Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-19-2024, 11:16 AM   #1
Lorrcan
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Statue can't be removed from the base!

I had a bloke turn up today to collect my P1 Aragorn, but the legs won't come off the stand. I used so much strength I'm worried it will break off at the ankle. It's truly a sword in the stone type situation. Any advice? The guy has made a long trip. Fortunately, he's spending a few days down here, so I have a bit of time to find a solution. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Lorrcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:40 AM   #2
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Is there any gap at all between the bottom of the foot peg leg and the base?
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:47 AM   #3
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrcan View Post
I had a bloke turn up today to collect my P1 Aragorn, but the legs won't come off the stand. I used so much strength I'm worried it will break off at the ankle. It's truly a sword in the stone type situation. Any advice? The guy has made a long trip. Fortunately, he's spending a few days down here, so I have a bit of time to find a solution. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
It sounds like the polystone has expanded over time, and created an interference fit between the peg and hole. Do you live in a hot environment? You could try placing the statue in a freezer for a few hours in an attempt to induce material shrinkage....but God only knows if this would work, or how long it might take.

Another option, might be to apply heat to the area directly, to soften the material so you can extract the peg from the hole. A blow dryer on full power might be enough.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #4
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Another option, might be to apply heat to the area directly, to soften the material so you can extract the peg from the hole. A blow dryer on full power might be enough.
This right here. Don't put the end of the blower up against the statue. Give it about 5 minutes then the old shaka shaka very carefully. Keep applying the heat till it budges.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:40 PM   #5
SDguy

Looking forward to reading how this turns out. I have a statue where the removable head is no longer removable....
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:46 PM   #6
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Looking forward to reading how this turns out. I have a statue where the removable head is no longer removable....
Years ago, I was going to sell Prime 1's Age of Extinction Optimus Prime Ultimate on eBay. I think it retailed over 2K at the time. I had the pictures done and was ready to box up and list. The legs seized inside the body keyholes from pressure and settling. I managed to get one leg out with an hour of tinkering. I almost had the second one out, but the force was so strong it split the solid polystone body almost in two. Unsalvageable, couldn't repair it, wouldn't even dream of selling it like that. In the trash it went. Even being careful sometimes isn't enough.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:50 PM   #7
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post

Applying heat does sound like the best option at this point.
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:07 PM   #8
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
Years ago, I was going to sell Prime 1's Age of Extinction Optimus Prime Ultimate on eBay. I think it retailed over 2K at the time. I had the pictures done and was ready to box up and list. The legs seized inside the body keyholes from pressure and settling. I managed to get one leg out with an hour of tinkering. I almost had the second one out, but the force was so strong it split the solid polystone body almost in two. Unsalvageable, couldn't repair it, wouldn't even dream of selling it like that. In the trash it went. Even being careful sometimes isn't enough.
Yikes!! Looks like I'm never selling good ol' Grommash Hellscream
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:18 PM   #9
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalblue02 View Post
In the trash it went. Even being careful sometimes isn't enough.
Damn, sorry to hear that!
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:22 PM   #10
Lorrcan
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Damn, sorry to hear that!
Thanks guys. I might try the hair dryer. I'm reluctant to use any more force. I don't want to let the guy down, but there's no point in losing the statue for nothing. It's been in a cold room for a few hours, but I can't imagine that will help much. I'll let everyone know the outcome, whatever happens...
Lorrcan is offline   Reply With Quote