpretations?

So many of these characters fly, yet I hardly ever see that being expressed. Sure Starfire is one example, and that's great.
But if ever a character was ideally suited to a flying/levitating pose, it's GL. That's because the figure would already have a logical, built-in method of support vis-Ã--vis his construct.

this took all of 45 seconds to brainstorm and scribble out.
Spoiler

The construct could be a sack, or a big scoop, holding a bunch of missiles, part of a spacecraft, or whatever.

Not saying I need to see this (or something like it) happen. Although I really think it would be very cool to see something a little more daring, engineering wise, that is done in the simpler level of detail of this line, as opposed to hyper-realistic, style of SS and IS and XM.

I'm just saying it's kind of disheartening to see people applauding creativity that is really little more than tweaking a concept that is already oft used.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:11 PM   #175
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Chad wants this line to be a DC equivalent to what Bowen did with Marvel and that means a lot of stoic, museum poses.

I get it, that's fine. the simpler they are, the lower he can keep the price point.

But then if you are going to get more creative and into quasi-action style themes, why does it have to be more similar than different to what all the other companies are doing with their interpretations?

So many of these characters fly, yet I hardly ever see that being expressed. Sure Starfire is one example, and that's great.
But if ever a character was ideally suited to a flying/levitating pose, it's GL. That's because the figure would already have a logical, built-in method of support vis-Ã--vis his construct.

this took all of 45 seconds to brainstorm and scribble out.
Spoiler

The construct could be a sack, or a big scoop, holding a bunch of missiles, part of a spacecraft, or whatever.

Not saying I need to see this (or something like it) happen. Although I really think it would be very cool to see something a little more daring, engineering wise, that is done in the simpler level of detail of this line, as opposed to hyper-realistic, style of SS and IS and XM.

I'm just saying it's kind of disheartening to see people applauding creativity that is really little more than tweaking a concept that is already oft used.
That's a cool design idea, but you can imagine the leaning issues that might develop over time.

I would love to see flying statues without a support rod, but so far, no one has taken up the idea of hanging statues from the ceiling. I might try to do that with the Bombshells Harley Quinn statue one day.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #176
pdenham
Teen Titans

A concept can be relatively quick and easy to come by.

It's the engineering that would take a little more thought/work and maybe trial and error. To my mind it's just a matter of figuring out the proper balance and weight distribution. Casting part of the figure as solid and other parts as hollow should work I would think (but confess I don't really know).

I'm really just lobbying for a little more ...adventurousness... in the preliminary concept phase, and not just relying on throwing associated props in willy nilly.

If TH came up with a truly creative way to incorporate the lantern with this, I'll happily acknowledge it and congratulate them!

And if I don't think they did, I'll just keep my mouth shut as I've already said my piece here.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 PM   #177
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I'm really just lobbying for a little more ...adventurousness... in the preliminary concept phase, and not just relying on throwing associated props in willy nilly.
I agree, I'm tired of statues waiting for the bus. That's why the Joelle Jones Batgirl was so great!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #178
pdenham
Teen Titans

and that is precisely something I would classify as inspired and adventurous.

I thought it was odd, off beat and interesting when I first saw it.
It didn't seem to make sense to me but I gave it points for being compositionally interesting- which I was assuming was the only point to the pose.
That was until I saw it in person and it was clear that she wasn't just doing gymnastics for the hell of it, but was actually posing for a selfie.

That "concept" tied it all together and vaulted it to the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned.

Not having read this iteration of the character either (i do have a trade sitting here in the to read pile), I get the feeling her playful exuberance on display also represents some quality that is appropriate and unique to this incarnation of the character, and not just done like that for purely aesthetic purposes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #179
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Not having read this iteration of the character either (i do have a trade sitting here in the to read pile), I get the feeling her playful exuberance on display also represents some quality that is appropriate and unique to this incarnation of the character, and not just done like that for purely aesthetic purposes
Barbara Gordon has always been a joyful and optimistic character. I love that recent writers have emphasized this aspect of her personality.

Btw, depending on how you pose your statues, she's not necessarily taking a selfie.

Spoiler

Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #180
pdenham
Teen Titans