Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreolum View Post
You misunderstand me, I'm not bashing on anyone for enjoying the comic, everyone with their own tastes. The drooling critics part refer to the actual critics, or as dark knight put it, "the authorities"; they are the one I'm bashing because they are the ones with the agenda of rejecting this and that and praising only works that check the boxes.

Your comment reinforces my point that the love it gets is largely driven by the subject, the emotional connection; remove that and you're left with decent writing and very weak art (yes, I do find this part very important when it comes to comics, otherwise I'd rather read a novel), something many mediocre comics have.

And illiterate would make me unable to read the comic, wouldn't make much sense to call me that for reading and not enjoying it.
Fair enough and thanks for clarifying. And by “illiterate,” I was going for the more current or commonly used meaning of poorly educated:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/illiterate?s=t

I actually think Maus is brilliantly written, rather than decent writing. And I certainly see why you think the art is weak but, to me, it’s art’s starkness is part of the blend of words and pictures that makes Maus so riveting. But, I love the much more refined art in the Magneto and Sgt. Rock books in the link I’d previously referenced, too.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #12
KELPIE
New Republic

Here's a good vlog on the art of Maus: How to design a comic book page

As for graphic novels, some that I like are:

The Quest for the Time Bird
Transformers - Last Stand of the Wreckers
Asterix (any of them)
100 Bullets
Bone
We3
The Boys
Goon (any of them)
Rising Stars
Madame Mirage (90's schtick with female lead. I love it)
Happy (get in on the ground floor before the TV show is released)

I second:
Saga
Mouse Guard
Fables
Sex Criminals

I really didn't like Y - the last man, for reasons that I won't mention due to the potential to spoil or influence opinions, however it is worth the read.

Another one that I think doesn't live up to the hype is The Watchmen, however it's one you should read for the sake of comics and understanding it as an entertainment medium.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #13
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I think most of the good stories have already been listed. However, I would like to throw down Batgirl year one, and Darwyn Cooke's run on Catwoman. Both were pretty cool short stories to me!

Enjoy and try to stay away from anything post 2012 Marvel :P
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #14
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

I agree with the New 52 Wonder Woman recommendations too. That's mythology and female superhero stories done very well.

Not mythology, comedic or women-centric, but I love Alan Moore's Miracleman. It's one of the greatest superhero stories I've ever read.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #15
Tushar
Hellboy

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldguy View Post
I want to read something with mythology-driven storylines, and more comedic stories. I also am curious about reading more female superhero stories.

I like omnibuses, but I can do trades.
Mythology-driven? Female hero?

I'd point you in the direction of the Greg Rucka run on Wonder Woman.

That's vol. 2 #195–226 (August 2003–February 2006).

Get the trades, you won't regret it.

There is some humor present, but it's occasional and situational, as opposed to relying on one-liners and contrived plots.

(Btw, in case the trades don't include it, you'll need at least one issue of the Flash and one issue of Justice League. I could look up the numbers for you if you're interested.)
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote